2017 Hyundai Santa Fe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Sep 062016

Santa Fe

We bought a 2017 Santa Fe sport with the 2.0 T engine in July of 2017. It has about 5,000 miles on it and has now started to hesitate badly when trying to accelerate when turning. It seems as though it either loses power or the transmission is not in the correct gear. The result is a very dangerous situation when try to turn onto a road with traffic. We are going to call the dealership were we purchased the car to see if there is any fix. I see from other complaints this is turning out to be a common issue.

- Boyds, MD, USA

Aug 102016

Santa Fe

Engine stalls at any speeds while driving. Tech at dealership could not find the problem. Dealership stated they never had a problem like this before. The engine is a 2.0T which was subject to recalls for the same problem. Hyundai currently settling class action suit for Hyundai sonatas with the same problem in model years 2011-2014 2.0T engines. Speeds when occurring 40-65 mph. Eleven incidents so far since purchasing the vehicle 4/8/2016.

- Abingdon, MD, USA

May 282016

Santa Fe

Sometimes after slowing to make a turn the car's engine seems to "stumble" for a second before acceleration can begin. Comes as a surprise and because of the hesitation catching me off-guard I am pitched forward in my seat. Nothing catastrophic, but very annoying and could be dangerous to a driver not knowledgeable about this problem. This is a brand new car and I noticed this problem after only a day or two of ownership. I suspect this is a software issue and can be fixed with a reflash of the ECU, but that's just my best guess. Have not contacted the dealership yet, but thought I'd file this complaint first to see if a recall can be issued to fix this problem.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jul 012016

Santa Fe

From stop, or near stop, engine cuts out (stumbles) during normal acceleration.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 022016

Santa Fe

I bought the vehicle on 5/7/16. On 6/2/16 I was driving on highway 395 when I noticed smoke coming out of the engine compartment. The car started losing power and eventually died. When I got it pulled over to the side of the road I noticed flames coming out from the front of the engine. I grabbed what I could and got out of the car. Within 5 min the front of the car was engulfed in flames. I had approximately 675 miles on it. I have contacted Hyundai but they have not responded to me. I ordered a copy of the police report but have not received it yet. I have pictures that I have attached. I am concerned about this happening to other people. Thankfully I didn't have grandkids in the car, I'm not sure I would have been able to get them out.

- Reno, NV, USA