2008 Hyundai Santa Fe seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 292016

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle began to hydroplane without warning. The contact stated that the steering failed and, due to the contact attempting to apply the brakes, the vehicle began to spin. The vehicle crashed into the road divider. The passenger side of the vehicle was damaged. The air bags did not deploy. The vehicle was towed. A police report was filed. The contact received shoulder and back injuries, which required medical attention. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the ball bearings on the front axle were worn out. The tie rods were replaced, but the calipers needed to be replaced also. The vehicle was repaired. The body of the vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the ESC and ABS sensors illuminated. The contact returned the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the tires and brake pads needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Jul 012016

Santa Fe

Hyundai dealer said my ball joints were bad, $750 for repairs, Hyundai has recall I was not notified. Drivers air bag illuminated, going in for repair Friday cost unknown. Again I was not notified about recall. I have to pay for repairs because I was not notified about recalls.

- Rockford, IL, USA

May 162016

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the front driver side air bag warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The independent mechanic was unable to retrieve a fault code. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 57,000.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Apr 042016

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving at various speeds, the air bag warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 44,000.

- Plymouth Meeting, PA, USA

Aug 102015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the clock spring switch needed to be replaced. In addition, the technician made the contact aware that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 11V472000 (air bags). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 112,000.

- Lansing, NY, USA

Jun 122015

Santa Fe

Hyundai safety recall campaign no. 103: In relation to the above recall, my vehicle did not qualify due to it being manufactured on 2 June 2008. My clock spring for the driver's air bag has become inoperable as indicated by the air bag light illumination and dealer's diagnosis. The dealer states since there in no recall, I must pay for this part and the diagnosis because I have surpassed the 5yr/60K warranty. This is a safety issue and I am surprised it is not covered for free. As seen with the above recall campaign, I was a few months shy of having it replaced for free regardless of mileage. Is there a way to have my vehicle qualify for the recall?

- Eglin Afb, FL, USA

Apr 272015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. When the ignition was turned to the on position, the air bag warning light illuminated continuously. The failure recurred continuously. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the clock spring assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 58,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 012015

Santa Fe

My red air bag light has been on for about 2 months. I took it to the Hyundai dealership and they wanted $1500. My issue is I did nothing to cause the air bag malfunction so why should I pay this extremely high cost. (I'm retired) I also spoke with the Hyundai regional manager and they offered me $200. This is a safety hazard and I want Hyundai to fix this!!! I took my car in for the air bag recall in 2012, so something continues to be wrong with the air bag system.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Feb 012013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the clock spring needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact was made aware of NHTSA campaign number: 11V472000 (air bags) however, the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Vega Baja, PR, USA

Jun 252014

Santa Fe

I took my vehicle into the dealership in may to fix two recalls, one of which was the air bag recalibration on the passenger seat. Approximately two weeks after the recall was done, my air bag light came in. I took it to the same dealership that had performed the recalls and they said it was the seat belt pretensioner in the passenger seat & would cost $491 to fix. I told them they should pay for it because it had something to do with the recall they had just performed but they refused and now I am out the money. I had no choice but to fix it because in case of an accident my passenger would be unprotected. Hyundai America should reimburse me the money!

- Conroe, TX, USA

May 172014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Air bag light warning light remains on when vehicle is running. Took to dealer they said is clock spring assembly needs replacing. I told them it was a recall and they said there is no recall on it. I declined the repair because I knew there was a recall but I didn't take paperwork with me thinking they would know about it. Upon returning home and finding paperwork on recall (camp103) I called back and they now said there was a recall and they replaced that part in November 2012. I do not remember them replacing it but I'll take them at their word on that. My issue is, did they replace the recalled part with another defective part if it only lasted 18 months! I've had many cars over the years some a decade old or older never this air bag issue. I feel they should replace this recall again if they repaired it with another short lived defective part......updated 07/21/15

- Dansville, NY, USA

Jun 052014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The 2008 Hyundai sante fe has a recall on faulty airbag clocksprings. Coincidentally my 2008 sante fe clock spring now needs to be replaced. The Hyundai service dealership and Hyundai customer care tells me that I am not covered because my VIN is not listed in the "recall campaign" my confusion is I own a 2008 the recalls are for the 2008....how do I get my car included in this "recall campaign"? please help. I will have to pay $400 to get this fixed when it should be under Hyundai faulty warranty. Please help the little guy/consumer!! thank you

