8.0

2003 GMC Sierra 2500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 GMC Sierra 2500:

2003 GMC Sierra 2500 Owner Comments

Feb 142006

Sierra 2500 HD Diesel

At 20,000 miles a cracked torque converter was replaced. Cost us about 300.00 in rental. At about 32 the engine Backfired in the home depot parking lot. Dealer says that that is imposible Diesels don't Backfire. So naturally we don't know anything. A few miles later going down the HWY it starts backfiring for about 3 seconds. Now it never backfired again after that but my fuel mileage went down to 16.9. Which isn't bad except they advertise a lot better. Which is one of the reasons I bought it. It was almost up to 19 mpg. When it started going down hill. I complained about the mileage and the back fire. (I have been a mechanic for 20 years). What they told me at the dealer was "diesels don't backfire" and "we are not going to do anything about your fuel mileage". So that leaves me where we are at now. Towed home sitting in my driveway broke down. The last I had it in to the dealer (a different one) I had about 8,000 miles to go on my warranty so I took it in the engine would surge slightly but enough to be noticeable and I have a vibration at 78-83. I left it with them for three days. They did absolutely nothing. I got back and they didn't check the vibration because nobody can go that fast on the freeways here in California and they didn't notice any surging. (Answer-no engine code no problem).

Right after this it started dying in the morning and then you would have to go pump the primer to get it started and it would run fine. Didn't do it every morning and no engine code. That is where I am at now. It sits by my Garage missing its daily outings.

- , Shingletown, CA, USA