2004 Hyundai Santa Fe seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 102016

Santa Fe

It don't work rite when I let the car warm up and then put my feet on the brakes it sound like it don't wanted to give gas I smell gas but I don't see any on the ground the end take is all mess up the air bags do not go off it stay on and I keep everything up to the car just don't act rite

- Rochester, NY, USA

Dec 072016

Santa Fe

Air bag light stay on constantly, and don't go off. I was riding and light pop on and stay on.

- Clementon, NJ, USA

Dec 022016

Santa Fe

While driving on a straight stretch of highway, the driver's side (left side) side impact airbag deployed for no apparent reason.

- Scottsville, VA, USA

Nov 282016

Santa Fe

Today, 11/2816, right frontpassenger side air bag "deployed" for no reason. Driving at about 55 mph. No impact or collision. Seat ripped open.

- Mount Holly, NJ, USA

Aug 102016

Santa Fe

Was on highway traveling at posted speed of 70mph when we were hit from behind by a dui driver. This made my car go into a spin and rollover 4 times. None of the airbags deployed. Car is total loss. I received dislocation of my collarbone that needed emergency surgery, concussion, fractured nose, lacerations to head and face, knee and hip injury.

- Boulder City, NV, USA

Aug 062016

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe. While the vehicle was parked, the front air bag deployed from the seat without warning or impact. A police report was not filed. The contact received injuries to the chest, arm, hip, rib, and head that required medical attention. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 133,294.

- Waldo, AR, USA

May 032016

Santa Fe

Takata recall. Just prior to a Hyundai recall in 5/3/16 for a defective gas tank, my "air bag" light went off. Let me back track. In 5/16, my car began leaking gas underneath. So badly, that one day while passing the fire/police station in Norfolk, MA the fire chief and his crew began pursuing me. Stopping me in my driveway, I was told about the leak and was told I would have to surrender my car, it was a "safety hazard to (all)." I presented a aaa membership card. The chief himself called and arranged a tow to a local repair shop. After 2 days, I received a letter from Hyundai corporation stating that my "gas tank was faulty" and was subject to a "recall". imagine the timing on that" the national office of Hyundai sounded just great on the phone. But when my mechanic said he would not touch the car for fear of complicating the warranty, no one including Hyundai would send anyone to tow the car. At my personal peril, I drove to the nearest dealership. As I approached the reception area, all remaining gas gushed out of my car. I was given a beautiful current Hyundai to drive as a loaner car; I needed that car for 2 months. When the dealership called to tell me my car was "ready", their advisor issued 2 pages of problems allegedly existing and tried to sell me a new car. I have since had someone else look at my car; none of those problems exist. When I picked up my car from the dealer, I also asked their advisor "why Hyundai hadn't fixed the air bag light?" over the 2 mths they had my car. I was told that "Hyundai didn't use takata air bags." However, numerous friends of mine driving other models of Hyundai have received recalls citing the "takata airbag recall." My passenger air bag is defective. The dealer told me "the bag alone would cost $800. Buy a new car!" what is going on here"

- Norfolk, MA, USA

Aug 142013

Santa Fe

On day the air bag warning light came on on the vehicle and has never gone off. The dealer told me that the air bag control module had failed. The dealer told me the repair would cost $450!. I could not afford to spend that much money to have it fixed. I have already spent over $3000 on repairs for this vehicle and I cannot afford to put any more money it to. From the number of air bag complaints I have seen I think there should be a recall issued.

- Crestwood, KY, USA

May 122015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp remained illuminated near the front passenger side, indicating a malfunction. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact was made aware that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V435000 (suspension) and was waiting for the recall notification. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 137,000.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Mar 022015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp flashed randomly. The vehicle was also included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V435000 (suspension). The part was unavailable to schedule the recall repair. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000.

- Bozeman, MT, USA

Apr 142014

Santa Fe 4-cyl

While looking for a parking place, the air bag in the back of the driver side front seat spontaneously deployed, injuring my back and my left knee. My chiropractor got my back somewhat repaired, but my knee ended up having a meniscus tear that has not yet been repaired. Hyundai is willing to replace what my insurance company paid out for medical care and to fix my car. I will be having medical issues for the rest of my life thanks to this air bag incident. I believe Hyundai should pay for all future medical issues resulting from this incident but.... they investigated and are saying that the "computer shows an impact severe enough to cause the deployment" so they are willing to replace the seat and reimburse only the insurance company. They say future medical issues are my responsibility. I do not believe this should be this way. Their product caused it, they should be responsible!

- Cookeville, TN, USA

Jun 122013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

My Santa Fe was taken in for service during which time the air bag light was activated. I had it checked by my local Hyundai dealer and I was told that the air bag module had failed. I was told that the repair cost was going to be $450. I have already had to spend over $4000 for other repairs on this vehicle and I cannot afford to spend any more. I have read on the internet of numerous complaints of air bag module failures on many different models of Hyundai's. since there have been so many reports of the same problem and it is a safety issue I think that there should be a recall to repair the faulty air bag modules.

- Crestwood, KY, USA

Sep 182013

Santa Fe

I was driving my car to pick up my son. I did not crash my car at all. All of sudden. My air bag light came on and wont shut off. I have contacted the warranty company and the dealership. There is nothing they can do. I brought my car to my mechanic he put it up to the computer it read resistance air bag. Its going to cost me a lot of money to get it fixed. My warranty was up a while ago. Its a safety issuse. I just don't have the money cause I just got the car 8 months ago. Already I put in 1,000 into it. I just got the foot module the brakes and now the air bag light is on. Can you please help me. There is also a problem weigh the suspension.

- Ware, MA, USA

Mar 232013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, he lost control of the vehicle and crashed. The air bags failed to deploy. The police were contacted and a report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to the sternum. The vehicle was later towed to an independent mechanic where they deemed the vehicle as destroyed. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileage was approximately 105,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Feb 092013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the passenger side air bag deployed independently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis who stated that everything appeared to be normal and no cause for failure was found. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 83,000.

- Longview, WA, USA

Jan 112013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the driver side air bag erroneously deployed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that they could not diagnose the cause of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Ceotone, IL, USA

Jun 302012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Air bag trouble indicator light stays on after starting engine. Questioned dealer, they are aware of known problem with driver seat air bag switch and wiring causing air bag indicator light to come. Hyundai will not make repair to this safety defect at their cost. Cost is well over $1000.

- Dover, DE, USA

Nov 012011

Santa Fe 6-cyl

My air bags light is always on and will not turn off. The suspension is horrible, I took it to a mechanic and he said" there was nothing he could do. And sometimes when I turn my vehicle on the engine revels up and sounds as if the acceleration is stuck. Scares me to death.

- Hubert, NC, USA

Feb 242010

Santa Fe 4-cyl

When I purchased the car as the second owner in March 2010, I noticed that the airbag light had been a problem from the previous owner. However, the dealer assured me that it was fixed. After purchasing the vehicle in 2010 and before I took ownership I had to leave it with the dealer as the airbag and seat belt lights were on. I have taken the vehicle back to the dealer at least three to four times for the same problems, however was told that there were different codes each time. Was told that I needed to replace the seat belt buckle in order correct the airbag light, however, as of 4/3/12 was told by dealership (herb connolly Hyundai) that in need to replace the airbag. Also that the airbag was not under warranty and it usually has to be replaced at 60K miles. When I purchased my vehicle it had 81K miles, given this fact, they should have replaced the airbag prior to me purchasing it. The code that is showing now is B1346 (airbag has high resistance). Dealer refuse to correct the problem at no cost after several attempts to get the problem resolved.

- Framingham, MA, USA

May 012009

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I took my car into my new local dealer wallace Hyundai, stuart fl. My air bag light started staying on all the time. At the time I brought it in, my vehicle was still covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. This dealer told me I had to pay $100 to inspect the vehicle for the issue. I have never in the life of owning 2 Hyundai sante fe's (this being my 2nd) did I ever have to pay up front for bumper to bumper issues. I am disabled and did not have the $100 so I left and then the warranty ran out, so my issue has never been taken care of. To this day, my airbag light is still on and I am concerned it will either deploy or not deploy at all in an accident. Updated 03/23/11

- Stuart, FL, USA