2008 Hyundai Santa Fe brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Jun 182016

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving 60 mph, the brakes failed to disengage after the brake pedal was depressed and a burning odor was noticed. The anti-lock braking system and the electronic stability control warning light illuminated. The contact pulled over to the side of the road and noticed smoke coming from all four tires. The contact left the vehicle idling for awhile and the smoke stopped. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the hydraulic and electrical control units failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Dec 152015

Santa Fe

When driving and you hit the breaks, the vehicle attempts to stall, or if you use the high or low breams the radio shuts off and the gps turns on or you loses it all, while on high way way if you use your high or low beams the engine starts to stall then keeps going causing the vehicle behind you have to break quickly to avoid hitting you as you loose all power for a matter of seconds this happen while moving or parked, I mhave installed two new alternators in the past three weeks and the problem coniinues

- Billerica, MA, USA

Jul 022015

Santa Fe

I lost power steering and power brakes while stopped at a stop sign going up a very steep grade. I was unable to shift into park so that I could turn my car off. I had to lay on the brake with all my weight to keep from rolling backwards into cars behind me. There were no warning lights. After a minute, which felt like much longer, I was able to shift to park and turn my car off and back on. The second time I lost all power, was a couple months later. I was going about 40 mph on a curvy hilly road. I was unable to steer, accelerate, decelerate, or apply the brakes. There were cars behind me and I was terrified I would end up off the road or heading into oncoming traffic. The vehicle finally came to a stop when it didn't have enough momentum to make it up a hill. I was able to shift into park and turn the car off and back on. Both times my infant was in the car with me. Thank goodness both of us were unharmed, because we could have very easily been hurt or hurt others. I was in a several thousand pound vehicle which was out of control. I had it towed to the dealership the next day as I refused to drive it. They didn't seem to think it was a big deal and said I needed a new alternator. Luckily, I had purchased an extended warranty which covered the alternator replacement.

- Hixson, TN, USA

May 202014

Santa Fe

The 2008 Santa Fe traveling between 55& 60mph on divided highway would not slow down when I took my foot off of accelerator. I applied brakes but difficult to make vehicle stop. I think I slowed it down a lot but did not or would not be able to stop. It was like idle got stuck on high! after 20 seconds or so the acceleration returned to normal & I proceeded. It was scary ! first time this happened. I just had it in for service to replace to headlights & missing screw under front seat.

- Madison, WI, USA

Dec 052013

Santa Fe

Was second vehicle at stop light with foot on brake. Vehicle suddenly lunged forward overriding brake, and hit back of vehicle in front causing damage and possible injury to other driver. Had pedestrians been in front, could easily have run over them. Months prior, twice on same day engine power died while driving. Hyundai replaced throttle position sensor.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jun 162013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated while driving approximately 10 mph the vehicle unexpectedly failed to accelerate with the illumination of the ESC and engine warning indicator. The engine was turned off. The vehicle resumed upon restarting; however, the engine warning indicator remained illuminated. The failure recurred eight times. In addition, on numerous occasions when depressing the accelerator pedal hesitation would follow. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 13V113000 (exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic). The recall remedy was performed on two occasions and the failure persisted after each repair. The vehicle was currently being repaired for the most recent failure. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 92,099.

- Marrero, LA, USA

Oct 092009

Santa Fe

See attached email updated 06/04/2013 the occupant classification system (osc) does not consistently recognize small-statured adults, causing the passenger side air bag to deactivate when such person occupy the front seat. Also, there were problems with the transmission, a knocking noise coming from the front of the vehicle, the vehicle shutting down, an issue with the throttle cable, and a whining sound upon acceleration.

- Ririe, ID, USA

Mar 302013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while driving with the cruise control activated at 70 mph, he applied the brakes but the cruise control would not disengage. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed of a recall for the failure under NHTSA campaign number: 13V113000 (exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic). The dealer replaced the stop lamp switch per the recall however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified but no assistance was offered. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure and current mileage was 76,000.

- Palm Springs, CA, USA

Apr 172013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the engine rpms increased excessively as the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. The contact stated that the brakes failed to respond and the vehicle was placed in neutral in order to stop the failure. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 95,000.

- Anaheim , CA, USA