2.1

2001 GMC Sierra 3500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 GMC Sierra 3500:

2001 GMC Sierra 3500 Owner Comments

Sep 062013

Sierra 3500 4WD 8-cyl

My 2001 GMC Sierra 3500 with a 8.1L V8 engine stalled while on the freeway. It would not restart until a "cool" down period. This problem surfaced as not being able to start the engine after it had run and then set for 30 - 60 minutes and would not start until several attempts were made to start it. This has been an ongoing problem for the last year and has progressed to the stall on the freeway. I was finally able to get an engine failure code from the vehicle listed as crankshaft position sensor failure. Upon doing some research I found the recall from GMC (06083 -- crankshaft position sensor engine stall) and called the dealer which informed me that my VIN was not covered under the recall. I then called GMC's customer service and explained that I'm having the exact problems listed on the exact vehicle with the exact engine listed. Also I have since found 3 other complaints with NHTSA of this exact same problem on other vehicles that were not covered. It is evident to me that this problem exists beyond the block of VIN's GMC recalled and should be extended to cover these other vehicles. GMC does not seem to be interested in extending this recall and it should be looked into as a vehicle stalling on the freeway is an extremely dangerous situation that should be resolved.

- Conway, AR, USA