2009 Hyundai Santa Fe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 202010

Santa Fe

Incident 1: (10-20-2010) driver side head light was fogging up constantly. Dealer replaced the head light under warranty. Incident 2: (02-22-2011) upon fill-up of the gas tank, just before it was topped off, there was a series of clunking noises. After taking it to the dealership, the gas tank was replaced. Incident 3: (05-01-2011 approx.) upon removal of the cabin air filter cover, the little plastic parts that are squeezed to remove the cover broke, which wouldn't allow the cover to go back on. The dealer replaced the part and I have not yet replaced the filter yet. Incident 4: (11-12-2011) driving 60 mph down the highway, I heard a loud banging noise coming from the engine compartment. As I was pulling over to check out the situation, the car lost power steering and air conditioning! my serpentine belt broke! after it was towed, the dealer replaced it, along with belt tensioner and idler pulley! incident 5: (07-30-2012) I was coming up to a stop light and upon deceleration, the check engine light and ESC off light came on. After coming to a complete stop, the RPM gage showed 1100 RPM and it felt like the vehicle wanted to move as if I was pressing the accelerator. When I did try to accelerate, there was no power to accelerate ( the engine was still running, etc, but when I pressed the accelerator, I could only move a few miles per hour.) I pulled over and shut the vehicle off for a few minutes. I started it back up and the check engine light remained on, and I gained acceleration power. I took the vehicle to the dealership. They determined I had a faulty throttle position sensor as well as brake light switch and both were replaced by the dealer. [current mileage on vehicle after all incidents: 48,897]

- Huntley, IL, USA

Mar 112012

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. While traveling 55 mph, the contact attempted to accelerate and noticed that the pedal had become stuck to the floorboard, causing the vehicle to accelerate uncontrollably. In order to stop the failure the contact had to place her foot under the accelerator pedal and lift the pedal off of the floor. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the failure could not be duplicated. The VIN was not available. The current and failure mileages were 20,000.

- Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Aug 312011

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Recently while driving the car seems to hesitate then has a minor acceleration. It seems as if its about to stall but catches and accelerates or increases to original speed. This is concerning especially when it occurs during rush hour traffic. In addition, I had to replace the battery at 24, 348 miles as the car died on me twice while traveling. I purchased a battery from O'rielly auto parts as it was closer to my home. The dealer would only state that battery failure has occurred with less than 30,000 miles on the sante fe however since I didn't bring my car to them the battery is not covered under warranty. It is unbelievable that battery life is this short.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Aug 232011

Santa Fe

On Monday, August 22, as I was driving down pewaukee road, I decided to get in the left lane to pass a semi truck. Suddenly I hear the car engine revving and the car's speed was accelerating. As there was a car directly in front of me and the semi truck to the right, I was pressing on the brake as hard as I possibly could. The car was hard to control and for a brief time I was in the on-coming traffic lane. All I could think of is get on a side road. The car would not react to the brakes. I turned onto a side road, aimed my car at a road sign and steel bollards on the side of the road so they could at least stop the car, threw the car in park and turned the key off (I am not sure in which order I did the last 2 steps). Fortunately the car coasted to a stop. The engine was making a winding noise. Hyundai roadside service picked up the car. Their service manager indicates they can not replicate the problem. It was suggested I had the floor matt bunched up under the gas and brake pedals. Give me a break! I'm not a complainer. This is the first time I have ever lodged a consumer complaint. But I was scared to death at the time and I am very hesitant about getting back in that car tonight (my husband is picking it up from arrow Hyundai). I am not concerned about hurting myself -- I don't think I could ever get over it if I hurt someone else because of this car. So Hyundai can't replicate the problem. Did anyone think they would be able to" the question is what is Hyundai doing about a problem that seems to be very documented on the internet. What is Hyundai going to do when a sudden acceleration problem kills someone" Hyundai did nothing for me. They initially seem very perplexed about such a problem. However, today when my husband arrived with a hand full of printed blogs all they wanted to say was they couldn't replicate the problem but would document the problem. I don't trust that they will so I am documenting the problem myself.

- Nashotah, WI, USA

Aug 092011

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I get acceleration problem in my Hyundai Santa Fe 2009., whenever my car gets slow it see car it going by it self even thou my foot in my the break. It also gives my feeling that car is stops and go something like car is jerking off. I even see lot of other people having the same problem. In March 201, my wife got in to the accident because of the acceleration problem. But, we did not realize that at that time. And, my wife told me that was the problem but we did not believe it at that time. Now, we are facing more problems. Dealers are not doing anything. They just told me that they don't see the problems. Can you guys really do something about this, before somebody gets killed or get in to the accidents. Hope you consider our genuine complain about acceleration problem complain for Hyundai Santa Fe 2009.

- Morrisville, NC, USA

Jun 052011

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact was backing into a parking space when she tried to accelerate slightly, the vehicle accelerated unexpectedly. The contact crashed into two parked vehicles before they were able to shift into neutral gear and stop the vehicle from accelerating. The contact didn't mention if there were any injuries. The vehicle was unable to be driven because of the way the wheel was turned and stuck. The vehicle was towed to a dealer and then to a body shop. The vehicle had not been inspected. The failure and current mileages were 22,000. Updated 07/21/11 updated 07/22/11

- Westfield , MA, USA

May 192011

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai sante fe. While driving 35 mph, the contact stated that he applied pressure to the accelerator pedal an the pedal remained stuck in the open throttle position. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where they performed a diagnostic test but was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was aware of the failure and the contact was awaiting a response. The current and failure mileages was approximately 22,000.

