1.7

2008 Honda Fit engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Fit:

2008 Honda Fit Owner Comments

May 102012

Fit

When 2008 Honda Fit is started it will stall till engine is warm up sufficiently, depending on the temperature dictates how long that takes. If a person takes off before car is warmed completely up when coming to a stop it will stall and if your in a intersection when it stalls it is really dangerous.

- Hillsboro, KS, USA

May 012014

Fit 4-cyl

My 2008 manual Honda Fit sport is stalling whenever I push in the clutch and come to a stop. I have to restart the car around 5 or 6 times before the engine will stop stalling at every stop. The car starts fine, but once started (and if not given time to warm up), it will stall and shut down at every stop. The battery light and oil light both come on when this happens. I have taken it to two certified Honda dealers who cannot find anything wrong with my car. This is very frustrating and annoying, as this has been an issues for almost a year. I absolutely love my car and just want it fixed!! I also do not want to have to replace the ignition just because I have to start my car at every stop sign.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Dec 062014

Fit

I have taken this vehicle to several mechanics, auto zone found 9 codes, most of them were regarding misfiring in the engine. When on the highway or sitting still the engine stutters and sometimes stalls. The valves have been adjusted, the spark plugs and ignition coil packs have been replaced and the car has had a tune up. The engine still stalls out in the middle of the highway. I feel this is an unsafe vehicle, Honda should recall and fix this problem.

- Overland , MO, USA

Jul 162014

Fit

Car kept stalling when I would turn on the engine and also while driving on the street it kept bucking and refused to accelerate. Anyway, got tune up 09172014, cost $170. Plus an oil change. Problem still occurring? had diagnosis completed 12/26/2014 however, they couldn't find the reason for the car to die while turning it on. Car is now 145K miles. Recommended I replace the battery. Now after paying the $265 for battery and diag, they say take it to the dealer may have something to do with engine. Every time I turn on the car I have to wait for the engine to warm up so it won't die...engine does not make noise, battery is good and electrical is good so idk what's going on. Going to take it into dealership again but feels it's a waste because they probably won't find anything and will make me do costly repairs that won't fix anything. Honda, please find out what's going on. There's obviously enough complaints about this and little action to resolve. I hate the state of panic I get into every time it stalls on me while I'm moving.

- Rancho Cucamonga , CA, USA

Feb 012013

Fit

Guessing the date but I know it happened around 65K miles when I took it into dealership to get it check. Car kept stalling when I would turn on the engine and also while driving on freeway it kept bucking and refused to accelerate. Anyway, got the engine fixed, however, they couldn't find the reason for the car to die while turning it on. Car is now 94K miles. Every time I turn on the car I have to wait for the engine to warm up so it won't die...now it dies regardless and stalls while I'm driving. Had mechanic friend check it and found nothing. Engine does not make noise, battery is good and electrical is good so idk what's going on. Going to take it into dealership again but feels it's a waste because they probably won't find anything and will make me do costly repairs that won't fix anything. Honda, please find out what's going on. There's obviously enough complaints about this and little action to resolve. I hate the state of panic I get into every time it stalls on me while I'm moving.

- Kaneohe, HI, USA

Dec 092014

Fit

My 2008 Honda Fit (manual transmission) suddenly felt like the engine was bucking or hesitating when shifting gears. This was noticeable when shifting into 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th gear. It felt as if I needed to downshift even though I was shifting into the correct gear. ( I have been driving manual transmissions for more than 30 years). I took the car to the Honda service department and after test driving the car was told they did not notice the problem and to come back if the check engine light came on. A week or two later (12/9/14) when in Massachusetts for business, the bucking/hesitation was so bad that I was uncertain what gear I should be in when driving up a steep road. I made a service appointment for the coming Saturday (12/13/14) when I would be back in Connecticut, even though the check engine light was not on. The service department told me the coil assembly for one of the cylinders needed to be replaced which they did on Monday (12/15/14). I have not experienced a problem for the past four days. The total repair cost was nearly $257.60 with the coil assembly costing $135. I checked online to see what the cost for the part was and found it for $81 at brenardi auto parts which sells genuine Honda parts and from whom I have previously purchased parts. I emailed the Honda service department asking to be refunded $50 as they over-price on parts. Waiting to hear back from them. My question/concern; should this coil assembly have failed" what is the expected life of this part" thank you.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Nov 142014

Fit

Car stopped dead (has happened 10-12 times). Coasted to side of road. Turned off ignition. Turned it back on and car started immediately. No problem at 35 mph on back country road. Big problem if I were passing on 2 lane road. Internet check shows others have had same problem with 2008 Honda Fit.

- Johnstown, NY, USA

Jul 162014

Fit

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Fit. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel became hard to maneuver and the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician stated that they were unable to diagnose problem. The VIN was not available. The approximate mileage at the time of failure was 100,000.

