2007 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Oct 202015

Santa Fe

Smell of fuel in passenger cabin when you fill up. Fuel gauge does not show the correct fuel level along with check engine light is on.

- Spring, TX, USA

Oct 062015

Santa Fe

I never know how much fuel I have, the gage goes from empty to full and back to empty in 5 minutes. Back a forth everyday

- Beaveerton, MI, USA

Sep 012015

Santa Fe

My fuel gage changes constantly. One minute saying I'm full, the next saying it is empty with the gas light on. Next the check engine light came on, brought it to the service center, whom stated that the fuel pump needs to be replaced. This is well over a $750 job and a known Hyundai Santa Fe issue. It is unacceptable that Hyundai hasn't recalled this part, due to the severity of this issue. This happens while being stationary and moving. It has been happening for a couple of weeks now.

- Sussex, NJ, USA

Sep 152015

Santa Fe

My 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe suddenly accelerated when I attempted to apply the brakes to slow down so I could get into a left hand turning lane. As soon as I touched the brakes, the car revved up and accelerated to a very high speed on its own. IżM not sure how fast I was going, but fast enough to throw me back against the car seat as I ran through a red light unable to stop. I tried the brakes again but they didn't work.. shifting the car into neutral or any other gear did nothing to slow or stop the car either. I finally reached down and turned the key off, at which time I lost my power steering. I steered into an open field, hit a fence, and continued quite a ways the car was stopped by an incline to a ravine.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Sep 222015

Santa Fe

I received a service campaign notification re my 2007 Hyundai sante fe auto to inspect (& possibly replace) the alternator & replace the front valve cover gasket. I made an appointment with the van nuys ca service department. After persisting to get an answer as to how long the service would take, I was told I could expect 2 days. I need transportation to & from Hyundai. I was told their shuttle would only take me 6 miles. My home is 8.2 miles away. I was told I could rent a vehicle for $30+ per day. It it appropriate that such a notification should cost me upwards of $60"???? what Agency oversees automobile safety or to whom should I complain about this"

- Beverly Hills, CA, USA

Sep 242015

Santa Fe

On the way to take my children to school my fuel light came on. I thought this was odd as I had a half a tank of gas when I parked it in the garage for the night. I went to the gas station filled up the gas tank (it only tool $13 to fill up) even though I knew I wasn't empty. Well the very next morning again my gas light was on saying it's empty. My check engine light was never been on during this.

- Phenix City, AL, USA

Jul 152015

Santa Fe

All of the sudden my gas guage started to fluctuate in its readings. I noticed one day my gas light was on--stating my gas tank was empty and I know I had gas in the tank. I ended up going to the gas station and filled the tank. My guage read full for a day then my gas light went on (empty). As I drove the car I noticed the gas guage slowly rise to the correct reading of "full". the fluctuation in the readings are constant. This is very frustrating and concerning to me, as I drive children around and cannot rely on my gas guage to give me an accurate reading. I am constantly going to the gas station just to make sure that I do have gas. This issue caused my engine light to come on. If I run out of gas on the freeway, or off in the desert here, it could be fatal.

- Prescott, AZ, USA

Aug 012015

Santa Fe

All of the sudden my gas guage started to fluctuate in its readings. I noticed one day my gas light was on--stating my gas tank was empty and I know I had gas in the tank. I ended up going to the gas station and filled the tank. My guage read full for a day then my gas light went on (empty). As I drove the car I noticed the gas guage slowly rise to the correct reading of "full". the fluctuation in the readings are constant. This is very frustrating and concerning to me, as I drive children around and cannot rely on my gas guage to give me an accurate reading. I am constantly going to the gas station just to make sure that I do have gas. This issue caused my engine light to come on and as a result cannot pass emissions until I get this fixed.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 312015

Santa Fe

I purchased this vehicle used in August of 2015 and when I filled the car up I noticed the fuel gauge didn't read full. Within a few minutes the fuel hand dropped below half full. I hit the trip button to see what the range display was reporting and it was dropping like a rock (started at 200+ miles and dropped down to less than 100 miles). Then a few minutes after that the empty light came on and the check engine light came on. I took it to autozone and they diagnosed it with a P0460. This appears to be a frequent problem on this model car. I can't understand why this is not a recall situation. It is possible to run out of gas while moving (on expressway) which could cause a major accident.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Apr 032015

