2009 Hyundai Santa Fe drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Dec 282015

Santa Fe

Vehicle inspection performed by manufacture certified technician. Two issues were recommended by the technician: A) new tires. All 4 tires currently on the vehicle are around 5 years old (based on the dot date of manufacture), and have been driven for over 100,000 miles (based on odometer readings from 2010 and current). B) new rear brake pads and rotors. The inspection revealed rear pads around 3 mm, and rotors showing rust. These are safety issues, which should be addressed before selling the vehicle. Regular maintenance has been performed on this vehicle, but existing records do not specify that recommended fluid/timing belt replacements were performed.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Oct 222015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving approximately 70 mph with the cruise control engaged, the vehicle accelerated independently without warning. In addition, the contact mentioned that the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed; however, the failure was unable to be duplicated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 138,880. Updated 02/12/16

- Long Lake, MN, USA

Mar 112015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

RPM jumped without driver increasing pedal pressure, causing sudden unintended acceleration. Dealership unable to identify issue. This is the second occurrence in the last couple months.

- Jarrettsville, MD, USA

May 112014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate at approximately 70 mph, using cruise control, the car suddenly lost power. I stepped on the gas and it would not accelerate. I coasted to a stop and pulled onto the shoulder. The engine was running, transmission was in gear, but the car would not move. I turned off the ignition and let it sit for a few minutes. I restarted it, had power, everything seemed normal, except the engine light remained lit. I drove approximately 10 miles to my destination. The car sat for six hours and I was then able to drive the 65 miles home without incident. Repair results: My Hyundai dealer indicated the problem was caused by a 'throttle position sensor'. they replaced the electronic component and reset the error codes in the vehicle's computer.

- Mount Pleasant, WI, USA

Mar 012014

Santa Fe

My 2009 Santa Fe has been accelerating during stopping (around 20-30 miles) I brought it in to dealer and they took it for a test drive acknowledging that it did in fact surge while trying to stop. They did an "update" and gave it back to me telling me if it does it again bring it back. It not only continues to do this but whatever they did made the transmission switch hard. I'm taking it back today. In my opinion this is a safety issue and something should be done about it.

- Carol Stream, IL, USA

Mar 132013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while completing a right turn, a grinding sound was emitted from the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic for diagnostic testing and was advised that the noise was coming from the transmission. The mechanic suggested taking the vehicle to the dealer. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and received confirmation that there was an issue with the transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Clayton, OH, USA

Mar 262013

Santa Fe

Upon entering the highway at 55 mph my 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe took off and the gas paddle got stuck for 15 - 20 seconds even though it felt like a life time. I stumped on brake pedal and tried to pumped the brake pedal to no avail. The RPM on my car was registered at 6-7 and the engine was very loud. I got the car to stop by placing the transmission in the neutral position. I called the nearest dealer to my home to make an appointment and they were not able to duplicate the problem. So to them there was no problem with my vehicle. To me and my two daughters this experience is a nightmare and the car is unsafe to drive. Since 2002 I bought 5 Hyundai cars (2002 sonata, 2003 Santa Fe (daughter in law drives), 2004 Santa Fe (son drives), 2004 Santa Fe (daughter drives) and my car 2009 Santa Fe. As you can see from my multiple purchases I loved driving and owning Hyundai Santa Fe's. I am very upset because we could have died! I am even more upset that Hyundai will not stand behind their products and make excuses so they will not have to make repairs. The $$$ must be worth more than peoples lives. The Hyundai dealer in North East philadelphia even had the nerve to blame me because he said not replicate the incident and it was not in the cars computer. Shame on you Hyundai, shame on you dealers. This is the last Hyundai that I will ever own, I will no longer recommend any of your cars to anyone but I will share my story with them. You lost a customer and I will join any class action suit and I will call the tv stations to report this problem. I do not think that anyone should die before you fix the problem - what about you Hyundai? peoples lives or $$$$$. I am planning on replacing the throttle position sensor and getting rid for the car. I do not want another near death experience.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 152012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway and went to accelerate around another vehicle. The gas peddle was stuck full open even after letting off the gas. I made sure it was not the carpet holding the peddle down. The engine RPM's was revving very high also as the car kept accelerating out of control. After approximately 15-20 seconds the peddle released and everything was fine. The first occurrence was Sep. 2012 and I've had a second occurrence on March 2013.

- Lakewood , CO, USA

Feb 172012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I made a right turn onto my driveway using light acceleration (12 mph) to gently overcome the upward slope as I do normally. The car responded well. As I was pulling into my garage (the last 5-7 feet), I applied light pressure the accelerator to ease into my space and the car surged. During the surge, I applied as much force as I could slamming both feet (one on top of the other) on the brake, but the car responded too late. I had collided with the garage wall. There was front-end and dry-wall damage. After reviewing some reviews for my model car on edmunds.com, I realized the uncontrollable surge is a common complaint about this model SUV, which does not seem to be addressed by the company or dealers. Therefore, I have decided to file this complaint in hopes that Hyundai will investigate this situation and figure out a way to remedy these surges and keep their customers safe.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Feb 092012

Santa Fe

My wife and I were driving out to eat at a local restaurant. We were slowing down upon entering the parking lot. There was a loud bang and we lunged forward, like someone had hit us from behind. My wife had told me this had happened to her a few other times where she thought she hit someone or they had run into her. We took the car to the dealer and they said that they could not replicate the problem so there was nothing they could do for us. We then searched the internet and found that thousands of people seem to have the same problem with these wonderful cars! we spoke with the customer service department at Hyundai and told them of our concern with the car and we did not feel safe driving the car. The woman then told my wife to trade the car if she did not feel safe. My wife said so you want me to get rid of a car and have someone else purchase the car when there is a known problem. Her reply was, "yes I think that is what you should do." It blows my mind to think that someone would rather put the lives of people in danger than to fix a problem that is widely known.

- Barnhart, MO, USA