- Los Anglas, CA, USA

Mar 172014

Fit

My 2008 Honda Fit sport began having a "surging" issue from the 2nd week after I bought it new in 2008. I would tap the brakes to slow down and the engine would surge. Hitting the brakes a second time usually stopped it but throwing it into neutral helped too. I reported it frequently to the Honda dealer and they could not find the problem and said they had never heard of it. It continued for 4 years, and then seemed to stop for the next two years. This past March, it started again, and I was able to stop the car before an accident occurred. Then it happened while I was coming down the hill I live on. The car was in 2nd gear (using the shifter), and I tapped the brakes to slow a bit. The engine began accelerating and going faster. The brakes did no good; neither did the emergency brake; finally, the brakes gave out and my foot was flat on the floor. I finally put it into park and it slowed down to a stop. I had it towed to the dealer and they found no problem, even though I put it into park while moving, nor could they find any reason for the acceleration. American Honda is no help either. They did buy the car back, but have sold it as a used car, and I fear for the person who purchased it. I'm sure they did not look into the problem further. On your website, I found seven (7) similar reports for the 2008 Fit and five (5) more for the 2009. Owners have reported this problem on edmunds.com for several years, yet the Honda sales manager did not want to look at the printout I gave him. Here are the NHTSA id#S that report a similar problem: 10523098, 1049187, 10425811, 10344231, 10323002, 10317179, 10282552, 10266390, 10368077, 10329557, 10308988, 10280593. Please investigate this matter - it is very serious.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Jan 072013

Fit

2008 Honda Fit engine stalls when cold. Car will start, but needs to sit until engine is warm before it can be driven. If the car is put in any gear before the engine is warm it will stall. When the car is first started it sounds like the engine is idling too low. When you put the car in gear, it idles even lower until it stalls. No issues with the car stalling once the engine is warm. This started happening around 100000 miles about one year ago. At first it only happened once in a while. One year later (about 120000 miles) it happens every time the car is started. All recommended maintenance has been done on time. Has been brought to 2 different mechanics who have looked at the engine, transmission, and fuel tank/pump. No one can seem to figure out what is causing the issue. Looking online, it seems this is an extremely common issue with no solution. A recall was issued on 2009-2010 Honda Fits to fix a similar issue. A recall needs to be looked at for the 2008 model.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Jun 032013

Fit 4-cyl

Rough idling and stalling. Tried lots of things to fix: Tune up, replaced spark plugs, fuel injectors cleaned, replaced clutch, valve adjustment -- nothing fixed it. Dealership now says a spring in the engine's variable valve timing system has failed. Problem causes increased risk of collision. There is a recall for the 2009/2010 models, but none for 2008. Honda Fit recall #11V101000, R66. Same problem. Recall date needs to be extended.

- Crestline, CA, USA

Sep 302013

Fit

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Fit. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled at start up and the rpms decreased. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer a diagnostic testing but they were unable to locate a failure code; however, the dealer replaced the spark plugs, the air filter, and the idle system was reset. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 116,000. The current mileage was 117,000.

- Mebane, NC, USA

Oct 152012

Fit

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Fit. The contact was driving approximately 5 mph when the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure recurred intermittently whenever the contact would brake to a stop. The vehicle was taken to both an independent mechanic and the dealer for diagnostic testing. Neither was able to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Germantown, TN, USA

Dec 122012

Fit 4-cyl

2008 Honda Fit (automatic) stalls when vehicle is in "drive" when driving at a slow/decreased speed (parking into a parking spot or starting to accellerate from a stop) or when stopped at a stop sign or stop light. There are no "service indicator lights on". this stall in the engine occurs regardless if vehicle is cold or warmed up. Honda dealership suggested replacing the transmission fluid. Cost $210. Paid for service to be preformed at Honda dealership. My car stalled again the next day. I hesitate to drive in traffic because stall is intermittent and do not want to cause a vehicle collision. Vehicles driving behind me have no idea when vehicle is going to stall instead of moving. Very high potential for collisions. There is a Honda recall for the 2009 and 2010 Honda Fit for this same problem. I believe the 2008 should be included in the same recall (see below). Recall id # 86874 - engine and engine cooling recall date Feb 17, 2011 component engine and engine cooling model affected Fit potential units affected 97201 recall date: Feb 17, 2011 model affected: 2009 Honda Fit summary: Honda is recalling certain model year 2009-2010 Honda Fit vehicles. There is a potential for one or more of the four spring assemblies on the engine's variable valve timing and lift electronic control (vtec) system to fail. Consequences: A failure of the spring assemblies may cause the vehicle to stall during operation increasing the risk of a crash. Remedy: Dealers will inspect and replace the spring assemblies in the engine if necessary free of charge. The safety recall began on March 7, 2011. Owners may contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009. Potential units affected: 97201 read more: www.motortrend.com/cars/2009/Honda/Fit/recalls/#ixzz2F8kcnb7A.

- Fair Oaks, CA, USA