7.1

2. complete engine overhaul (1 reports)
  3. some sort of a suggested gm "fix" deflector or something (1 reports)
  4. use regular oil not synthetic it won't burn (1 reports)
2007 GMC Yukon engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 GMC Yukon:

2007 GMC Yukon Owner Comments

Sep 072010

Yukon 5.3L

2007 GMC Yukon 5.3. Use regular oil, it won't burn, simple to fix.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 172014

Yukon LS

About a week after EVERY oil change I have to add a quart. This is the worst car ever! we've tried different oils, 10W, 5W and EVERYONE we know that has this vehicle has this problem. Worst car ever!~

- , Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Nov 012011

Yukon

Nothing else to say. Nothing else to state. Get me out of this screen.

Please get me out of this screen.

- , Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Oct 122011

Yukon XL SLT 5.3L

This car is the biggest POS I have ever owned!!!!! GM has turned into nothing but a joke. I have had nothing but problems with this car. I love the exterior, the way it rides and looks... but that’s it! This vehicle has spent more time in the service department than it has on the road. After replacing the engine mounts, throttle control position sensor, water pump all at 101K!!!! Despite 100's of attempts to contact GM about the excessive Oil Consumption issue.. I’ve been told by the dealer that there is nothing else that they can do, they have done everything that GM requires them to do to fix the issue... but it hasn't fixed anything.

Now, I have 135k on my car... and my engine is toast!! It needs to be replaced... no way around it. It ALWAYS stinks of burning oil and antifreeze now, barely starts and barely wants to stay running. I have left at least 4 messages a week for multiple Customer Service Reps but NEVER get a call back!! It would be nice, for once if GM would stand behind their products and do the right thing... but I don't see that happening. I would love to drive to Detroit and walk into GM's corporate office, hand them the keys and tell them to take their POS back.

Here is just a brief view of what I have replaced: all before 105K Engine mounts Throttle Control Position sensor Water Pump wheel bearings sway bar links rear power liftgate motor power running board motors cat. converter - needs to be replaced per GM dealer oil pressure sending unit sensor Front and rear window regulators and switches ENGINE!!!!! - NEEDS TO BE REPLACED per GM DEALER

Other than the stuff listed above... this car is just awesome :/ I guess I should be happy that it at least looks pretty sitting in the garage most of the time....

- , Muskegon, MI, USA

Nov 022011

Yukon XL SLT 5.3L

inadvertently, my engine symbol light come on and the cars power seems decrease and the car starts riding rough. I tighten the fuel cap it or may not turned the light off the light come on whenever and then the drives sluggish HELP PLEASE HELP

- , Converse, TX, USA

Jun 222012

Yukon XL 5.3L

I am on my third 3000 mile oil consumption test with the local dealer in Ft Wayne, IN and they continue to give me the run around. GM is directing them and they are doing what GM is demanding. I am going in and making my demands that I get to speak directly to the asshole in charge at GM!! Adding 1-2 quarts of oil every 2000 miles is a joke, hell check the gas and fill the oil!!!! Looking to get a class action lawsuit put together, anybody on board???

- , Leo, IN, USA

May 162012

Yukon XLT 5.3L

My story is like the others I read here. Own a 2001 Yukon, never had issue with using oil. Still have it. Can't let it go, it's our "spare" for family to use when their vehicles break down. Dependable. Now, bought 2007, used from private seller, 2011, and in May of this year, light came on telling me oil level low. Life of oil still reads around 60%. They recommended changing from synthetic to conventional oil, which we did last oil change, June. This past weekend, light came on again, same story. And when I checked it, indeed it was low. It might or might not have helped to change the type of oil. I need to track the miles and see if it lights up after 3,000 or what. Dealership where I take it is researching but doubt there is a cure. Just keep track of it, put in a qt, and see what happens! It has to be going somewhere!

