2002 Hyundai Santa Fe suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 112016

Santa Fe

On 6/17/14 my cars front right wheel fell off. I found two recalls on the internet for the front and rear suspension system. The car was towed/repaired for $782. In July 2014, Hyundai made an inspection of the work. I asked for reimbursement for the recall but was declined as not being within a campaign. Recently, the rear brakes, rotors, and caliper were replaced (for the second time)..afterward, a noise I heard became louder. On 8/11/16 the noise was diagnosed. It was found that new shocks were needed, and "rear passenger lower control arm is starting to rot from rust and cause noise." I was told to have it repaired by Hyundai. I bought the car from national auto sales in glassboro, NJ. Hyundai apparently did not know I am the owner of the car, and I never received any recall notices from Hyundai. The vehicle has had engine and sensor problems and many others. I want to avoid another accident. Hyundai should repair recall #NHTSA 09V123000 free of charge. The front suspension is now campaign 124 as of 10/16/14, four months after the accident. I am seeking reimbursement for the cost of $782 to have my vehicle towed and repaired. Please urge Hyundai to recognize a campaign for the rear suspension for my vehicle so that I can have this additional situation rectified to prevent an accident from taking place again.I believe that almost all of the repairs to the Hyundai I own have been recalled and I should not have had to pay. I understand that it was found that cars manufactured in Alabama were all part of many recalls and obviously other plants vehicles are too. The expenses should not have been my responsibility. The repairs cost roughly $5600 since November 2011 when I bought the car.for $5000. The air conditioner as well never worked. That repair would cost another 400.00.

- Monroeville, NJ, USA

Jul 282016

Santa Fe

Rear trailing arm cracked while driving, lost control of the car multiple times. Taken to independent repair shop for diagnoses. Contacted Hyundai who wants vehicle taken to their dealer, but won't say if repair is going to be covered. Part was covered under recall #09V123000, but repair wasn't sufficient enough.

- River Grove, IL, USA

Jul 182014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V435000 (suspension) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 04/06/16

- Minocqua, WI, USA

Oct 142015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving at 35 mph, the vehicle failed to drive straight. The contact stated that excessive force was required in order to drive the vehicle straight. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the driver side trailing arm needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 165,000.

- Mequon, WI, USA

Mar 212015

Santa Fe

While driving at 25 mph, my wife had to hold the steering wheel at 10 O'clock in order to keep the vehicle going straight. The dealer told us that the subframe and controller arm had broke - a recall campaign which was repaired in 2010 (or so we thought). Due to this the car is not drivable and we are told by the dealership that, although the subframe and controller arm will be covered, the damage to the struts and tires are our responsibility to the sum $973.31. Our personal mechanic states that the front tires (under 4 years old and having less than 3000 miles on them) and the struts (under 5 years old) would not need to be replaced if not for the issue with the subframe and controller arm. At our recall appointment on December 22, 2014 (for a separate issue), the dealership saw no issue during their inspection of the vehicle. Our 2002 Santa Fe has 91,000 miles, and in the last 3 months since that appointment has been driven less than 300 miles, as my wife's work is less than 2 miles from home. Hyundai motors America states that they are separate issues and therefore not part of the repairs they will cover.

- Harper Woods, MI, USA

Jun 232013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while coming off an exit, the front driver side coil spring fractured causing the contact to lose control of the vehicle. As a result, the vehicle crashed into a metal guardrail and the vehicle drove over to the passenger side and crashed into a median. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained injuries to the right arm and the right rotator cuff which required medical attention. A police report was filed. The contact was later notified of NHTSA campaign number: 14V435000 (suspension). The vehicle was not inspected or diagnosed to determine the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Flushing, NY, USA

Feb 022015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving 35 mph, the lower control arm failed. The vehicle was unable to be controlled and crashed into a curb. The contact did not disclose if a police report was filed. There were no injuries sustained. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 09V124000 (suspension); however, the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Glenrock, PA, USA

Dec 102014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V435000 (suspension). However, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacture exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The contact stated that the manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Pittsburg, PA, USA

Nov 262014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Tire blow out service tech found rotted out engine cradle.

- Coventry, CT, USA

Sep 012014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that after the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 09V123000 (suspension), the steering wheel was difficult to turn and excessive force was required. The contact also mentioned that the suspension was unstable. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the vehicle was aligned and all four tires were replaced but the failure recurred. The vehicle was then taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the underbody, the front strut frame and the coils springs rusted which needed to be repaired. The vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V435000 (suspension) and pending repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Muncie, IN, USA

Mar 262014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving approximately 27 mph, the contact heard an unusual noise inside and outside the vehicle. The brake, traction control, and ABS warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was diagnosed by two different private mechanics. Both mechanics offered different opinions of what caused the failure. The front brakes or the front driver side coil springs could be the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 14V435000 (suspension) because the contact did not receive the second recall notification. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The failure mileage was unavailable...updated 11/12/14

- Medford, MA, USA

Oct 092013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that both the driver and passenger side trailing arms fractured. The dealer replaced the driver side trailing arm, but the failure recurred on the rear passenger side trailing arm. The dealer stated that the passenger side trailing arm needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V123000 (suspension). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 151,736.

