2005 Hyundai Santa Fe seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 012013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator was illuminated. The failure occurred a few times. The dealer stated that the air bag would not deploy due to a failure within the seat belt buckle switch on the front driver side. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000.

- Mahwah , NJ, USA

Jul 072014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Recently I got B1513 code with my 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. I found that many Santa Fe owner's have been suffering from exact same problem, bad seat belt buckle sensor(s) which seem causing air bag malfunction. It is highly likely that this is caused by Hyundai used a bad buckle system and should be recalled. I recently learned that NHTSA is investigating very similar problems (seat belt buckle) in 394000 sonata models.

- Shrewsbury, MA, USA

Jun 202013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Seat belt light remains on, and advised by mechanic the air bag will not deploy due to a faulty connection in the seat belt buckle. Several reported issues with this, so why hasn't Hyundai recalled due to safety issue? my daughter of 21 is driving this vehicle as a second vehicle. I'm very worried about her safety.

- Broad Brook, CT, USA

May 152013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the front passenger air bag light illuminated intermittently on the instrument panel when a passenger that weighed 120 pounds sat in the seat. The contact mentioned that the light did not illuminate when a passenger that weighed 170 pounds occupied the seat. The manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the oc sensor was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 84,000 and the current mileage was 96,000. Updated 9/4/14

- Ewa Beach, HI, USA

May 052014

Santa Fe

A few weeks ago, when I was driving my 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe, an air bag light came on the dashboard. After simply searching the internet, I found that there are already many same vehicles had a same problems and complaints due to the bad wire connections under the driver seat. I believe this airbag problem is caused by due to the fault design of the wire connection and will cause a serious problem when a certain accidents happen. Hyundai should recall this air bag issue as soon as possible.

- Shrewsbury, MA, USA

Apr 152014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the air bag warning indicator remained illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician informed that the front driver's side seat belt would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000.

- Milford Center, OH, USA

Jun 012014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number 05V450000 (air bags). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 117,000.

- Sitka, KY, USA

Apr 012010

Santa Fe

Air bag light came on, took car to dealer, passenger seat belt buckle was replaced at a cost of 400. Dollers. A few months later the light came on again, and is still on. I can' afford to keep paying that kind of money to get it fixed again. I understand Hyundai has big problems with their air bag systems. I also have a 2006 Hyundai accent with the same problem.

- Moosic, PA, USA

May 052014

Santa Fe

I rear end a car going 45 miles an hour and neither the seat belt or the air bags worked. I hit the windshield and ended up in the hospital.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Mar 122009

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the air bag sensor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000 and the current mileage was 86,000.

- Redford , MI, USA

Dec 022013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

We bought this vehicle in June 2013. We had it almost a month when the steering locked up on me. The power steering pressure line blew out. We took it to the dealer that we bought it from and they fixed the line. Three days later the steering went again we got it to the dealership and they were going to charge us $300. I got upset but the most they would do for me was split the cost.then a few months later I started to smell gas. I didn't see any thing on the ground so I left it go. Then in November 2013 the air bag light came on and also the seat belt light would come on and go off and the bell would ding as if the seat belt wasn't buckled but it was.I just had it tested by a Hyundai dealer and the mechanic said that there was a defective sensor in the seat belt assembly that causes the airbag light to come on and the seat belt light and bell to go off. The mechanic also said that there is a leak somewhere in the gas tank. The whole repair will cost me about $2000 to have repaired and I don't have that kind of money. If the sensor is not replaced he said the air bag will probably not deploy in a frontal collision. There should be a recall on the sensor at least because that shouldn't be subject to wear and tear.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Nov 042013

Santa Fe

Me and my 5 month old son got into an accident in our 2005 Santa Fe...front end collision. The other vehicle is totaled and my air bags never deployed when they definitely should have. I smash my head due to the air bags not deploying but everyone else was safe!!

- Waldoboro, ME, USA

Jan 012011

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The airbag light is on which was diagnosed by the dealer that I would have to replace the driver seat belt, and computer parts in order to reset the airbag light. The airbag light is always on and eventhough I wear my seat belt the symbol and beeping noise comes on stating I do not have my seatbelt on. The cost to fix this problem is over $500. Also, the driver seat belts have worn away which has damaged my clothing.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Jul 202013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The red airbag light began to intermittently turn on/off for no apparent reason. When an occupant is in the front seat, the light is generally off, but if the occupant moves or changes his/her position in the front seat, the light would activate again, if only for a few seconds. The airbag light is now on at all times and will not shut off.

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Jun 032013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the occupant restraint system failed. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the sensor of the seat belt that connected to the air bag had failed. The contact asked if the failure was the same as that listed in NHTSA campaign id number: 05V450000 (air bags). The contact was told that although the failures were the same, the vehicle was not included in the recall campaign. The failure mileage was unknown, but the current mileage was 95,000.

- New Cumberland, WV, USA

Apr 222013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the OCS sensor on the passenger's side was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 47,300 and the current mileage was 47,411. Updated 07/16/13

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Feb 192013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

My moms Santa Fe has sped out of control several times in the last three months. The last incident caused injuries because the air bag failed to deploy. The first incident was in a parking lot where the car had unintended acceleration and crashed into several cars. Second incident was on the road where car sped up and she turned it off. The third was backing out of a shopping center parking lot where the car rapidly accelerated in reverse hitting a car and then tried to put in neutral but went into drive instead. She hit a post and the front end wrapped around the post but air bag did not deploy causing injury. State farm and many attorneys won't touch this case because of the costs involved to sue such a large corporation.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 012012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while parked the air bag warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact inspected the vehicle. The contact stated that the drivers side air bag switch was defective and needed to be replaced. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 24,000. Updated 10/31/12 updated 11/08/2012

- Springfield, PA, USA

Aug 222012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

There is a red light for the airbag. I called Hyundai dealer. They advised it is probably a sensor. I am concerned the airbag could deploy but they "do not think" that will happen. It may be expensive to fix depending if this is a sensor in the seat belt or steering wheel. They advised there is no current recall so I would have to pay for this to be fixed. I believe this is potentially dangerous. Other years of this model vehicle had same problem.

- Mahwah, NJ, USA

Aug 062012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

We own a 2005 Santa Fe by Hyundai. We have been reading blogs about the air bag light being illuminated as a result of the seat belt sensor going bad on these vehicles and not deploying in the case of an accident. Ours is now demonstrating this. The red air bag light will remain illuminated and the issue after being run through a diagnostic at a local dealership was as expected tied to a seat belt sensor issue. I know that there are more of these issues and some have actually won cases dealing on an individual level with Hyundai of America which is what we intend to do, but if this is such a rampant issue, there should be a further investigation done and a voluntary recall on their part to assure that the air bags are deployable at all times and not just while the car is under warranty.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA