2005 Hyundai Santa Fe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Jan 212016

Santa Fe

In the past 2 months this has happened more and more frequently. When stopped at a red light, the car will suddenly surge forward. I must throw it into neutral to stop it. Even when I am in park it will suddenly act like I am giving it gas when I am not. It is very scary and happening much more frequently.

- North Arlington, NJ, USA

Mar 172015

Santa Fe

I was driving to work and my 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe started to "jump" persay. It jumped from 1 RPM to 5 RPM, when I tried ro brake it acted as if my gears were grinding, and it thrusted me forward. This is a very scary incident that has happened alot, but up til this morning, there was no check engine lights on. The check engine light came on so my husband disconnected my battery in hopes it would reset. After about thirty minutes we hooked the battery back up and took it for a drive, and the same thing happened. I almost crashed this morning on the way to work while I was doing 55mph I came to a curve and my car jumped to 5 rpms and I almost lost control of my car....this car is dangerous, something has to be done!!!

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Jan 202014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving 40 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle jerked. The failure recurred, the vehicle stalled, and the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 13,000.

- Keasbey, NJ, USA

Oct 102014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

After a stop, engine suddenly surged and vehicle lurched forward. This is the most recent incident; there have been approx 15 similar incidents over past 12-18 months.

- The Villages, FL, USA

Nov 132013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Started engine. Placed the automatic transmission selection into reverse. The engine immediately had an unintended acceleration to perhaps 2500 RPM. Operator immediately applied very heavy pressure on the brake pedal to stop any rear direction movement. Operator immediately moved the shift lever back to the park position, shut off the ignition and restarted the vehicle. After restarting, everything was back to normal. This had also occurred one other time in September, 2013 under the same circumstances. Operator initially assumed that perhaps his foot had moved to the right and was depressing both the accelerator and the brake at the same time, but when attempting to see if this could be done, operator could not replicate. It is assumed the throttle sensor locator may be faulty. Very disturbing when this happens and could easily result in property or personal damage..

- Olympia, WA, USA

Mar 012011

Santa Fe

When I'm starting up from a stopped position, the car jerks forward as if I have "floored it." I am a realtor and drive 100's of miles a week. This happens at least twice a day, on average.

- Dubuque, IA, USA

Feb 192013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

My moms Santa Fe has sped out of control several times in the last three months. The last incident caused injuries because the air bag failed to deploy. The first incident was in a parking lot where the car had unintended acceleration and crashed into several cars. Second incident was on the road where car sped up and she turned it off. The third was backing out of a shopping center parking lot where the car rapidly accelerated in reverse hitting a car and then tried to put in neutral but went into drive instead. She hit a post and the front end wrapped around the post but air bag did not deploy causing injury. State farm and many attorneys won't touch this case because of the costs involved to sue such a large corporation.

- Dallas, TX, USA