4.8

2013 GMC Terrain fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 GMC Terrain:

2013 GMC Terrain Owner Comments

Sep 142015

Terrain

We live in California and the carb fuel pump nozzles are cumbersome beasts. But the nozzle pops out of the fuel filler when placed on auto-fill at 4 out of 5 gas stations. It's dangerous when it pops out and falls on the ground sometimes pumping gas all over. I took the Terrain to the dealer and of cource they can't find anything wrong with it. What gives and what's the fix?

- Olivehurst, CA, USA

Jul 232016

Terrain

The contact owns a 2013 GMC Terrain. While driving approximately 30 mph, the contact noticed a fuel odor. The contact also noticed that the fuel gauge was lowering. The contact exited the vehicle and noticed a puddle underneath. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel line needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 18,000. Updated 09/27/16

- Melvourne, FL, USA

Oct 052015

Terrain

I was about to switch lanes on highway from on ramp travelling aprpox 60 mph and accelerating when my vehicle suddeling stopped accelerating & someone pulled up on my side to inform me I was leaking fuel everywhere. I lost nearly a full tank of gas on the highway. One of the men who stopped had worked on GM vehicles in the past and was able to clip something together to slow the leak. I drove to the dealership and they were no help and didn't seem to care about the issue or how serious this was for a 2 year old car with 37K miles. I was told I was out of warranty and they would not do anything for me and were going to charge me a $200 diagnostic fee. Disappointed by the poor service I received I took the car to my local mechanic who works on our other vehicle. They were shocked to see a fuel line on a 2013 vehicle break. They ordered the replacement fuel line from GM and I got my car back on 5 days later. The next day I took my car out to run errands and when returning to the vehicle I noticed a strong smell of gas, upon looking under the car I noticed that the fuel line was still leaking and from the same place! we brought the vehicle back to the shop and they immediately go in touch with GM who sent out another replacement part and also recommended also replacing the metal line as they had been seeing some issues with this line. Under the recommendation of GM the shop replaced both lines and I got my car back 3 days later. The problems I have experienced are unacceptable and could be very dangerous. Fortunately no one was hurt but had I been in the high speed lane and traveling at full speed limit when this happen I or someone else could have been seriously injured by this issue. Given the age of the car and low mileage this is not a wear and tear issue, this is 100% a defective part or mfg problem that I expect GM to reimburse $670 for repair.

- Foster, RI, USA

Mar 172015

Terrain 4-cyl

Less than a month ago, while driving on interstate 95 in the left lane during rush hour the engine blew on a 2 year old GMC Terrain. How this is at all possible I have no clue, but luckily enough I was able to safely coast over to the right shoulder and await for a tow truck. Below is the background information, as well as the headache I have had to undergo since this happened. -1 month prior to the engine being blown I had taken the car in for a 5,000 mile check-up -night before the incident there was a fluttering noise heard from the engine, so planned on taking to sheehan the next morning at approximately 9:30 am on 3/17/2015 was driving on interstate 95 in the left lane during rush hour and the rpms dropped to zero -witness something that looked like oil leaking from the engine was told to sheehan Buick GMC where they looked at it and the next day reported that the engine blew, a rod to the piston snapped and tore a hole through the side of the engine -was told by service manager that when the engine went it "grenade" inside and resulted in longer to fix and replacing more parts like a manifold. -since it was fixed I had no other choice but to take the car back I left the shop and got on interstate 95 for about 10 miles when I noticed the check-engine light on immediately returned to sheehan and took the loaner back -was told now had to replace the fuel injectors -2 weeks after that week repaid engine light on again for a wire harness.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Sep 012013

Terrain 4-cyl

When the GMC Terrain is first started in the mornings the vehicle "misses" for about 5 seconds. It sounds like there is condensation in the fuel line. After about 5 seconds the vehicle smoothes out and runs normal. This happens almost each and every morning. It does not happen any other time.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Apr 222013

Terrain 6-cyl

Road dirt, snow, mud accumulates at inside bottoms of doors all the way up to bottom of speaker areas. I can see where it is pulling down the bottom panels. Called dealer and asked for GM info on this and nothing back from dealer. Also 2 weeks ago engine lite came on, took to local dealer for replacement of gasoline sensor" at 10,000 miles? asked if I used corn gas? no, I use plus or premium. Does this happen every 10,000 miles" also I am concerned I will have rust on my doors very soon.

- Lake, MI, USA