1. rebuild it (2 reports)
2003 GMC Yukon brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 GMC Yukon:

2003 GMC Yukon Owner Comments

Jun 152015

Yukon SLE 5.3L V8

My 2003 Yukon XL only has 64K miles and I have meticulously maintained it and it looks like new. The "Service Brake System" message came on, the ABS and parking lights came on and the chime sounded 33 times. Did some research and found that this is a very common problem with GM vehicles. Took it to a shop to pull the ABS codes as a regular DTS code reader will not pull ABS codes. Paid $110 to get the expected C0265 code and was given an estimate of $2100 to repair.

The shop told me the Kelsey Hayes 325 ABS Control Module and ABS pump needed to be replaced. The shop also told me that GM no longer stocks or sells the Control Module and I had to buy an aftermarket module. (If true, shame on you GM. The taxpayers of this country saved you will a bailout for which you will NEVER be able to fully repay and you put garbage parts like this in your vehicles. Better wise up, GM, you won't get a second bailout).

After more research, I learned that there are lots of places that will repair the Kelsey Hayes module and that it was highly unlikely the ABS pump was bad. eBay has several listing for ABS module repair. I removed the module myself and took it to ASAP Speedometers in Mesa, AZ. The owner told me he sees about a 98% failure rate with the Kelsey Hayes 325 ABS module and that the main problem is usually a bad drive transistor and cold solder joints. He said there is another component that he replaces that causes overstress to the drive transistor and if it is not replaced the new transistor will fail again over time. He charged me $45 to repair my ABS module with a lifetime warranty.

- , Gilbert, AZ, USA

Sep 292014

Yukon SLT 5.3L V8

click to see larger images

abs control module failure abs control module failure abs control module failure abs control module failure

The ABS brake light would illuminate on the dashboard, the display would show "Service Brake System" instead of showing the odometer, and there would be a very annoying dinging noise.

The trouble code (C0265) indicated the ABS brake control module or (Electronic Brake Control Module) was not working. (I wish I would have had the trouble code read for free by an auto parts store instead of paying $85 to have my mechanic read it. I knew you could do that when the "check engine" light came on, but I didn't realize this was the same type of thing.)

I tried several different cheaper fixes and decided not to accept my mechanic's offer to install a new OEM part for $875 ($750 part + $125 labor) or have them install a used part (about $400 for the part). Instead, I searched online and removed the part myself and sent it to a company I found on eBay to have them rebuild it. I got it back very quickly -- I sent it from my home in Virginia to the company in Idaho and we had it back exactly 7 days later.

It cost $129 to have them rebuild it and I paid about $35 for shipping and insurance (for $400 -- the cost of a used replacement part).

Since I reinstalled the rebuilt part, I haven't had another issue with it -- no ABS brake light, no "Service Brake System" display, and, most importantly for me, no more annoying dinging noise!

- , North Chesterfield, VA, USA

Jun 012012

Yukon SLT 4.8L

O.K. This vehicle has not been in any accidents that I know of. This is problem number one out of two within a month. The ABS/Brake light come on every time I drive my Vehicle now, Another weak link in this vehicle I have seen through research. The module from what I have seen has a bad connections on the internal components. The mechanics will take your money saying that it is a bad ground and sand the frame and reconnect the ground wire just to have you take it back again. This is a pain in the but. The one good thing I can say is GM knew to let the vehicle have regular brakes in the event this system malfunctions.

- , Gainesville, FL, USA