2004 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Aug 202016

Santa Fe

When car parked smell of gasoline, looked under car on drive side of tank has tiny drop off fuel come from plastic cover of tank and a drop on ground looks it was spread by continuous slow weeping when parked, draw for a while came back parked went back and check under same spot tiny drop on ground coming from plastic cover drain hole, did not seem loose much gas, park over weekend found drip smell and the dry spot seemed about one foot in diameter and strong odor when go near back of car, noticed this at parked vehicle, over night parked the spot is about 6 inches dried wet about 1 inch every day last few weeks. Fuel smell noticed all the time may be 6 six months now did not know where or whose car it was coming, when looked under on driver side before rear wheel about 1 foot inward saw a wet spot about 1 inch, draw back checked it was gas spot around dried impression was about foot this was in morning after over night parking, I open access under the rear driver side of seat can not find any leak from fuel pump or tubes I am going to check on other access hole but that is on passenger side, leak is under driver side of the tank plastic cover drain hole.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 312004

Santa Fe

Complaint Hyundai motor America has admitted design/product defects with six years (2001-06) of their Santa Fe fuel tanks via an extended warranty notification issued 2016/Q1. This complaint concerns Hyundai's product liability and warranty, with understanding precedent has been established with other Hyundai product defects and recall/warranty resolutions via the front spring coil corrosion recall in 'salt belt states¿. desired resolution Hyundai motor America to provide warranty coverage for my specific vehicle per scope described within the extended warranty notification. I would simply like to have extended warranty service completed at my local Hyundai dealership.

- Ankeny, IA, USA

Aug 262014

Santa Fe

A strong odor of gasoline was noticeable upon entering my garage. Further inspection revealed gas leaking from my '04 Hyundai Santa Fe. The service station determined that a fuel tank and center heat shielding replacement was necessary as both were defective, leaking fuel, and posed a very high risk of danger. Needless to say, I was stuck paying a very hefty bill to the repair center rather than worrying about blowing up myself, my passengers, or my house. I see that there have been other complaints about the same problem with this make and model of Hyundai.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Oct 112014

Santa Fe

Car stalls without warning while driving. First occurrence was over a year ago. I was driving down I5 going 70 mph when the car suddenly died. I lost my power steering and brakes. I managed to coast to the next exit. It started after sitting a few minutes. And I was able to make it home. I've received codes for camshaft sensor, misfires, low catalyst. I've changed the cam and crank sensors, coils, spark plugs, timing belt and assembly, fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump over the past year. Still having the issue. Car drives fantastic for about 10 miles and stalls out. After waiting about 5 min. It can be driven for another few miles before stalling out again. Check engine light does not turn on when it stalls now. Very dangerous when trying to drive in town or attempting to merge into traffic. You never know when it will stall out.

- Woodland, CA, USA

Feb 082016

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2004 Hyundai sante fe. After the vehicle was refueled, the contact noticed fuel leaking from the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 180,000.

- Baldwinsville, NY, USA

Nov 282015

Santa Fe

When I put gas in my car it will not start afterward. First it started only when my car was turned off. When I left my car running it was ok. Now it turns off when my car is running also. The mechanic said, it may be a bad fuel pump, cost $350 to replace, but can't guarantee this will fix the issue. I see I am not the only one with this issue. Why is this not a recall"? I google it and there are so many people with same problem. Also with the car accelerating by itself. I thought I was crazy. I see now that others are having this problem as well. Everyone said I imagined it. Why is this not a recall"

- Mastic Beach, NY, USA

Sep 012015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe. Immediately after refueling the vehicle, it would suddenly stall. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the purge valve failed and the fuel tank would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Highland, NJ, USA

Dec 302014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that immediately after refueling the vehicle, it would suddenly stall. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the purge valve and the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Highland, NJ, USA

Oct 012015

Santa Fe

I smelled gas recently when opening and getting into my 2004 Santa Fe. I took it to a car repair shop. They inspected it and found rust holes in the gas tank which gas was leaking out of! I can't imagine the how terrible an event could have occurred if the leaking gas had exploded when I started the car or been close to an open flame with the car when it was leaking. I have owned many cars in my life and have never had a fuel tank rust out. I think the NHTSA needs to take a very close look at this problem and possibly issue a recall on the gas tanks of Santa fes and other vehicles they manufacture that use the same gas tank.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Oct 022014

Santa Fe

I brought the vehicle in for an oil change. The gentleman said that the fuel tank has a rust hole in it and is leaking fuel. This is caused by a plastic cover that retains salt and moisture and causes the tank to rust.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Sep 012014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The vehicle had a strong sent of gasoline when parked. The vehicle was taken to the mechanic, I was informed that it was a gas leak and the gas tank had to be replaced. After the gas tank was replaced, the mechanic informed me that the tank had rusted and that was the reason for the leak. He showed me the gas tank and there was extensive rust on it. There was a plastic part under the tank that retained water and road salt and caused the tank to prematurely rust. There is no reason for a vehicle that is garaged and washed regularly to have a rusted out gas tank. Clearly, there is a design flaw that allowed the plastic part under the tank to collect water and rust.

- Mechanicville, NY, USA

Jun 262014

Santa Fe

There is a strong smell of gasoline coming from my vehicle - it consumes both the interior and the around the entire exterior of the vehicle. Looking at all of the complaints, this is not the first time this has happened. Why isn't there a recall"? Hyundai - are you doing anything to help your customers????"

- Saint Michael, MN, USA

Apr 132011

Santa Fe

Dies in the middle if road! almost die. All the time!!!!!! dies in the middle if road! all the time!!!almost died.

- Pace, FL, USA

May 172014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

• 1,210,000 miles
Whenever I get gas and which I dread, once I fill up the tank or just put a few gallons and I turn the ignition it grinds like it is trying to start. Eventually it will turn over or I will hear a pop. I am afraid at some point with that pop that it will catch on fire. This happens every time I fill the vehicle with gas. Could someone please let me know what the resolution is.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Dec 202013

Santa Fe

I had my 2004 Hyundai sante fe at the dealer's for the smell of gasoline in the vehicle and when walking behind the car. It was told there was a small leak in the gas tank due to rust. The vehicle is not 9.5 years old has approximately 82,000 miles on it - have regular service done on the vehicle. I have undercarriage of car washed after snow storms as I live in new england and know the salt from the roads can rust the car. I was quoted a price of $1,500 or more - "can't tell until we start taking things apart how much job will be". this evening went to go to the store for milk car started right up drove down hill and car started to buck and stopped. Thank god for aaa - called for a tow and the tow truck driver attempted to start car - car starts but then stalls said there may be an air bubble in fuel line - could this have happened when dealer's service department checked for the leak. (I do not have the money to replace a gas tank when I don't know exactly how much the cost will be). Has anyone else had this problem. The service person informed me my car was "old" I don't think 9.5 years with 81,000 miles a gas tank should rust"??????" especially when the car is taken care of.

- Arlington, MA, USA

Jun 202012

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that he smelled a gasoline fuel odor while standing near the vehicle. The vehicle was examined by an independent mechanic, who stated that the fuel tank was rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Mineral Point, PA, USA

Nov 092012

Santa Fe

I bought the Hyundai less than a year ago. A few months after I bought it, I started smelling gas. I took it to the shop, and was told the gas tank was leaking. After paying an exorbitant amount to replace it, it worked fine. Now less than a year later, I took the car into the shop for a routine inspection and was informed that my new gas tank is leaking and needs to be replaced. What's the problem, Hyundai? this is ridiculous!

- Syracuse, NY, USA