2009 Hyundai Santa Fe seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Sep 172016

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 83,200.

- Coweta, OK, USA

Aug 292016

Santa Fe

The passenger side air bag sensor (OCS) remains in the off position when my small stature wife (5 ft 98 lbs) rides in the passenger seat. This is a major safety concern that I would like Hyundai to correct. I read that some 2009 Santa Fe models had a recall due to this exact issue (recall campaign 105) but mine model does not seem to be included. I am not sure why but since my 2009 Santa Fe has the same problem as the recall addressed. This has been a problem since we purchased the vehicle in 2009. Our local dealership told us that there is nothing they could do. Now I see on the NHTSA website that Hyundai can update the OCS classification software. I believe Hyundai should update my vehicle's software at no charge.

- Charlton, MA, USA

Jul 102016

Santa Fe

One morning the air bag light came on. We have had the car 18 months with a new car warranty because of mileage 72,000 when we bought it. Took to dealer and it was a bad clock spring which controls the air bag. If it returns says the air bag needs to be replaced $450 and not covered under bumper bumper warranty. Car was in the garage. Did not bump anything, no accident.

- Manchester, MO, USA

Apr 252016

Santa Fe

My address is 32 sobieski St buffalo NY 14212. My name is toyuba. The problem in my car is fuel level sensor when I drive in highway my fuel gauge is goes crazy their going up then down then warning light no fuel in tank but fuel is full that the problem in my car.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Mar 022016

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai sante fe. The contact stated that the air bag light was constantly illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was not determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN and failure mileage were unknown.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 152015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while parked, the air bag warning light illuminated. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 104,000. The VIN was not available.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Oct 112015

Santa Fe

We were rearended by a large pickup truck that was travelling at a high rate of speed and the driver did not apply his brakes. We were struck while attempting and making a right turn, spun around clockwise and flipped on our top, totally demolishing our car. Our concern: The airbag system did not engage resulting in injuries requiring immediate transportation for hospitalization for the driver and passenger. The accident occurred on a paved, rural-type street with little traffic present. The driver has a broken neck, multiple injuries including a closed head concussion.

- Venice, FL, USA

Jul 162014

Santa Fe

My car has been in two accident one was yesterday when a deer jumped out in front of my car on the highway and I hit her straight on going about 55 miles per hour. The front of my car is destroyed but yet my air bags never went off. The first accident I was in was in the winter and a car plowed into me as I pulled over because I noticed she was out of control, she was coming down a large hill and was going at a high speed when she hit the drive side back door which caved in and the door was in the back seat. The back end frame of my car needed to be replaced. I was upset thinking what if one of my children was in the car with me but I was told the reason the airbags didn't go off because it wasn't a flat hit to the side of my car. Someone is going to get killed if these airbags don't go off when they should.

- Derry, NH, USA

Aug 112011

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they advised the contact that the front passenger seat needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Celina , OH, USA

Nov 082012

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the passenger side air bag light would not illuminate with the passenger seat occupied. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was not diagnosed for the failure. The technician advised the contact that the sensor for the passenger side air bag could have needed replacement but a diagnostic test was required. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 12V354000 (air bags:frontal:sensor/control module). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000 and the current mileage was 68,900.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 072012

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the air bag light illuminated upon starting the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the front passenger air bag sensors failed. The contact was informed that the air bags and seat belt may not function in the event of crash. The vehicle was not repaired. The air bag light remained illuminated. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Oakdale, CT, USA

Sep 302009

Santa Fe

The passenger airbag of a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe disengages when a person weighing 106 pounds places their arms on the arm rests. The passenger airbags also disengage when the person sit with their feet flat on the floor boards, but their knees rise above the seat. The person has to stretch their legs out so that they lay across the entire bottom portion of the seat. We reported this problem numerous times to our local Hyundai dealership (where we purchased the car new). They were unapologetically and said that this was an engineering flaw that they could not fix.

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA

May 302010

Santa Fe 6-cyl

On May 2010 the air bag warning indicator light on my dashboard suddenly illuminated and would not go out even when the vehicle was in operation. Got an appointment and took my 2009 santafe limited AWD V6 into the dealer and here's the narrative from the dealer: "customer states his air bag light is on present code B1334 F15 front impact sensor error in history cleared code verified to be ok" there were no repairs completed, only the error code was cleared. About 3 weeks after the code was cleared the air bag warning light began to illuminate again during driving and would stay on for about 20 seconds at a time, while driving, and then go off. This occurred on two occasions. Today, August 3, 2010 the air bag warning light illuminated again, while driving, and did not go off. It remains on. I will be returning back to the dealer.

- Burlington, NJ, USA