- Swampscott, MA, USA

May 312014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Clock spring contact had to be replaced on the driver side of my Hyundai sante fe 2008 built on April 03, 2008. The NHTSA recall did not go far enough and ended March 20,2008. The driver side air bag continuously lit up indicating a problem. The clock spring contact had to be replaced and I was charged for the replacement. The recall should be extended beyond March 20,2008 so that my car is included in the recall since this is a severe safety issue which may have caused multiple deaths...... updated 06/30/15

- Winter Springs, FL, USA

Jun 062013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I took my vehicle to the dealership to perform two recalls: (1) stop lamp switch and (2) pods recalibration. I was informed the air bag light in the dashboard had come on and stayed on after the recalibration of the pods. I never had an issue with the pods system or an air warning light in the dash prior to the recall. I was told Hyundai would pay to either replace the passenger front seat belt tensioner or the entire seat. They did not allow me to drive my vehicle because they said it was a safety issue and rented me a car for 4 days. Replacing the seat belt tensioner fixed the problem, but less than a year later (4-15-14) the air light has come on and now they tell me that it's the scale in the seat and the entire seat needs to be replaced at a cost to me of $2400+. the service advisor told me that the driver's side air bags were not affected -- only the passenger's and I would be safe to drive the car. The service tech quickly returned the car and we didn't receive any paperwork resulting from the inspection. My husband and I did not elect to replace the seat at this time while we research the issue. However, my husband and I did notice that the pods "off" light turns off when a passenger is in the seat which is confusing since the advisor said the scale isn't working. Now we are left with a 6-year-old car that has an expensive safety issue. We can't sell it to a private party because of the safety issue and the trade-in value has dramatically declined.

- Patterson, CA, USA

Oct 312013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection however the contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V472000 (air bags). The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Apr 012013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Back in April, my Santa Fe also had the fuel gauge issue. It also began fluctuating wildly and the range computer was all over the place. The dealer told me it was part of the fuel pump and that I had to replace both of them, who knew it had two. It cost me $1,583.80 to fix. They told me if I didn't fix it, the car could just lose power and we would be stuck on the side of the road. This should definitely be a recall!!!! now, my Santa Fe has the air bag light on. There was a recall for this back in 2011, which I definitely received literature from Hyundai about it. Yesterday, the dealer first told me that recall didn't exist. Then they told me it didn't apply to my make or model, nor did it apply to my VIN. They wanted to charge $350 to fix the clock spring assembly. I refused since I know this was recalled. I'm going to try and contact the corporate office of Hyundai about this. In the meantime, I don't have a driver side air bag in the event of an accident. Thanks Hyundai. Stay away from Hyundai vehicles!!!!

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Oct 092009

Santa Fe

See attached email updated 06/04/2013 the occupant classification system (osc) does not consistently recognize small-statured adults, causing the passenger side air bag to deactivate when such person occupy the front seat. Also, there were problems with the transmission, a knocking noise coming from the front of the vehicle, the vehicle shutting down, an issue with the throttle cable, and a whining sound upon acceleration.

- Ririe, ID, USA

Apr 262013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the air bag warning light illuminated sporadically. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the driver's seat would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not ben repaired. The failure and current mileage was 24,500. Updated 06/18/13 updated 06/21/2013

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 082012

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign id numbers 12V354000 (air bags: Frontal: Sensor/ control module) and 11V472000 (air bags:frontal). The contact also stated that after the repairs, the air bag warning light illuminated without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the front passenger seat belt tension sensor wiring harness clip failed and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 60,784. The current mileage was approximately 62,550. The VIN was unavailable.

- Portsmouth, RI, USA

Jul 162012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Work under the recall to repair faulty sensors that failed to detect small statured adults (95 lb wife). For failure to detect didn't resolve issue, and efforts to determine what the new trigger weight was got nowhere with either local or hq reps. So now driving a vehicle that mfr has acknowledged safety defects yet refuses to fix.

- Boulder, CO, USA