3.6

2012 GMC Terrain brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 GMC Terrain:

2012 GMC Terrain Owner Comments

Mar 312015

Terrain

Summary: I had to decide to brake or shoot through a yellow light, going about 35 mph, I braked! all of a sudden I heard a clunk and then alarm ding from the dash as well as message "service stabiltrak" then "reduced engine power". I was unable to go any faster than 25mph. I drove in this mode for about 2 miles taking the back streets to my destination. At destination shut vehicle off to see if this would reset something, it did! it was super scary. So now terrified to brake hard.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Mar 062016

Terrain

My check engine light came on about a month ago and was serviced for a problem with the camshaft. After getting my GMC Terrain back I noticed that on occasion the RPM would shoot up while driving and then crash back down causing almost a jerking motion (it has happened in all types of scenarios I.e. while driving on the highway, back roads (all while at a steady speed) and then finally yesterday 3/5/2016 while breaking as I approached a stop sign.) now this morning (3/6/2016) I went out to start my car and immediately after it turned over the engine was making a very loud noise that I can only describe as the sound of an airplane engine with a light knocking sound. I stood there unsure of what to do and the car just turned off. I went inside, got my husband, started it again this time without the noise, but the dashboard was filled with lights on- check engine, traction control, and a warning service stabilitrack. I let it run for about 5 minutes, turned it off, and restarted it. The check engine light is now off, but the traction control and stabilitrak warning remained on. I decided to try to drive the car around the block to check it out as of course it's Sunday and I can't get in touch with the service department and also because I am the primary driver of two children under 10. I backed out of the driveway, and went into drive and the car stalled again. I got it started and got halfway back up my driveway before it stalled again. Truthfully, I am scared to even try to drive it now, and if I am being honest I don't think that the car will make it to the dealership (1hr. Away by highway) without stalling. I've noticed others with similar complaints on GM/Chevy all makes and models, and don't understand why this issue is not being resolved. What are they waiting for- a family of 4 driving on a highway causing an accident because their car stalled" death"

- Goshen, NY, USA

Jan 252015

Terrain

I have had issues with this vehicle ever since its purchase 01/2015. I took the vehicle in for service and was told the service contract would not cover my issue and that the issue was caused by lack of maintenance, which is not the case as I maintain the oil in this vehicle and even had to purchase a new battery for the vehicle recently.this car's engine repeatedly stops, especially when approaching a red light or stop sign or at the moment of acceleration. I have had to avoid many accidents due to people driving up on me because I should have been accelerating at the time but my car turned off. The battery would die on this car on a weekly basis which caused me to purchase a battery and there is still no progress in the vehicle. The motor knocks badly upon startup, especially in the mornings. The engine is very weak after an independent diagnostic check. And just last week, as I was driving on the highway at normal speeds, the muffler shield broke, fell, and began scraping against the highway. There are electrical issues as well as the lighting in the car gets dim when we are in the dark but bright when the sun is out. Also, the seatbelt for the passenger's side constantly rings sending a notification that the seatbelt needs to be latched, even when no one else or nothing else is in that seat. I fear that one day I may need that air bag and it might not work because the seatbelt appears to be faulty. Also, another issue, which is not necessarily a safety issue, but an extreme nuisance and also maybe an electrical issue is the car radio and volume will freeze at any given moment and the car has to be stopped and idle for a period of time before the radio is active and able to turn channels again. The safety issues for this car are real and I am in fear that I will get hit from behind due to the faulty engine.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 072015

Terrain

The contact owns a 2012 GMC Terrain. While driving at approximately 25 mph, the traction control and the stability trac warning lights illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Dec 132013

Terrain 6-cyl

I own a 2012 Terrain sle2 with approximately 20,000 miles. On Friday, December 13, 2013, I joined the innumerable owners of GM products (found on the various owner forums on the internet) that have experienced the service stabilitrak light coming on with rough idling. Other owners have expressed the loss of power when this event occurs. Luckily, I was backing out of my garage and not traveling on the expressway so I cannot advise whether there was loss of power since I was going so slow. The light went off when I turned the vehicle off in order to come inside and call the dealer (woody Buick GMC in naperville il). The dealer was able to find code PO300 (random cylinder misfire) but they could find nothing wrong. I was told the vehicle fixed itself (which I find highly doubtful and very disturbing). I am a one vehicle family and now in a complete panic whenever I drive this vehicle. I fear for my life, my passengers" and others because loss of power can happen at any time and I am concerned about being rear ended since the driver behind me would have no clue, as I don"T, that my vehicle will lose power. Since this is a huge safety concern, I am shocked that GM has not addressed this failure of its products.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Feb 072013

Terrain 6-cyl

The vehicle has been in the shop for 10 to 12 times due to failure with the engine misfiring as well as traction control lights and stability trac as well as transmission not shifting right and loss of power while driving on major highways and brought into the dealership where they tell me they can find or make the problem reappear. But have shown the dealership service department video and have had 3 general motor techs that they hired from hp and been told the vehicle is safe and that there will be no more problems but have been in the vehicle while the problems have happened and have it on video to the point where I almost lost my life yesterday night. The vehicle is a death trap and many customers including myself on GMC Terrain forum as well as online have had the same problem and have been told the same thing that it is nothing to worry about but it is. Please help have been told by GM to keep my mouth shut they would offer me 5,000 dollars for my troubles and that my kids are worth that much from a legal advisor at General Motors legal. Have ask to be taking out of the vehicle for something safe and still I'm being told no......please help

- Easton , PA, USA