2007 Hyundai Santa Fe suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Jul 062016

Santa Fe

Steering & suspension :front shock absorber leaking, the vehicle bounces too much, too difficult to control the vehicle. Front struts need to be changed. Ball joints had worn out very fast because front struts are not good. All lower arms and all tie rod end worn out.that change the wheel alignment, unable to control or steer the vehicle.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Jan 192012

Santa Fe

Owned vehicle since new and have had all services performed. Currently 72,000 miles. Car has been plagued with clunky, noisy suspension problems since about 35,000 miles. Noises and ride at all speeds are so bad that this has to impact potential safety. Dealers have replaced power steering rack; pinion; P/S sway bar; link assembly; lower control arm (2X); P/S front stabilizer link; L/F control arm, bolt and nut. None of the "fixes" have lasted more than a few thousand miles, and we were right back to where we were. We are "easy drivers" who do no offroad or rough road driving. Were it not for these issues, this would be a "decent" SUV.

- Morris Plains, NJ, USA

Oct 122012

Santa Fe

When driving at any speed and going over any minor irregularity in the road surface, distracting noises from the front suspension...squeaks, creaking and thuds are best word to describe. Very disturbing as nothing is visible according to mechanics but there is an internal problem due to the hundreds of on line complaints I'm seeing.

- Elkridge, MD, USA

Dec 132013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving at 15 mph, the contact noticed a loud clicking sound from the front driver side of the vehicle. The failure also occurred while in reverse. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the front lower control arm bushings needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 116,595.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Aug 072009

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I have had this Santa Fe since 2008 and have kept up with the service on this vehicle. I have been in to the dealership many times for the same noise, and that is a clunking sound when driving at speeds between 15 and 25mph. When I drive over a bump in the road, it sounds like something is loose and rattles. And it feels like the steering is more aggressive since I had all that work done. I love my Santa Fe and have never had any problems, except for that noise in the front end. I have replaced the sway bar links and struts recently, because they told me that was the problem and I still have the same noise. I saw a tbs bulletin dated back in 2008 about the steering yoke could be making that noise too. And you can feel it in the steering wheel when you hit small bumps too.

- Midwest City, OK, USA

Aug 022014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

2 things are concerning. One, when driving over small cracks, bumps in roadway the suspension makes a noise that makes me think it is unstable. It is also a louder than average noise, compared to past vehicles that I have owned. Second, driving at speeds below 60 mph, everything is normal. Once speeds above 60 are reached, the steering column shakes and vibrates. The noise described earlier in paragraph one is heard. Alignment and balancing are normal. Tire tread is also normal. Neither of these two are acceptable and in my opinion is a risk.

- Prescott Valley, AZ, USA

Aug 232014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The drive axel broke while the car was doing approximately 5 mph. When it broke, the ball joint pulled out of the right side wheel, a piece of metal flew up and tore the serpentine belt. There is a recall #112 for the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe that the drive axel can break but I was told it does not affect my car. How does the drive axel just break. The recall affects the front right axel. Prior to it breaking, I was going down I70 at 70mph, thankfully, it didn't break at that time.

- Grain Valley, MO, USA

Jun 282014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Numerous visits to the local dealer from 2010 through this visit for clunking and banging of the suspension with concerns for safety. They begrudgingly replaced a tie rod in 2011 on one side, link assembly stabilizer on both sides, lower arm assembly on left - and now that right controller arm is faulty and could cause a crash they refuse to honor the warranty. When there are concerns of safety for over 3 years for the same issue I believe they need to launch a full scale investigation. Hyundai is in the news for other suspension failures. Obviously faulty/poor quality parts are known. Hyundai needs to live up to the 60,000 mile extended warranty I had, and the 10 year 100,000 warranty I still have. The wear ad tear on this vehicle is minimal (driven to work 6 miles roundtrip and easy freeway driving maybe once a month). In addition to the suspension my passenger visor fell off the ceiling and dangles unless duct taped. Way to go Hyundai.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Jan 212014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Exiting from a parking lot onto 7th St in phoenix AZ, vehicle suddenly accelerated and, despite brake application, entered the roadway, hitting a Mercury Grand Marquis in the side. Nobody was injured and airbags did not inflate. Once stopped, it was impossible to move the gear shift from neutral into park to release the key. Vehicle towed and, as frame was damaged as well as front end and radiator, insurance are writing the vehicle off.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 012008

