Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe has a problem with the engine stalling while driving. Both our data & the NHTSA's complaint data show a significant defect trend at low mileage.

In a 2-page letter to owners in August 2014, Hyundai claims the engine stalling only occurs under a "specific set of operating conditions".

However a class action lawsuit filed around the same time details multiple claims from Sante Fe owners that claim the engine stalling happens at any time, under any conditions.

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Sep 052016

Santa Fe

As early as last summer, my 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe started to (intermittently) accelerate when I stepped on the brake. Frankly, I thought it was related to the sandals I was wearing. I thought I was occasionally stepping on the gas and the brake at the same time (I have very big feet -- size fifteen). The problem stopped when I switched shoes (which also corresponded to the end of summer). The problem came back intermittently this summer and is now repeatable. When I am going down a steep hill at speeds over about 20 mph, the engine RPM's increase when I step on the brake. It does that while in gear and while in neutral. Obviously, if the drive train is in gear, the engine "fights against" the brake; if the drive train is in neutral, the engine revs. If the engine is in neutral or is shifted into neutral after the acceleration starts, the engine races until I let off the brake. It has gone as high as 4-5 K RPM before I let off the brake. All that's required to get the car to return to normal idle is that I pump the brake (let off the brake all the way -- I can immediately re-apply the brake and the problem won't happen again). I have identified a stretch of road near my house where the problem always occurs. Driving East at the end of walnut street at the intersection of walnut and boston hill circle, near South street in shrewsbury, MA 01545, it problems always replicates. It also always happens at the bend in the road while going down hill on boston hill circle.

- Shrewsbury, MA, USA

Aug 172012

Santa Fe

Engine would intermittently run rough, sputter and choke while driving.

- Somerville, MA, USA