1.7

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Aug 112016

Santa Fe

On 6/17/14 my cars front right wheel fell off. I found two recalls on the internet for the front and rear suspension system. The car was towed/repaired for $782. In July 2014, Hyundai made an inspection of the work. I asked for reimbursement for the recall but was declined as not being within a campaign. Recently, the rear brakes, rotors, and caliper were replaced (for the second time)..afterward, a noise I heard became louder. On 8/11/16 the noise was diagnosed. It was found that new shocks were needed, and "rear passenger lower control arm is starting to rot from rust and cause noise." I was told to have it repaired by Hyundai. I bought the car from national auto sales in glassboro, NJ. Hyundai apparently did not know I am the owner of the car, and I never received any recall notices from Hyundai. The vehicle has had engine and sensor problems and many others. I want to avoid another accident. Hyundai should repair recall #NHTSA 09V123000 free of charge. The front suspension is now campaign 124 as of 10/16/14, four months after the accident. I am seeking reimbursement for the cost of $782 to have my vehicle towed and repaired. Please urge Hyundai to recognize a campaign for the rear suspension for my vehicle so that I can have this additional situation rectified to prevent an accident from taking place again.I believe that almost all of the repairs to the Hyundai I own have been recalled and I should not have had to pay. I understand that it was found that cars manufactured in Alabama were all part of many recalls and obviously other plants vehicles are too. The expenses should not have been my responsibility. The repairs cost roughly $5600 since November 2011 when I bought the car.for $5000. The air conditioner as well never worked. That repair would cost another 400.00.

- Monroeville, NJ, USA

Jul 192016

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving 60 mph, a loud sputtering noise emitted from the engine. The vehicle was taken to be diagnosed, but the dealer could not duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 012014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving at 10 mph, the vehicle auto accelerated without engaging the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 145,000.

- Sutherland, VA, USA

Sep 152012

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the front end of the vehicle. In addition, the contact stated there was a burning odor coming from the front intermittently as the steering wheel began shaking. The vehicle was taken to a independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 139,807.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Nov 262014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Tire blow out service tech found rotted out engine cradle.

- Coventry, CT, USA

Jun 122013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

When ever the under engine gets wet the car turns off and the brake light and oil lights come on. When it stops I can't turn the wheel and it locks up. I was driving on interstate in the rain and the car started jolting that the car was off then on then off then on again. I had no control of the car in the torrential rain going 60 miles an hour. Whenever it rains or if I go through a puddle of water this has happened again and again. When I took it to the auto dealer that I bought the car from, I was told that normally there is an engine undercover but there is not one on my car nor was there ever one put on by the manufacturer. Having no engine undercover causes the car to stall out whenever water is splashed up onto the engine. This causes the belt to ajar and that stops electrical from flowing to the car and therefore it stalls out at very dangerous times; like driving in traffic or driving on the interstate. No engine undercover is available and therefore the problem can not be fixed. What do I do about this dangerous behavior of the car??

- Tampa, FL, USA

Apr 262013

Santa Fe 4-cyl

My car just stopped while driving the lights still worked as did the radio it then restarted after a few minutes....I changed the camshaft sensor and that seemed to fix it for a time then it started to happen again after a heavy rain...I love my car that I just got used but if it keeps doing this it is not safe for anyone on the road...please help

- Paducah, KY, USA