2003 GMC Yukon fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 GMC Yukon:

2003 GMC Yukon Owner Comments

Sep 102008

Yukon SLT 5.3L

I took my Yukon to GMC to evaluate the fact that it was cranking for several seconds before starting. Again, they stated it must be a glitch because nothing showed up on their computer. I quickly learned that priming the fuel rail by turning the key forward at least 5 times would help the Yukon to start. After speaking with a number of private mechanics, there was a common theme. They all suspected the fuel pump. But I kept insisting it runs perfect once started.

Durng a trip to PA from Florida over the Winter, the engine finally gave out, as I lost the number 2 cylinder at 138,000. When I asked the local certified mechanic about a 5.3 Liter, (327 smallblock) failing at 138,000, he chuckled and stated "only when they are severely abused, overheated, or raced do they break." He thinks that failure to replace the fuel pump, and repeatedly cranking the engine each time to start the vehicle probably caused some internal damage. I ended up paying @$1800.00 to replace the engine with one from a salvage yard. I am up and running; however, still have the starting issue. I have ordered the fuel pump, and am going to replace it this week. Hopefully, all will be well. Stay tuned.

- , Satellite Beach, FL, USA