Santa Fe

My gas gauge started malfunctioning earlier in 2015, then it totally went out by may of 2015. Now, it works when it wants to, but it's never really right. My trip gauge doesn't work either. Thanks to this issue, I failed my smog test, they said that my gas tank sensors need to be replaced. I got an estimate of nearly $1000 to complete this procedure that lots of other owners have had problems with. Why isn't this a repair covered by Hyundai" do you build your products to last long enough to make it through your warranty period" I've never had to replace this with previous vehicles.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Jun 012015

Santa Fe

After starting my vehicle and proceeded to work my Santa Fe ESC light came on and the car went into a "limp mode". it slowed down to 10 mph and wouldn't let me accelerate. I pulled over and I could feel the engine sputtering. I turned off the engine and waited a minute. Turned the engine back on and proceeded to work without incident. Now no matter when I drive whether its a cold start or after 30 minutes of driving the vehicle goes into limp mode. While driving at a slow speed on back roads is not a serious issue I feel that when I am on the highway traveling at 65mph and it happens is a major safety issue. This has happened on numerous occasions and I no longer feel safe in my vehicle. I have done some research on this problem and I am not the only one. This is a serious issues that I feel needs to be addressed by Hyundai immediately before someone gets injured or killed.

- Stewartsville, NJ, USA

Jul 272015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai sante fe. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted; however, there was the smell of fuel inside the cabin. The contact stated that the smell increased when the air conditioning was activated. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel tank fractured and was leaking. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 06V317000 (fuel system, gasoline). The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Oak Lawn, IL, USA

Jul 072015

Santa Fe

When I filled up my car the gas gauge said it was empty and the light came on. I took it to get repaired and the sensor was bad. There are sensors on both sides of the vehicle. After paying $700 it still doesn't work. I travel on the highway everyday and need to know how much fuel is in my car - this is a safety issue for me. There are several complaints about this same issue but no recall - why??

- Reno, NV, USA

Dec 012014

Santa Fe

Gas tank shows empty although full. A few minutes searching on the internet shows this is a known and common problem across the Hyundai Santa Fe line for years. The issue is that the fuel level sensors are made to fail prematurely, requiring replacement of both the sender components.

- Allegan, MI, USA

May 082015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Leaving my home to travel out of town, the engine light came on. After having a diagnostic test completed I was told the sensors in the gas tank are malfunctioning (P0464) and this is a known issue with 2007 Hyundai sante fe models. The gauge telling me how much gas I have is not reading correctly due to the sensor malfunction and can cause me to run out of gas at any time. The dealer refuses to do anything about it without charging me a $98 "diagnostic fee" even though the diagnostic was done elsewhere. I have an extended warranty on this vehicle but they refuse to honor that as well.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Apr 012015

Santa Fe

Hyundai Hyundai for about a year and the fuel gauge has been screwing up 3 months after purchasing the car used. This seems to be a common problem I've noticed several other people complained about it I don't understand how many factors can just not repair such an issue especially its cost between 500 to 700 dollars to repair.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 312015

Santa Fe

The fuel level gauge changes randomly. Check engines codes P0463, P0464, P2068 indicates a fuel level sensor failure. This is issue has occurred on other car manufacturers potentially using the same sensor system. There have been no recalls issued for this problem. The owner will not be able to know the accurate fuel level of the vehicle. This may cause tank overfilling and potentially safety and environmental issues. This is very expensive to repair ($1000) and is not covered by Hyundai after the 5 year warranty.

- North Plains, OR, USA

Apr 162015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Gas gauge reads empty to 1/4 full after filling. Driving home from work, lost all power to vehicle and all the warning lights on the instrument panel went on. Had vehicle towed then read other complaints.when I restarted vehicle next day the vehicle seemed to run fine.the fuel light and check engine light are still on but that is a different issue.

- Mukwonago, WI, USA

Feb 072015

Santa Fe

I had just purchased gas a few days before and all of a sudden my gas gauge registered no gas. I knew I was not on empty and went to the gas station and purchased more gas, which was only a couple of dollars to top it off. In the past 6 weeks, my gas gauge fluctuates between empty or wherever else it wants to land. It is very unreliable to use the odometer/trip calculator to pinpoint how much gas is left in the tank. I have researched this fuel sensor issue all over the internet and come to find out this has been a serious problem with the 2007 and 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe's. Hyundai has fixed the problem with the fuel sensor starting with the 2009's so they realized there was an issue. Unfortunately, the repair for the fuel sensor can run almost a $1,000, which is a huge amount of money for a problem that Hyundai knows exists. Please help.

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Dec 162014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel gauge level erratic. Check engine code indicates fuel level sensors. No recalls have been issued for this problem.

- Irvine, CA, USA