- , Lander, WY, USA

Jun 152009

Yukon 5.3L V8

I've had the excessive oil consumption problem for three years now. Been waiting on GM to come up with a fix and not seeing anything yet my warranty is about up with 5 years and 75K miles. I'm probable going to take it in to the dealer but i know nothings going to get done and I'll probably end up with more problems than I started with.

- , Niceville, FL, USA

Feb 012011

Yukon 5.3L V8 Ffv

GM is aware of the problem. Fix it. 3-4 qts of oil every 3000 miles or so is not acceptable.

- , Tivoli, NY, USA

Mar 232010

Yukon XL 5.3L

Not then...here we are for the third time for the same problem, have called GM customer service, again and am being told I will receive a call from a supervisor tomorrow...I asked what am I supposed to do when this happens after the 100,000 mile warranty goes out? It is at the dealership right now undergoing a complete engine overhaul.

I have owned numerous Chevy's in the past and this is the first one that i've had this issue on, along with other small issues on this particular one, I am so disappointed and aggravated with their products, will not purchase another one unless I get adequate satisfaction from the manufacturer.

Aug 012010

Yukon XL 5.3L

Used 3 qts of oil in a 3,000 mile period....replaced the lifters. Did not fix the problem.

Oct 012010

Yukon XL 5.3L

Once again, Gm recommended a fix and it still did not fix the problem.

Jan 022011

Yukon XLT 5.3L

2007 GMC Yukon with the 5.3L Flex Fuel and 4-8 cylinder mode is consuming a quart of oil per 1,000 to 1,500 miles. Looks Like I am not alone as I have read 75 complaints. While adding a quart of oil every 1,000 miles is simply a Royal Pain in the Ass; The bigger issue is why this particular motor and model year has this consistent issue with anyone I talk to. In my opinion, no car manufactured after 2,000 should burn oil and if if does, there's something wrong. It's going somewhere and I would love to know what the solution is besides getting the runaround from GM like people in the last 75-100 complaints I just read.

I also own a 2002 Suburban with 5.3L that now has 240,000 miles on engine and will go 7,500 miles between oil changes without losing a drop of oil. In fact, I have owned 20 plus cars in the past 25 years and my 2002 Chevy Suburban is by far the best car I have ever owned and I still do for that very reason. Is there a fix? If not and feel free to add me to any lawsuits, because I am not going to let GM put me through the grind on a known issue. I am starting to get sick of seeing "Low Oil and Add Oil Light" every 2-3,000 miles and finding that I'm 2-3 quarts low, even though have 50% or more left on oil life. GM...Something is Very Wrong Here and DON'T tell me it's normal or acceptable because I know better!!!! Despite my loyalty to GM, It may be time be time to buy a FORD after all.

- , Milton, GA, USA

Aug 262010

Yukon XL V8

In late August my engine oil low light came on. First thought was that there was something really wrong, which made me cancel the family trip I was taking over to central Oregon to get the issue fixed. Took it to the local Chevy guy (don't have a GMC dealer where I am) and he indicated that he has about 6 or 7 of these reported waiting to get clarity from GMC on appropriate fix. He asked me to start logging the usage and I'm at around 1 quart every 1500 miles or so. He also indicated that GMC has recommended a fix, but that it isn't fully vetted yet.

Spoke with the GMC folks yesterday and they indicated that not only is the oil log that I've kept to date completely invalid, but they need to test as well and I have to bring the vehicle in several times over the couple months to have them log it. I don't have the time to screw with this. In addition they're indicating that GMC is saying that 1 quart every 2000 miles is "acceptable" consumption?!?!? I get better consumption out of my 68 Camaro!! I'm in for a lawsuit if they don't back their product and will get the names and info for the other folks in the area experiencing this.

If they won't fix, I won't buy GMC again and will definitely get resources behind putting the bad word out there ... and I have the media resources to get that going!

- , Warren, OR, USA

Oct 012010

Yukon XLT V8

We are having the same problem with our Yukon. Problem is that we don't feel the dealer is being honest with their measurements. Anyone know how many quarts low before the "Check Oil" light comes on? They are telling us, when we take it in every 1000 miles (when the light comes in) that it is only a quart low. One time they told us it was two quarts.

