CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe has a problem with the engine stalling while driving. Both our data & the NHTSA's complaint data show a significant defect trend at low mileage.

In a 2-page letter to owners in August 2014, Hyundai claims the engine stalling only occurs under a "specific set of operating conditions".

However a class action lawsuit filed around the same time details multiple claims from Sante Fe owners that claim the engine stalling happens at any time, under any conditions.

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Sep 212014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

On two separate occasions, my 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe stalled, for no apparent reason, causing loss of steering, wheel control, and brakes. On the first occasion, I was driving through a mall parking lot. While making a left turn and attempting to drive down a row of parking spots, my car stalled and I was unable to turn the steering wheel, brake or guide the vehicle. On the second occasion, I was turning left down the street to my home. Again, without warning, the car stalled, various light eliminated on the dash, and I lost complete control of the vehicle. I had no advanced warning and the car otherwise seemed to be running normally.

- Brea, CA, USA

Oct 252010

Santa Fe 4-cyl

Driver was pulling into a parking space when Santa Fe suddenly surged or lunged forward and to the right causing car to jump over a concrete bumper and into another car parked at a 90-degree angle. After the accident investigation was cleared driver proceeded to the local dealership. Enroute the Santa Fe would not shift out of low gear. Dealer claimed the events could not be duplicated.

- Montgomery, AL, USA