- Garner, NC, USA

May 032011

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated while driving 3 mph at a stop light there was sudden acceleration up to 60 mph. The accelerator pedal extended to the floor. The brake pedal and the emergency brake were applied at the same time and the vehicle slowed down. After fifteen minutes the vehicle was driven to the contacts residence and then towed to the dealer. The vehicle was in the dealers possession when the complaint was filed. The failure mileage was 18,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 052011

Santa Fe

This morning on my way to work, I accelerated to pass a vehicle making a left turn off the highway, and when I passed said vehicle and took my foot off the gas, it did not slow down. The pedal remained stuck to the floor and I had to force the brakes through the floor to get it to stop. It was still revving madly. I put the car in neutral and it sounded like it was going to explode it was revving so hard. I stomped on the accelerator pedal while in neutral, hard, 3 times and it popped back up and became unstuck. I am 4 months pregnant and am deathly afraid of driving this vehicle. This is the first time this has ever happened to me in this vehicle, but more testimony can be found @ townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.F1F4E72/79.

- Napa, CA, USA

Mar 052011

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I just had my 2009 Santa Fe start accelerating out of control. I was going towards a light and hit the gas hard. After speeding up, I let go of the accelerator and the car continued to accelerate. I had to hit the brakes to slow but as soon as I released the brake the acceleration continued. I went threw this process 3 times in a matter of seconds. So, I popped into neutral and the engine revved up wildly. I then braked and put it into drive. It returned to normal operation. I'm contacted the dealer right now.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Dec 182010

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving approximately 5 mph and entering a parking space, there was an unexpected increase in engine rpms as the vehicle abnormally accelerated rapidly. The contact applied the brakes immediately to avoid crashing into another vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 12,225. Updated 3/21/11 updated 04/28/11

- Naples , FL, USA

Dec 212010

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle stopped accelerating suddenly. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technicians replaced the accelerator computer module. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Dec 172010

Santa Fe

While turning the steering wheel of my SUV to pull into a parking space in a large grocery store parking lot, the SUV involuntarily accelerated forward at a great amount of speed. I applied the brake firmly, but the SUV continued to speed forward into the parking space. My fear was that there was a car immediately in front of me that was parked facing in. I assumed that the only way I was going to stop was if I crashed head on with the car opposite me. Fortunately, I had the brake almost to the floor of the SUV when it finally lurched to a stop. I then called the dealership who sent a tow truck to pick up the vehicle. It has been at the dealership since approximately 4:30 P.M. on Friday, December 17, 2010. The dealership said they would look at it today, Monday, December 20. I have yet to hear from them this morning.

- Naples, FL, USA

Nov 202010

Santa Fe

While getting onto the highway from the on ramp the car began to accelerate on its own. The gas pedal began to depress itself without me doing it. The cruise control was not engaged and the floor matt was not the cause. Braking was difficult and the engine continued to rev. I pulled off the highway and stopped the engine. After telling my family about the incident my daughter told me that it had occurred twice before in the same manner about 2 months ago.

- Kingston, PA, USA

Jun 012010

Santa Fe

Purchased 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe from herrnsteins Hyundai of chillicothe, oh. In January 2010. On two separate occasions; once in March, and once in June on 315 columbus, Ohio. The first time it over accelerated I was attempting to pass another vehicle. I accelerated to pass and then was attempting to slow back down when I heard the engine rev and felt the vehicle speed up. I do not and did not use the cruise control. The breaks only slowed the vehicle I could not get it stopped. I did manage to shift into neutral and as the engine continued to rev, I turned the vehicle off. Upon restarting it was ok. The second time I was accelerating to merge, upon completion of the merge I attempted to let off the accelerator and slow down. Again the engine revved, and I felt the vehicle speeding up. I applied breaks forcefully like before the vehicle slowed a bit but sped back up I continued to break using both feet and the vehicle slowed and was then ok. We reported this to the dealership each time it occurred. Their response was that it did not show a code. After the second event herrnsteins has shown concern and realizes their is a problem. However the hyuandi Corp. Has taken the stance with us that they do not have a problem with sua in their vehicles and that ours is safe to drive. I suppose because I did not get killed or kill someone else that I can not prove it happened.

- Piketon, OH, USA

May 292010

Santa Fe

While pulling into head-in parking space, 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe suddenly accelerated. Hit a concrete wall, causing significant radiator and fender damage (estimated total repair costs over $8000). Driver suffered scrapes and bruises on neck/chest from seatbelt/steering wheel, bruising on knee, and head pain. Child in rear booster seat suffers neck pain. Air bag did not deploy.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Apr 022010

Santa Fe

Stopped at red lite give the car gas and the engine revs up and takes off had to put it in neutral move to shoulder waited a few moments restarted car and everything was fine. Very unnerving hope it never happens again. 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe I find out that this is called sudden unintended acceleration and I am not alone with this problem..happen with only 6700 miles on SUV will be taking to dealer for 7500 mile checkup and want him to document this for my records on this SUV.

- Timonium, MD, USA

Feb 032010

Santa Fe

Unexplained acceleration between 30 and 35 mph. There was no floor mat interference and could not duplicate the error today. This was the first occurrence.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Dec 122009

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving between 75-80 mph the vehicle began to accelerate without intention. Even after repeated brake application the vehicle would not decelerate. He had to shift the vehicle into neutral to decelerate. 5 days prior to the failure the vehicle accelerated while driving between 25-35 mph in heavy traffic. There was not interference between the floor mat and the accelerator pedal. The technician have inspected the vehicle, but could not determine the cause of the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Colorado Springs , CO, USA