2.2

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Dec 182015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the air bag warning light remained illuminated as a failure progressed with the driver side seat belt. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the seat belt buckle needed to be replaced. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 05V527000 (air bags) and NHTSA campaign number: 05V450000 (air bags). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Oct 132011

Santa Fe

My airbag light is on. I was informed it was due to the passenger seatbelt. Something to do with the tension and the computer.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Sep 012014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Air bag light has come on for the driver side. Mechanic is telling me it is a bad sensor in the seat belt harness. Cost to repair is $520.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Sep 022014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I purchased the vehicle used March 2014. The back passenger seat belt from the beginning is finicky. Sometimes it would click and lock and sometimes it never engages. Because of this we decided to just not use that seat. We thought maybe it just needed replaced. Now, yesterday, the middle seat belt came undone while my child was strapped into his car seat. I was going from a stop and turning into the grocery store. My son's seat fell on it's side. I don't know how long it had actually been undone at that point. I tried strapping it back and it will not engage. Now I have 2 seat belts in the back that do not work. I understand maybe one going bad but two seems like an issue with the seat belts in general. I have 3 children and now I can't use the vehicle because I can only use seat belt for 1 of them (the oldest sits in the front (she is a teenager).

- Akron, OH, USA

Jan 082014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that both driver and passenger side seat belts and seat belt buckles needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 55,000 and the current mileage was 60,000.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Apr 152014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the air bag warning indicator remained illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician informed that the front driver's side seat belt would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000.

- Milford Center, OH, USA

Dec 022013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

We bought this vehicle in June 2013. We had it almost a month when the steering locked up on me. The power steering pressure line blew out. We took it to the dealer that we bought it from and they fixed the line. Three days later the steering went again we got it to the dealership and they were going to charge us $300. I got upset but the most they would do for me was split the cost.then a few months later I started to smell gas. I didn't see any thing on the ground so I left it go. Then in November 2013 the air bag light came on and also the seat belt light would come on and go off and the bell would ding as if the seat belt wasn't buckled but it was.I just had it tested by a Hyundai dealer and the mechanic said that there was a defective sensor in the seat belt assembly that causes the airbag light to come on and the seat belt light and bell to go off. The mechanic also said that there is a leak somewhere in the gas tank. The whole repair will cost me about $2000 to have repaired and I don't have that kind of money. If the sensor is not replaced he said the air bag will probably not deploy in a frontal collision. There should be a recall on the sensor at least because that shouldn't be subject to wear and tear.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Jan 012011

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The airbag light is on which was diagnosed by the dealer that I would have to replace the driver seat belt, and computer parts in order to reset the airbag light. The airbag light is always on and eventhough I wear my seat belt the symbol and beeping noise comes on stating I do not have my seatbelt on. The cost to fix this problem is over $500. Also, the driver seat belts have worn away which has damaged my clothing.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Jun 032013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the occupant restraint system failed. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the sensor of the seat belt that connected to the air bag had failed. The contact asked if the failure was the same as that listed in NHTSA campaign id number: 05V450000 (air bags). The contact was told that although the failures were the same, the vehicle was not included in the recall campaign. The failure mileage was unknown, but the current mileage was 95,000.

- New Cumberland, WV, USA

Aug 062012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

We own a 2005 Santa Fe by Hyundai. We have been reading blogs about the air bag light being illuminated as a result of the seat belt sensor going bad on these vehicles and not deploying in the case of an accident. Ours is now demonstrating this. The red air bag light will remain illuminated and the issue after being run through a diagnostic at a local dealership was as expected tied to a seat belt sensor issue. I know that there are more of these issues and some have actually won cases dealing on an individual level with Hyundai of America which is what we intend to do, but if this is such a rampant issue, there should be a further investigation done and a voluntary recall on their part to assure that the air bags are deployable at all times and not just while the car is under warranty.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Oct 192011

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the seat belt sensor was causing the airbag light to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they advised that the sensor, the base of the seat belt and the sensor computer needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available.the failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 102,000.

- Aberdine , NJ, USA

Sep 222011

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. While parked, the contact noticed that the air bag warning light was illuminated on the instrument panel and the seat belt warning chime continued sound. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics where the technician advised that the front driver seat buckle assembly would have to be replaced. The technician also stated that the air bags would not deploy if a crash were to occur. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 106,593.

- Saylorsburg, PA, USA