At any rate, how does one go about starting a class action lawsuit. There are enough people out there having this problem and this crap is for the birds.

- , Warsaw, IN, USA

Jul 312009

Yukon SLT 5.3L

My 2007 Yukon has been using 1 to 1 1/2 qts. of oil every 1000 - 1500 miles. Have been complaining to dealer ever since. We now have 88k miles and I hope i am getting somewhere. We have attempted the oil consumption test since last July, but ran into numerous problems including the instrument cluster going out, therefore not being able to monitor the mileage. Either way I got that fixed for $450.00 and 2 attempts to replace the unit. 1st attempt they programmed the mileage in wrong and my vehicle had 800k miles on it when they returned it. They got it right on the 2nd attempt.

We were now on our 4th oil consumption test. We were three weeks into and had already added 1 1/2 qts of oil in 1500 miles, but this time we notice a rough idle last Friday night. And then the Check Engine light came on. I took it to the dealer that Saturday morning and the error code the pull said the vehicle had a mis fire in # 2 cylinder. They have now had it 5 days and have install a sheild under the cylinder to keep oil from splashing up into the cylinder. I don not like this idea, it like having a broken window in your house, but instead of finxing the window, you install a canopy over the window to keep the rain out.

I have complain and the dealership seems to understand but says they have to follow the GM protocol for this issue, so the obviously are aware of the problem. We will now start another oil consumption test and see how there "fix/bandaid" works. If it does not then they say they will then replace the rings etc. (rebuild the engine). I am keeping my fingers crossed but this does not give me great confidence in GM or my vehicle. I had hopee to get 200k mile out of this vehicle like I did with my 2001 Yukon. Maybe it is time to consider Ford, Infinity, or Toyota for a big SUV.

- , Dahlonega, GA, USA

Apr 012010

Yukon 5.3L V8

The Yukon has excessive oil consumption, roughly 2 qts. every 2,000 mi. Just discovered many other GM vehicles with same engine (5.3L V8) having same problem. Been given runaround by dealership--multiple "consumption" tests, no fix recommended, supposedly within acceptable consumption range. Dealership has not once suggested to me that this is a design problem or that the problem is common with my make/model of vehicle. At $40,000+, should not have to add a qt of oil every 500-1000 miles. Haven't had to do that since owning a 1981 Datsun 510. I expect more and am tired of being put off by the dealership and GMC. Anyone aware of a fix that actually works other than engine replacement? Anyone having any luck getting the dealership to actually acknowledge this is a design problem that needs to be addressed globally?

- , Derby, KS, USA

Apr 012009

Yukon XL 5.3L

I live in Mundelein and use Libertyville GMC for service. I believe the service manager there, Eric has gone to bat for me plenty about this, we are friendly since I have been there about 5 times for this problem! I have had valve covers, a head gasket, rocker arms, lifters all replaced and it is CURRENTLY in the shop there again today. My guy says that my vehicle has gone the farthest with this that he has seen in THAT dealership. Something about the production date and a "sharing" of Chevy Suburban motors on a couple handfuls of Yukons. Libertyville Chevy is replacing Sub. motors (crated) left and right.

I love my truck and it is GREAT otherwise, (36K on it) but I feel like the engine has been "molested" enough already! I don't think any more "rebuilding" is beneficial to the integrity of the vehicles future! I appreciate your comments about GM waiting for the warranty to run out. Makes sense! I am wanting to talk to the regional GM service rep in person and ask why his company thinks that after I spent $40K on their vehicle, why I don't deserve some better consideration, ESPECIALLY since the problems of last year for them, and do they REALLY want my return business? I am happy with my relationship to Eric the service manager there, and do believe he is trying his best for me, but loyalty has to count for something! And by the way, the approval they got today was to replace the rings on the pistons. Is that done by a MACHINIST or a TECH? Can I watch?

- , Mundelein, IL, USA