Santa Fe

I am the sole owner of a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe, which was bought from a Hyundai dealer. For about a year, the car drove great and was quiet. The vehicle was never in a crash or driven roughly. The vehicle is only driven to and from work on government maintained roads. I have noticed a thumping and rattling sound from the front suspension when driving over small bumps. I have taken it to the dealer 7+ times for the suspension problems. Front sway bar, shocks, and misc parts have been replaced with no change in smoothness when driving. Hyundai hears the problem, but does not know what is wrong with the vehicle. They just continue to change misc parts until the warranty runs out. Please have Hyundai conduct a recall to force them to fix the problem for good. I have read numerous complaints online for the same problem. This is a safety concern because the front suspension sounds like it is falling a part when going over small cracks in the road. If Hyundai is not forced to identify the problem, how do we know our vehicle is safe.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 032011

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I noticed the vehicle made a clinking sound when going over bumps; the dealer claimed it was a cd in the side pocket of the car. Second visit they claimed to inspect suspension and find nothing wrong. Third visit they reinspected suspension and replaced one piece of driver side suspension, fourth visit they inspected and replaced another piece of driver side suspension, fifth visit they realigned and did a wheel balance (which should have happened with repairs 3 and 4). Sixth visit they claimed they could not hear the clunk anymore, I am going into the seventh visit with the car still clunking and now the electronic stability control light turns on and off intermittently in everyday traffic under dry conditions at 20 mph. Each visit they tell me they will repair any damages that may be caused by a failure of a part - yeah right! in a poor economy they would rather I smash my car than have it for years (I only have 58000 miles on a 2007 vehicle).

- Dublin, OH, USA

Dec 192011

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I bought this 2007 Santa Fe in November, 2007. I took good care of the car and had done all maintenance at Hyundai dealers. Since the summer of 2011 (car mileage less than 48000 miles), I felt the car had abnormal noise from front, also felt suspension became bumpy. So I brought it to the dealer in December, 2011. They found both left and right front suspension sway bar links were worn out. Those parts are not supposed to be wear parts. But Hyundai refused to admit their failure within warranty is a quality issue. As part of the suspension system, their failure could result in dangerous situation to people. I want them to admit that part failure and recall it.

- Amherst, NY, USA

Nov 152011

Santa Fe

Second set of tires cupping. First set replaced at 23000 miles. Current tires bad at 58000 miles. Have no reason for this. Tire rotation done every 5000 miles. Tires not over-inflated. Not alignment issue, although alignment was done and bolts replaced at 23000 miles. Sounds like a Hyundai suspension problem.

- Carbondale, IL, USA

Sep 012011

Santa Fe

Rattling underneath front on uneven pavement. Stabilizer bar replaced at 79,000 miles. I don't believe this is normal "wear and tear".

- Columbus, OH, USA

Oct 102010

Santa Fe

This complaint refers to the SRS airbag system in the Santa Fe. While the airbag system is intact I have been told by a certified Hyundai repair center that the clock spring and the junction box have failed. Given the premature nature of this failure I believe that this system is flawed and represents a widespread hazard to the american public. In addition, all four brake rotors and the sway bar needed to be replaced with less than 70,000 miles due to excessive wear which rendered them unsafe (according to the aforementioned center).

- Hatboro, PA, USA

Jun 102010

Santa Fe

2007 Hyundai Santa Fe - the tires are prematurely wearing out. Every 15 months or so the tires must be replaced. Good tires and rotated regularly. There is something wrong. There are too many other people with the same problem. The dealer has replaced sway/tie rods, aligned tires, still tires wear out. Vehicle is still under warranty but the cost of the tires comes out of my pocket. Something must be done to identify the cause of this.

- Tamiment, PA, USA

Aug 102008

Santa Fe

Tires start cupping around 6,000 miles on new tires.

- Council Bluffs, IA, USA

Mar 202009

Santa Fe

I just had to have my rear brakes completely done at a cost of 500 dollars. I heard no noise, and there was no indication that there was any problems with the brakes except the fact that the brake light was on. I drive 95% highway and consequently very rarely use my brakes. I also had to have a front end alignment done and now my rear alignment is out of whack.

- Springfield, VT, USA

Aug 182008

Santa Fe

Major problems with our 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe including gas tank door latch needing to be replaced, car shaking uncontrollably, which the dealer diagnosed as a coil issue. The last problem led to the car being towed to the dealer. They are replacing the transmission due a failure of the car to accelerate and then lurch into gear, creating a very dangerous situation.

- Great Neck, NY, USA