2003 GMC Sierra 2500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 GMC Sierra 2500:

2003 GMC Sierra 2500 Owner Comments

Sep 142016

Sierra 2500

ABS comes on at low speed.. it increases stopping distance.. I have once rear ended a vehicle because of this. There was no damage to either vehicle.. also my ABS light come on for a few seconds maybe two or three times a month..

- New Baltimore, MI, USA

Apr 152016

Sierra 2500

Brake line failed, no brakes while heading for a red light. Drive off road till vehicle stopped. Brake line from master cylinder to ABS control, rotted out. Upon further inspection, all brake lines are rotted out. My mechanic states they all need to be replaced, it will happen again.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Jul 182015

Sierra 2500

Brake line rusted through and lost all braking capability. Luckly it happened pulling into my driveway and not on the highway! fuel lines rusted through and leaking fuel puddling onto the ground.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Dec 132015

Sierra 2500

Severely rusted brake lines that split. Main line from master cylinder to ABS module and rear line just inboard of LH rear tire. Pedal went to the floor on city street when driving.

- South Bend, IN, USA

Jul 132014

Sierra 2500 8-cyl Diesel

II put new brake calipers on my truck today and had my wife pumping the brake peddle as I bled the brakes and got to the last caliper rears then the 2 fronts when she told me the brake peddle was not holding like it was, and then smoke came out from under the truck and I looked underneath & seen brake fluid everywhere below drivers door the fluid under pressure blew over against the hot engine components as U have to run engine when bleeding the lines lucky I guess it did not catch fire, but after I got on the internet trying to find a replacement I found that is a common problem, I did see the other lines looked bad also the fuel lines looked the same good thing it happened in the driveway at home. Maybe would have been better off if it burnt down, G.M should fix all of these problems with these trucks on their dime as much as these trucks cost. !!

- Freedom, IN, USA

May 032014

Sierra 2500

Driving to work one day, a car in front of me suddenly stopped to turn left. I hit my brakes and felt a "pop" and the brake peddle went straight to the floor, no brakes. I was traveling about 55 mph so at that point, I am a 55 mph spear on wheels. I swerved to the right and drove across someone's driveway and through their yard. This weekend was the city wide garage sales, and thankfully, these folks were not having a sale in their driveway or yard, or else this could have been a terrible accident. The only rust issue with this truck is the brake lines and fuel lines. If your lines rust before your body rust, then I feel there is a serious design flaw. If it was something else rusting then it wouldn't be as big of a deal. But when you are talking brake lines, it is just a matter of time before this flaw causes another catastrophic brake failure, leading to an accident involving serious injury or death. A 10 year old truck should not have this problem. I have owned vehicles that were 15, 20 years old and have never had to replace brake lines. Someone's life is worth so much more than a cheaply made brake line.

- Bluffton, IN, USA

Dec 102013

Sierra 2500 4WD 8-cyl

I cross the route 18 on Massachusetts when the brake is completely gone almost involved in accident.

- Abington, MA, USA

May 312012

Sierra 2500 8-cyl Diesel

Slowing down approaching a stop lite, applied brakes was a shudder of anti lock and pedal went down to floor. Had to apply emergency brake to avoid a crash.

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA