3.7

2008 GMC Yukon electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Yukon:

2008 GMC Yukon Owner Comments

Oct 172015

Yukon

Cracked dash board in several different spots/areas.. a piece has already came out and flew towards my daughters face and bruised her.

- Mobile, AL, USA

May 052008

Yukon

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Yukon. When reversing the vehicle, the back-up sensor did not alert until the vehicle was 4 to 5 inches away from an object. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 1,200.

- Bellflower, CA, USA

Apr 222015

Yukon

Doors locked with remote. 2nd row passenger door behind drivers door failed to actuate with remote or with door locks. Was able to work with the manual lock on the door from the inside to free the door. Once freed, the door failed to return to the closed position and remained stuck until the key fob was pushed. Repeated the lock with the key fob, door still will not actuate to the open position. Child can unlock as this bypasses the child locks on that door. Child could also get trapped in the car-could not be unlocked without manual agitation of the internal locks. Internet is full of his same issue on the same model vehicle. This is a serious hazard.

- Zachary, LA, USA

Feb 272015

Yukon

While traveling on the interstate at speed (70) the stabilitrac light came on and reduced engine power message displayed. The RPM's went over 4K, then the Yukon slowed in traffic and I had to pull to the side before being run over. The accelerator was unresponsive at that time. I turned off the engine, waited about 5 minutes and then resumed driving using '3' to engage transmission instead of 'd' the check engine light remained on, but I made it to my destination 2 hours away.

- Arkadelphia, AR, USA

Sep 122011

Yukon 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Yukon. The contact stated that the doors failed to open when using the remote access. The dealer stated that the actuator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 27,000. Updated 10/24/2014 updated 4/17/2015

- Whiptier, CA, USA

May 012014

Yukon

Front passenger and rear passenger door locks / latch will not open unless you do it manually. Car had less than 80,000 miles when this took place. This is a dangerous situation specially when an emergency takes place and you need to exit car fast. There should be a recall.

- Bloomington, CA, USA

Aug 162012

Yukon 8-cyl

2008 GMC Yukon denali experienced complete system shutdown to include instant loss of all electrical, propulsion, braking, and steering systems on 3 separate occasions, one in which the vehicle was traveling 35 miles an hour and twice at 60. Went into shop 3 times before fixed. My wife, who was driving on all 3 occasions, refuses to ever drive it again.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 062013

Yukon 8-cyl

Door lock failure, driver and rear passenger.

- Montgomery, TX, USA

Feb 152013

Yukon 8-cyl

The passenger door and right side rear door locks have failed. The doors have to be manually locked and unlock. I believe it to be the door lock actuators, as their are numerous complaints about this all over the internet. This is a huge safety issue. I cannot believe this has not been recalled. I have two small children and to not be able to get to them as fast as possible in an emergency is very scary. These automatic door locks are there for a reason GM knows it. I was told the cost would be around $300 per door and many of these people have had to have them replaced multiple times. This needs to be fixed free of charge with quality parts that will not fail!

- Lebanon, MO, USA

Apr 192011

Yukon 8-cyl

The problem began when the drivers side door locks began to fail. They will not lock or unlock other than by doing it manually. Over the last several months, both of the rear passenger doors have failed. This situation is very dangerous in the event of an accident. I found this site after discovering several blogs where many GM owners are having the same problem.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jun 252010

Yukon 8-cyl

Rear driver side door lock will only open manually. The key fob and electronic mechanisms to unlock this door no longer work. The rear passenger door now operates in the same manner (it doesn't). I see a significant number of people encountering the same problem.

- Troy, MI, USA

Dec 232011

Yukon 4WD 8-cyl

Drivers door lock failure. According to the auto forums on the internet, this is a widespread failure, for all doors, not just the drivers. Its an electrical wiring problem with the lock actuator. GM refuses to fix them out of warranty and has issued no recall. I read a woman's post where her toddler child almost fell out of the back seat while moving because the door failed to lock, seat belt was the only reason child survived. GM should be ashamed for not recalling this hazard.

