2005 GMC Yukon brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 GMC Yukon:

2005 GMC Yukon Owner Comments

Jun 052014

The contact owns a 2005 GMC Yukon. The contact stated that the brake pedal went to the floor board abnormally. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the brake lines were rusted as well as corroded prematurely causing them to fracture. The brake lines were replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jul 202015

The 2005 Yukon brake lines have rusted through, and while driving of all places to the inspection station in upstate NY. While in the shop for repair, it was advised that the aluminum antilock distribution box has major corrosion as well. It needs to be replaced.

- Cooperstown, NY, USA

Jul 152015

My wife, with three children in the car, attempted to stop at a stop sign while traveling at approx. 35 mph and the brakes completely failed. After going through one additional stop sign and red traffic light, she was able to safely bring the car to a stop on the shoulder. Upon investigation it was found that one of the brake lines had completely rusted through and ruptured. We are lucky that they are alive. Based on the number of similar complaints, and potential severity of this type of brake failure there should be a recall of these clearly defective brake lines.

- Plainsboro, NJ, USA

May 142014

I was driving on a divided highway and went to slow down to make a left hand turn and the brakes initially worked but at about 30 mph there was a total failure and the pedal went all the way to the floor. I had to stand on the pedal, so to speak, to get the 2005 Yukon to stop before hitting the traffic stopped in front of me. I had the truck towed home and upon inspection the break line had failed right below the radiator where it connects to a plastic retainer clip. I was amazed at the fact with only 118,000 miles I had total rust through on brake lines. This is one of the most important parts on a vehicle and would expect the lines to last longer. I live in southern Indiana about 40 miles for cincinnati, oh. This is unbelievable!! since I repaired this failure, the trans line and another brake line have failed due to rust.!! I have owned GM products my whole life and had a 1998 Yukon with 235,000 mi. On the truck and never had a problem with rust through on the lines. I wish there was something GM would do to help fix this problem. I worry every time I use the truck that another line would break and cause a massive accident.

- Florence, KY, USA

Sep 172014

Yukon 8-cyl

When I went to pull the Yukon into the driveway, the brake pedal went to the floor and I barely made it into the driveway and stopped. I had the vehicle towed to the GM dealership. I was called within a couple of hours and told that the brake lines had burst and had corrupted all of the rotors and the cost would be over $3K to repair/replace. Note: The rotors were replaced Sep 2013 and had less than 1K mileage. I called GM corporate to ask for relief on 10/6/14 and was told I would receive a call within 24 hours by a senior advisor. After not hearing back, I called on 10/10/14 and was told that the vehicle was out of warranty and they couldn't do anything. I citied all the cases on line about faulty brake lines and NHTSA EA11001 and the lady had no knowledge of any issues. She stated it would be the responsibility of the dealership and not GM. She stated she would call the dealership the same day and turn it over to them. There was nothing GM would do to assist since it is out of warranty. Please help. What is the status of the investigation?

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Feb 202014

Yukon 4WD 8-cyl

Brake lines failed while driving through parking lot. The vehicle stopped just short of colliding with other vehicles in the lot. All lines including transmission cooler lines and lines from calipers to brakes needed to be replaced due to excessive corrosion. Updated 4/24/2015

- Mendon, NY, USA

Oct 172012

Yukon 8-cyl

I was pulling up to a stop light, and the brakes went out. I ran into the truck in front of me while going between 20 to 25 mph. The auto repair shop said my brake line was corroded and it snapped.

- Naples, FL, USA

Jul 172012

Wife almost had accident due to sudden brake failure. Corroded metal brake line rusted through for rear brakes.

- Colonial Heights, VA, USA