2006 Hyundai Santa Fe seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2006 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Jan 182016

Santa Fe

The airbag light keeps going on and off, then it stays on, had it checked and nothing was wrong with the airbag, vehicle was stationary, in motion in temple tx, on the street and on the highway.

- Temple, TX, USA

Sep 042006

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who made unknown repairs. However, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000.

- Suisun City, CA, USA

Mar 022015

Santa Fe

Air bag light is on. Repair center said its a sensor and will cost several hundred dollars to fix. Shop indicated that this is a very common problem with this make and model. I am very upset that this issue has not been recalled due to the apparent enormity of the issue.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Aug 122014

Santa Fe

Air bag red light on failed to turn off after first starting the engine (normally it would turn off after about 5 secs after starting the engine) and remained on at regular driving speeds. It never went off regardless of speeds ranging from 0 (standing still) to 70 mph (the latter speed on interstate highway). It never went off regardless of whether or not a person was in the passenger seat. I took the car to the dealership, where it was purchased. After diagnostic tests, I was told by the service representative the problem was a bad sensor in the passenger's seat, and it would cost about $2,600 to fix it. Since the seat would have to be taken apart to fix the sensor, a replacement seat would probably have to be ordered, thus the high cost.. I was also told that since the airbag light now remains on, the air bag system is no longer functional and the airbags will not deploy as designed. I did not elect to fix the sensor because of the expense and also needing to fix the air conditioner, which cost over $600. I am now driving a vehicle without a functional airbag system.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 012013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Air bags light is always lit on the dash. The sensor in middle of dash recognizes someone getting in the passengers side but per local shop there is a short in the SRS system under the passengers seat. Because of this, the air bags are disabled on passengers side.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Nov 222011

Santa Fe 4-cyl

2006 Hyundai Santa Fe. The passenger's side air bag is on-off warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the passenger's side tracking position sensor was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 42,000 and the current mileage was 53,000. I took the car again to the dealer and give the information about the recalls of the airbags (OCS). And the dealer said that I have to replace the seat completely and have to paid by my own.

- Bayamon, PR, USA

May 032011

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the passenger's side air bag on-off warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the passenger's side tracking position sensor was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 85,000.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Jul 022012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Like many others the air bag indicator light comes on and stays on for no reason just as millions of others have stated. This is a defect especially when it comes to air bags.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

May 012013

Santa Fe

For the past year my air bag light has been turning on and off in my Santa Fe. I noticed that there has been a massive recall on the air bag light. I contacted the Hyundai dealer where I purchased the vehicle and was told my car was not on the recall list and if I needed to have the air bag light checked out, that I would have to pay out of pocket.

- Bristol, CT, USA

Oct 012012

Santa Fe 4-cyl

I own 2006 Hyundai sonata, and the air bags lights warning lights are constantly illuminated. I brought my vehicle to the dealer who performed a diagnostic and came back with eror codes B1706, although the meaning was not explained, due to reasaerch I performed I now know that it is for passenger buckle pretensioner resistance being too high. I found this particularly odd as I use this as my car to commute to work thus the passenger seat is rarely used. The dealer went on to say that the belt buckles needed to be replaced and that it was going to cost over $600. I did not have adequate funds to adress the issue for that amount at that time, however came home and performed extensive reasearch on-line and through the NHTSA site regarding the issue noting that this is a very common safety issue with this vehicle imparticular, although my dealer had assured me it was not. What I did not see was any response from Hyundai regarding this issue, and in most circomstances the effected person was responded to, or was resonded to in a negative manner. This is a potentionaly major life thretening safety issue especially when air bags does not deploy during an accedent. It is also an inconvient problem noting that due to the air bag warning light remaining on, the car will not pass inspection regulations, and from what I have seen online some people have to have this piece replaced several times. This is a saftey issue and a failure on the manufactures part to offer a safe product. I urge the NHTSA to investigate the issue due to the frequency of complaints and the impact to the passengers' safety and urge hyundi to issue a recall to address this issue in the near future.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Aug 012006

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the front passenger air bag warning light would illuminate when a heavy person was sitting in the seat. The vehicle was taken to the dealer at least four to five times and after running a diagnostic test, the contact was informed that there was nothing they could do to repair the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the issue who advised that there were no recalls for the failure and offered no further assistance. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Apr 302012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I purchased this vehicle at an auction. When I received it the driver side airbag light was on, but the inspector passed it. The passenger side was also on, but the agreement covered this and the auction dealer repaired this. I called hundyai about the drivers side air bag light being on and they told me that this would be covered under a recall, but when I took it to the dealer, they told me there was no recall on this vehicle and told me that I would be charged to repair this. I paid to have it repaired because what else could I do.

- Waxhaw, NC, USA

Oct 282008

Santa Fe

The passenger air bag on my 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe does not activate (arm itself) when my daughter sits in the seat. My daughter is an adult, weighs approximately 110 lbs and is properly seated and with seat belts on. This situation was presented to the salisbury Hyundai dealer when I first got the car, and recently to the oursidman Hyundai dealer in laurel, md where I purchased the car. Both dealers claim they can not duplicate the event, using another purson as the test subject. They have not performed any test to confirm that the installation of the safety feature is proper, meets your standards, or even at what weight the lightly finally turns off. This situation is dangerous to my daughter and other children or grandchildren riding in the front seat. My daughter is a practicing lawyer in Maryland and refuses to waste her time visiting the dealership until they complete a valid performance test. I agree, and believe the only benefit of bringing her to the dealership would be to prove I'm not lying. I contacted Hyundai customer service at 1-800-633-5151 ext 54327 on October 28th and he assigned case no. 3427197 to it and referred it to others. I next heard from "annie" at ext 54313, who got the case and she tried to tell me that the seat is set at 140 lbs, and other nonsense information. This kind of correction of a safety issue is not acceptable. I expect Hyundai to wither fix the seat of replace it. The car has less than 30K miles and is under full warranty. Your assistance is requested in making Hyundai comply with our safety standards.

- Ocean City, MD, USA

Jan 172007

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I was recently involved in an accident in my 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe. I hit the back of a stopped farm truck carrying a hay bale at about 65 mph, while I am alive and in decent shape considering, I surely would have appreciated at least one of the air bags deploying, but no, brand new car, totaled, I have pics, and all the air bags still tucked away in their respective locations. I would appreciate a good explanation for this as I currently own 2 Hyundai vehicles and plan to not purchase or recommend on ever again.

- Saginaw, TX, USA

Feb 272006

Santa Fe 4WD 6-cyl

: the contact stated the vehicle went over an embankment while going 25-30 mph. There was prior braking. The vehicle struck a tree on the front passenger side, the airbags did not deploy. The occupants were wearing seatbelts, but sustained minor injuries. There was a police report taken at the scene. The vehicle was towed to an independent repair shop, but there has been no inspection to why the airbags did not deploy.

- White Creek, NY, USA