2009 Hyundai Santa Fe brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 202016

Santa Fe

When driving the 2009 Santa Fe the car will shut off without warning. Power to breaks and steering is lost. Sometimes the car will start again when the car is placed in neutral and restarted. Sometimes the car will not start again for several minutes. In both instances the car is moving on a hilly road. The most recent occurrence is 09/20/2016

- Mountain Home, AR, USA

Jul 142016

Santa Fe

Iżve taken my 2009 Santa Fe to the rick case roswell, ga on Friday, 7/1/2016 and again today, 7/15/2016, both for the same issue, my car is stalling while I drive it. On 7/1 they told me it was the battery, so had a new one installed while there. Both times, IżM been turning into a curve (it was a right hand turn on 7/1 and a left hand turn on 7/15). The first time I was lucky as it was just coming off a stop light. Last night, however, it was a curve to get on the highway with an 18 wheeler thundering behind me when my car stalled, and I lost the power steering and braking and almost became an 18 wheeler hood ornament. As I mentioned, the dealer is perplexed by the issue, nothing is showing up on the diagnostics and they canżT replicate the problem. I had to leave the dealership with the sense that IżM driving around in a ticking time bomb. As a women who frequently drives by herself in the car, and on the highway 99.9% of the time, I canżT tell you the fear that knowing that this can happen again at any moment and that the next time I may not be so lucky, instills in me. This is my second Hyundai and I have always considered myself to be a proud Hyundai owner, but I just did a little research and found out that a) not only am I far from the only person who has had this issue, B) there has actually been a class action law suit that Hyundai lost regarding the frequent stalling of Hyundai vehicles. I need Hyundai to fix this issue asap or risk being sued by my family after IżM killed in a car accident that is the direct result of your stalling vehicles.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Apr 232016

Santa Fe

There is a current recall for this make and model car to replace the brake lamp switch for safety reasons but it didn't include my VIN for some reason, even though the exact same thing happened on my vehicle. The brake lamp switch was failing and needed to be replaced. I don't understand why the recall wouldn't be for my car as well as it's the same safety concern.

- Lincoln, CA, USA

Dec 282015

Santa Fe

Vehicle inspection performed by manufacture certified technician. Two issues were recommended by the technician: A) new tires. All 4 tires currently on the vehicle are around 5 years old (based on the dot date of manufacture), and have been driven for over 100,000 miles (based on odometer readings from 2010 and current). B) new rear brake pads and rotors. The inspection revealed rear pads around 3 mm, and rotors showing rust. These are safety issues, which should be addressed before selling the vehicle. Regular maintenance has been performed on this vehicle, but existing records do not specify that recommended fluid/timing belt replacements were performed.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Oct 222015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving approximately 70 mph with the cruise control engaged, the vehicle accelerated independently without warning. In addition, the contact mentioned that the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed; however, the failure was unable to be duplicated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 138,880. Updated 02/12/16

- Long Lake, MN, USA

May 082015

Santa Fe

We were exiting a ramp off rt 75 in Florida. Our speed was about 30 mph. Suddenly we loss power steering and braking and acceleration. We coasted to a stop. We turned off the ignition and restarted the car after about 2 minutes...everything returned to normal. It was the second such experience. The first was August 2013. The dealership replaced the throttle sensor at that time. This latest experience is the exact duplicate of the first. I am taking the car to the dealership tomorrow morning.

- Lady Lake, FL, USA

May 102015

Santa Fe

I was heading out and the ABS and ESC lights came on. Decided to turn around and go back home, due to fact that I was worried and scared that something was wrong with ABS brakes and the ESC control, that may or may not cause a crash or accident. I do not want to have an accident or end up getting hurt or hurt anyone else for that matter. Read in manual that it could be a faulty switch or sensor. I do not have that kid of costly money to fix problem. I need my car to get to doctors appointments as I have many health issues. If there is a recall I would like to know and have it fixed free of charge.

- Sanford, ME, USA

Apr 222015

Santa Fe

I was driving my white Hyundai Santa Fe limited, 3.3L, 6cyl SUV home from work at approximately 4:30 pm eastern standard time. I was driving on the expressway at 70 mph when the engine suddenly shuts down and I lose steering control and brakes, veering onto a narrow shoulder and into a slope that sent my SUV into a swamp ditch, submerging the SUV up past the floorboards. My insurance claim specialist notified me that the vehicle was a total loss, and paid a claim payout and settlement far less than the amount still owed on the vehicle. It is my opinion that a cyber-attack signal sent to the SUVż's engine immobilizer switch, shut down the engine without warning, electronically. This can be accomplished from any hand held device, mobil phone, lap top computer, satellite feed, etc. All that is required is a VIN number, and any signal to the engine immobilizer switch can shut down the engine dangerously at highway speeds. This has happened at lower speeds of 20mph, where I would just turn the ignition key, the SUV would start the engine, and I would proceed. However, at highway speeds, I did not have this option.

- Port Richey, FL, USA

Nov 052012

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the brakes failed due to corrosion. The failure occurred three times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician explained that due to the cold weather, the calipers and brackets corroded and jammed. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Warwick, RI, USA

Aug 152014

Santa Fe

Car had a defective brake so it couldn't stop until it crashed into the light pole after pumped other car.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Aug 132014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Vehicle was being driven and pulled in to driveway of home to a controlled stop by pressing the brake pedal. At which point, vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed through the closed garage door and proceeded at accelerating speed into garage and hit a wall (wooden beams and sheetrock walls) separating interior of garage and interior of kitchen area of home. Vehicle came to a stop against the wall with brake pedal continuously pressed down. When attempting to shift into park, it resisted and key also would not come out. Emergency brake was pressed at this time and after several failed attempts, vehicle finally was able to shift to park and key was able to come out to turn vehicle off. Vehicle caused damage to garage door and interior wall of home.

