1. replace fuel tank (1 reports)
2004 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Feb 292016

Santa Fe 2.7L V6

fuel tank corrosion, leaking

I own a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe and received a letter from Hyundai in mid February 2016 stating that they have extended the warranty on the gas tank due to corrosion issues. I then took my car to the local Hyundai dealer on February 29, 2016 to have this issue looked at and it was determined that I would need a new tank due to two holes in my gas tank due to corrosion. I qualified under the conditions of the warranty extension of corrosion and having less than 150,000 miles on my car. It is now April 6, 2016 and the gas tank still has not arrived. Initially the gas tank was to be in within the next week so i kept my car and was told I would be contacted as soon as the tank was received to make an appointment to fix the problem. Every time I called the local Hyundai dealer they told me there was a delay on the shipping of the gas tank. I went to the local dealer on April 5, 2016 and called Hyundai USA with the service manager present. I was requesting a loaner car due to again NO ESTIMATED DELIVERY of the gas tank. Here I am driving on a gas tank that was leaking and probably getting progressively worse and Hyundai USA denied my loaner car at their expense but told me I could rent a car and be reimbursed for my costs. Being that this was an issue introduced by Hyundai, I feel that Hyundai should cover the cost up front for the loaner or rental being that THEY extended the warranty for a problem HYUNDAI noticed. How can they issue what was in effect a recall on the gas tank without having the replacement parts available. All Hyundai USA customer service kept telling me is that there is nothing they can do regarding authorizing a loaner or rental vehicle because this was not an official RECALL. But it was alright for me to keep driving this vehicle with a leaking gas tank and god forbid something was to happen then what. If there was a spark under the car and the tank blew up or there was an accident then who would assume responsibility for what ever happened???? Obviously Hyundai USA does not actually care when it comes to a potentially hazardous issue involving someone that owns one of their vehicles. This matter needs to be rectified immediately in terms of their covering the loaner or rental and not asking the customer to incur the initial expense for reimbursement. It should as I stated earlier be the immediate expense of Hyundai. THis complaint is geared directly at Hyundai USA, the local dealership (Major Hyundai in Stroudsburg, Pa.) being as cooperative and helpful as they possibly could.

- , Delaware Water Gap, RI, USA