2010 GMC Terrain brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 GMC Terrain:

2010 GMC Terrain Owner Comments

May 032016

I purchased this vehicle last May 2015 with no warning indicators working my vehicle loss excessive oil and now needing a new engine, how does a vehicle lose 4.5 quarts between a oil changes. Now I'm stuck with the cost of repairs for installing a new engine and the extended warranty and GM motors refused to help me with repairs. I have six children at home I provide for and now will be eating a new engine at the dinner table for the next four years! thanks a lot GM for not living up to your name im going to Toyota next vehicle. The good thing I was parked at a store when the vehicle gave out with no warning!!!!!!!

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Sep 232015

Had many, many occurrences with the stabilitrak. First occurrence 9/23/15. Found the problem 12/16/15. With an est. Mileage of 48,379. The vehicle would come to a stop while in motion. Twice while on major freeway driving 60+ miles per hour. No matter how much I pressed on the gas the vehicle would not go. Very unpredictable. Twice looked over by a GMC dealer and found nothing.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 152016

I have had car speed up accelerate not accelerate burn oil and loss of engine power body throttle and mobile stabilizer codes and it's un safe I have children dealership wil not honor so called warranty

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jan 182016

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Terrain. While driving various speeds, the stabilitrak warning indicator illuminated and the speed decreased to 30 mph. The failure occurred on two occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing, but the details could not be provided. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 76,000. The VIN was not available.

- Montrose, MO, USA

Jan 272016

When in motion stabilitrak light comes on, I receive the message "engine powering down", car slows down to 10 miles an hour. You must pull off on side of road turn car off wait approximately 60 sec and restart car. This is so unsafe I am afraid to take it on expressways. Took to dealership they claimed it was timing chain at cost of $2000. Got GM and dealership to pay part of cost. Then was told it needed a serpentine belt at an additional cost of course. Picked car up and the very next morning the car did it again. Took vehicle back to dealership and am now being told it needs a throttle body at an additional cost of $400. Check engine light has been on the whole time. Do they really know whats wrong with it or just shooting in dark while I spend more money. This is a safety hazard!! car was brought in while still under warranty for check engine light they were never able to diagnose a problem.

- Ortonville, MI, USA

Dec 292015

I ordered this vehicle in 12/2009 and received it 2/2010. There have been several recalls and most recently I had to replace cam shaft accuators and high pressure fuel pump to the tune of $1800. My wife was driving home from work and the car was rattling and vibrating like it had two flat tires. Before that she informed that the service engine and stabilitrak lights had come on. There is a noise that rattles in the exhaust and I have had problems with the heater not working in the cold days of Wisconsin. I am highly disappointed in GMC, who received a "bail out" now owners of this vehicle need a "bail out" from this terrible design of a vehicle.

- Milwauke, WI, USA

Dec 052015

My car is idling when it suddenly begins to idle roughly then stalls. There is a "reduced engine power" warning that appears with the check engine light, and "service stabilitrak" with the stabilitrak light. This has happened 3 times, twice when the vehicle was stationary, another time in motion, driving on a city street, and I was able to pull over before it died. In reading other complaints, this seems to be a known safety issue for 2010 GMC Terrains and should be investigated as a recall issue.

- Hanford, CA, USA

Aug 272015

Okay…the truck first started with the car alarm going off at anytime. We went to the dealership and said nothing was wrong. We took it home and nothing. Then the everything in the front board (radio screen, dashboard) was staying on when no one was in the car an off when someone drives it. We took it back to the dealership and and said something about the a timer. We bought warranty and it didn't cover it. Okay, I ask if it would be a problem to wait 2 weeks for I can have money to fix it later and they said yeah. A couple of days after. A family member drives the car on the freeway and the car just shuts down on her. We took it back to the dealership and now they are saying it's the camshaft. The warranty doesn't cover that either. Still being patient, I declined service because I had not enough money for the fix and find odd that is a different problem. Couple days after, the car won't turn on. It would only turn on when it feels like it. Long story short. Took it back to the dealership and now they are say is the battering. Got into an arguments talk to every supervisor because they don't know whats the problem but whatever it is is not covered by the warranty. Was able to get GM to pay something for repairs and paid only deductible. Car is fix from everything. Okay week, later the car is repeating the steps. Took the car immediately to the dealership and they are saying there's nothing wrong. I'm getting frustrated now, they are not checking the car and it gets worse when I bring it back.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 012015

While driving traction control, AWD, and ABS system shuts off prompting to service stabilitrak. Upon taking the vehicle to dealer nothing is found. But im forced to drive without key safety features. My stopping time is drastically increased making it harder to feel safe knowing I have to drive in various weather conditions with out ABS. Even normal city driving has been nerve wrecking. I purchased this vehicle 8 days ago and have been back to the dealer 4 times for the same issue.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Nov 242014

Driving back from a two hour trip at aprox 55 mph our 2010 GMC started flashing "reduced engine power" with the check engine light, and "service stabilitrak" with the stabilitrak light. Speed dropped down to about 30 mph without control. The car was idling heaving with rmps jumping. We pulled over to the side of the road and restarted the car, the only light that remained on was the check engine light. Speed control was restored. By the time we made it home, aprox 20 miles, the check engine light turned off. Then a couple weeks later again, twice in one night, back to back. I called the dealer for an appointment because I assumed it would be covered by a GMC warranty, they did not have availability for 7+ days. The night before my appointment it happened again but did not correct itself and we had to drive it to the dealership at 30 mph. I just received the news, $800 later, it needs a new throttle body, exhaust cam solenoid and another repair to the camshaft. I do not have the paperwork back from the dealer yet for additional details, but am disappointed that this is a common problem with the 2010 GMC Terrains and they take no responsibility for the repairs. This should be a recall. There is a lot of potential danger to having your speed drop with no warning or control.

- Stanardsville, VA, USA

Dec 182013

Terrain 4-cyl

Driving on highway, 65 mph. Without warning the cars display said service stabilitrak and engine power reduced and immediately lost power. Cars coming up behind me fast, had to pull over, no power. Almost wrecked / died. Dealer says can't recreate issue and cleared codes. I'm afraid it will happen again.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Oct 252014

Terrain 4-cyl

I couldn't restart my car right after I stopped at a parking stall in the morning, but I can hear "click" sound. Dash board shows warnings:"stabilitrak.."(I don't remember exactly the words), "battery saver active!" and "service power steering". however, I managed to jump my cable after 20mins, and step on gas at the same time when I turned the ignition key, finally I start my engine after 3 or 4 times. In the afternoon, when I turned on the electrical systems but not crank, power windows didn't work at all, which used to work well, and "service power steering" appears again.

- Florence, AL, USA

Mar 202014

Terrain 6-cyl

Ignition shutoff' while driving; this occurred at least 8 times; took the vehicle to the dealer who couldn't reproduce the issue, but they did suggest having my fuel lines replaced at a cost of $400.

- Baltimore, MD, USA