- Alexander, AR, USA

Feb 012011

Yukon 8-cyl

Door locks have failed on 3 out of 4 of the doors. Sometimes in the locked position, sometimes in the unlocked position. Some postings on this topic are referencing issues with wiring harness. If the locks were to not unlock in an car accident, or god forbid rolling over down a hill that there is the potential for loss of life. There are multiple complaints regarding this on the internet. GM is well aware of these failures. I really believe this should fall into the recall catagory of vehicles.

- New Castle, PA, USA

Oct 152008

Yukon

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Yukon. The vehicle would not start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer three times and the battery was replaced twice. The third time the vehicle was towed to the dealer the technician stated that the battery was functioning and was unable to diagnose the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Spring Valley, NY, USA

Aug 302010

Yukon

First owner of a 2009 GMC Yukon has had 3 door lock failures, which not only qualifies under the lemon law, but also poses a major safety issue. The first door lock failed. GMC does not consider door locks as a warranty item or safety item so I was forced to pay for a replacement. The next week, another door lock failed. The dealer did not charge for the replacement. Now, a third door lock failed only 10 days after the last repair. Why is this a safety concern? my child was able to open the door while all doors were locked. Due to E failure, the door was unlocked unknowingly. My child and any child or person risks falling out of a moving vehicle. Secondly, should a car accident occur, unlocked doors could result in a door opening and ejecting the passenger leading to death. There is a flood of complaints on the web for this issue. GMC has not owned up to it, but due to the major safety issues, this should be investigated and faulty actuators and the known pattern failure in wiring harness causing the failures should be addressed as an immediate recall.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Aug 302010

Yukon

Purchased a used 2008 GMC Yukon Jan. 23, 2010 and approximately 4 months later the first issue occurred with the car not starting in my driveway. I thought it was user error. A few months later coming out of the grocery store went to enter my vehicle and no start, went under the hood and moved the battery cable and it started. Later that night I tried to tighten the battery cable, but it wasn't loose. Approximately 1 month later while driving, the dash flickered and "stability traction" light illuminated with slight loss of power. Got to destination exited vehicle and upon return vehicle would not start until I once again moved battery cable around. The last incident which occurred on August 30, 2010 while driving approx. 15 mph through a residential neighborhood, engine just cut off. Wrestled car to side, put in park and restarted. This was the scariest incident because someone could have rear ended me. I took vehicle to shop GMC dealer and they found nothing wrong. 23,000 miles on vehicle now. Purchased with 17,500.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Feb 182009

Yukon

Some doors don't lock or unlock, I have had this into the dealership once to get it fixed. And now it has happened again, and thank goodness for car seats because my 3 year old daughter opened her door while I was turning a corner and almost his another car beside me. I am taking my Yukon in to get fixed again. The dealership said it was something to do with the electrical in the doors.

- Flint, MI, USA

Feb 012009

Yukon

2008 GMC Yukon back-up sensors failed to activate.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Aug 182008

Yukon

On all 4 occasions, the 2008 Yukon hybrid, lunges forward at low speeds, looses brakes, power steering and all power. Every time it has to be towed to the dealer. This has happened 4 times since August 2008. The first time there was a fire in the fuse box, then while the dealer had the vehicle, it caught on fire again. The dealer keeps telling me that it is fixed and safe to drive. The Yukon is back at the dealer and I am not taking it back. This vehicle is very dangerous and the government needs to look into this right away. I now have an attorney and we are contacting GM as well.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Apr 292008

Yukon

I have had multiple problems with my 2008 GMC Yukon. It first started with my radio cutting on and off. I have been to the dealer 3 times and they can't reproduce the problem. I have had the warning light come on alerting me that I have an open hood, unloosen fuel cap, and the engine light has come on and remained on for several days. Lately the alarm has been going off 5 times to date. I have notified the dealer but I don't feel that it is getting me anywhere. I have delivered it to them three times and have had them check it out twice. Today was the third time and they told me they didn't have a loaner car and to return on wed. 8.27.08. They did not write up that I was there today. I don't know what to expect the next time a dummy light goes off I only hope that it isn't something serious since all the issues seem to be a "boy crying wolf".

- Winter Park, FL, USA