- Tega Cay, SC, USA

Jul 182014

Santa Fe

After having new shocks, struts, cv axles, and new toyo open country tires put on 02 Hyundai Santa Fe when accelerating vehicle would pull hard to the right when letting off the gas car would pull the left. Was informed it needed ball joints in the front end, I had them replaced was also informed the vehicle was still doing that but worse. Vehicle was given a wheel alignment per mechanic, car was still pulling hard. Mechanic inspected 02 Hyundai Santa Fe and reported that it needed a new steering rack. After I had that installed vehicle was still pulling hard to the right during acceleration and left when breaking or letting off gas. Mechanic said vehicle was unsafe to drive and had me leave it with them to figure out the problem. They reported and fixed a rotted out front end sub frame. Vehicle drives as if brand new now. A year prior to the above incident I also had to replace the rear passenger side control arm. Hyundai would not acknowledge the recall on those parts for me.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Mar 192014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

While driving to work, all of a sudden it felt like the body of the car was swaying away from the frame; there was complete loss of control so I pulled over to the side of the road; this scared the daylights out of me. A few minutes later, I drove the car to my mechanic and he told me later after he'd examined the vehicle that there was so much corrosion in the rear trailing arm that there was no place to weld anything on to. Complete corrosion of the rear trailing arms. I couldn't drive the vehicle any further. I was told it was a total loss. I had to buy another vehicle, which I could not afford, being on unemployment.

- Rhinelander, WI, USA

Jun 172014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated while traveling at a low rate of speed around a U-shaped drive way, the vehicle made a loud noise and abruptly stop. The contact noticed that the front passengers side right wheel had fallen off. The right ball joint had detached and the contact was not able to put the vehicle in park. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the right ball joint, power steering hose and axle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 151,246. The VIN was not available. Updated 1/23/15 updated 03/03/15

- Monroeville, NJ, USA

Jul 222013

Santa Fe

This is the second time we have a near serious accident with my wife driving the truck. 6/26/12 the left steering control arm broke off the total rusted out sub-frame causing the truck to steer dangerously into oncoming traffic. This was caused from the sub-frame being rusted through. This time on July 21 the right rear trailing arm, that secures the right wheel in position, broke off. Forcing the truck to swerve right almost carrying my wife and the truck into a ditch. Both of these breakdowns are included in a recall for my year and model of car, however, my vehicle is not included because I purchased it in Florida, not in a northern salt belt state. So I guess what Hyundai is saying is, that they can build a defected vehicle and if you buy it in the South, they don't have to take responsibility for our safety. I was never informed that there was a possible safety hazard. We are very lucky that there wasn't a car coming the opposite direction on the first incident. That would not cover the repairs and it ended up costing me over $3,500. How do I get Hyundai to stand up and take responsibility for not telling me that we were risking our lives for driving a possible dangerous vehicle and pay for repairs this time. I guess the salt air blowing in South Florida 24/7 don't qualify.

- Metter, GA, USA

Jan 012013

Santa Fe

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe. Consumer writes in regards to broken steering control arm and reimbursement for repairs. The consumer stated his wife was driving the vehicle, when the left front steering control arm broke free from the sub frame due to rust. It forced the vehicle to swerve dangerously to the left onto oncoming traffic. The consumer had a mechanic to inspect the vehicle, and the mechanic stated the entire under carriage had rusted. The consumer discovered a recall was issued for the same problem. However, when he contacted the dealer, he was informed the only vehicles that were being repaired, were the ones purchased in northern salt belt states.

- Dania, FL, USA

Nov 262012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

While driving my 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe, there is pulling of the wheel causing the vehicle to turn sharply to the right. There is significant wear on the front tires and the vehicle will not stay in alignment. There is a screeching noise coming from the rear. After having the timing belt replaced, I was informed by the mechanic there was a rust problem in the front part of the vehicle toward the front right tire. He told me the car is unsafe to drive and the rust on this vehicle is more like rust of a vehicle that is 50 years old not ten years. He also said the frame could break at any time to contact a Hyundai dealership. I contacted the dealership and was told there were no recalls for this problem for my vehicle. I called Hyundai's 800 number only to be told the same thing.

- Cumberland Gap, TN, USA

Oct 152012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

While driving on expressway I noticed the steering wheel went out of center and the vehicle began to wander. An inspection found that where the right front lower control arm attaches to the subframe was completely rotted out on the front bolt. Ordered a new sub frame and lower control arms to remedy the condtion.

- Mokena, IL, USA

Sep 182012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Took my car for an alignment and tires. Frame where the lower control arms bolt up has serious rust issues. I see in some notes that the rust and corrosion has been an issue for the Hyundai's. is there any way I am eligible to get this repaired by Hyundai or at least at some discounted rate?

- Leonardo, NJ, USA