- Wildwood, MO, USA

Jun 272014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Rear left wheel had high pitch screeching sound at 50-55 mph tap the brakes and it would quit momentarily and then start screeching again. Stopped and checked wheel on right and left side. Right side was lukewarm to the touch and left wheel was too hot to keep hand on it. I took it to local mechanic and he showed me the pads on the left wheel and they was white from excessive heat because they were not released back from the rotor. Pads had to be pried out instead of normally coming out easy. Extremely rust corroded cleaned up all rust on pads and bracket and they work fine now. I drove Santa Fe about 60 miles and never heard it no more.

- Russell Springs, KY, USA

Jun 242014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I was driving about 30 mph after driving about 6 miles at 55 mph and I heard a high pitched squeak. It changed when I applied the brakes. I later stopped and felt the wheels and the right rear was hot. Took the vehicle to the dealer and they determined it was brake pads that were corroded/stuck. They wanted $100 to fix the problem. I got the impression that this happens quite often. I think it is dangerous. In my opinion this could cause a fire. The brakes are not made to run this hot. It should also be covered under their 5 year/ 50,000 mile warranty and they claim it is not.

- Hastings, MN, USA

Jun 022014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai sante fe. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated to 90 mph. The contact mentioned that the transmission was able to shift into neutral but the vehicle failed to shut off. Also, the contact stated that he attempted to engage the brakes but the vehicle failed to stop. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 8,900. Updated 09/15/14 updated 1/7/2015

- Lexington, KY, USA

Aug 212013

Santa Fe 6-cyl Diesel

Rear brake caliber locked up, brakes overheated. Had to have both calibers replace.

- East Berlin, PA, USA

Oct 092013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I was pulling into the parking space in a parking structure. I was already pressing the brake and just began to press it a bit harder to stop the vehicle in the parking space. Just as I gave the brake pedal a bit more pressure, my car sped forward, jumping a cement wheel stop in the parking space, crashing me into the wall of the parking structure. The force of hitting the wall threw the car backwards where the wheels got stuck between the wheel stop and the wall. Hitting the wheel stop then sent my car back into the cement wall; rebounding off of the wall this second time, the car was propelled over the wheel stop and finally stopped moving.the cement wall was cracked and very precarious to those using the sidewalks underneath. My car has significant damage to the front end. Two people on staff at the parking structure saw the entire thing and asked 'what happened?" one of the witnesses said he saw my brake lights on right before it sped up and flew into the wall. Called Hyundai and learned that there is a recall on my car. Although this recall states that it is to replace some sort of brake light switch, the lady at Hyundai said that this type of acceleration was listed as one of the problems caused by this 'switch' that has to be replaced. I told Hyundai that I am now scared to drive my car until it is checked to fix any problems that are going on with the brakes/acceleration. They were so nice! they invited me to make an appointment at any dealership and have it inspected - at my cost. I just can't believe that they are so unconcerned. Anyway, that is Santa Fe tale of woe. Would appreciate help with dealing with Hyundai to get this resolved; or at least have them check it out for no charge.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Sep 022013

Santa Fe

At 32,000 mile the rear driver's side wheel smelled hot, brake dust residue visible and squealing coming from this driver's side rear wheel. Found that the driver's side rear outside brake pad was worn down to metal. Driver's side inside pad and passenger rear pads, both inside and out were fine with hardly any wear on them.. Hyundai dealer said it is normal for rear disc pad to wear this uneven and for caliper's to stick on causing this. I feel this is a defect in either design or quality of parts as other Santa Fe owners are also experiencing this at even lower mileage. Dealer wants you to pay $60 to have your disc brakes cleaned and adjusted (what is there to adjust?) why do only Hyundai Santa Fe brakes need this unheard of service" why is it only occurring on the driver's side for me and other owners" disc brakes should not act this way.

- North Fond Du Lac, WI, USA

May 312013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

While driving, driver's side rear wheel generating a screeching noise and a burning smell. Checked tire and both the tire and wheel rim were red hot. Took to Hyundai dealer. Said calipers not sliding properly. They claim on Santa Fe's you have to bring them in for service (the calipers) every 10K or so, as the rear calipers have a tendency to freeze. I checked the internet, and there are numerous postings on Hyundai Santa Fe owners having similar problems. Also an article in this week's hartford courant auto section of a consumer with a similar problem. If I had not pulled the car over and checked this out thoroughly, I could have had a blowout as the hot tire would have exploded. There may be a defect in Santa Fe calipers. A safety recall may be in order.

- Manchester, CT, USA

Jun 012013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

While traveling I heard a high pitch squealing noise. Unsure of what the noise was, I took the Santa Fe to my mechanic. He checked the brakes and showed me that the rear driver side brake housing did not move as freely as the others. His suggestion was to not drive more than about 2 hours at a time because there is the possibility of the brake system heating up and catching fire. Since the tire is right by the gas tank, that tells me there is a significant safety hazard. Any fire near gasoline has the potential to... I have seen many similar complaints on line and feel this is a manufacturing defect.

- Mercerville, NJ, USA

Oct 012012

Santa Fe

This incident occurred at night time. About 10 min from a cold start, I turned onto the 210 fwy. There was a 270 degree downhill turn (a steep curve) so I had the brakes on while doing 15 mph. Half way into the turn, I suddenly lost brake and steering wheel froze. With some effort, I managed to turn the steering and stop the car. The engine died without warning. Later I sent the car to dealership but they could not reproduce the event.

- Riverside, CA, USA