2017 Hyundai Santa Fe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Sep 152016

Santa Fe

While driving our 2017 hyndai Santa Fe on interstate 64 with the cruise control set at 65 mph the transmission will down shift to 5th and then 4th and then 3rd gear with the RPM almost red lining. This is while going down a slight downgrade. I've been having to use the manual mode to shift back up to 6th gear. We contacted the local Hyundai dealer who stated they were aware of the problem but did not have a solution to the problem at this time. I am worried about the safety of this vehicle with this problem.

- Somerset, KY, USA

Jul 082016

Santa Fe

Brand new vehicle (1600 miles) hesitates when I go from a complete stop and start to accelerate at low speeds. Mainly notice it when taking a corner. It seems as if it has trouble selecting the gear and once it does, it lurches forward. Dangerous when pulling out into traffic as the hesitation puts you in the middle of the road just a little too long for comfort. Also, my traction control light will come on around certain corners and leaves me without control of the car. Also another safety issue as again the car hesitates or locks up because of this feature and doesn't allow me to drive forward as I wish. It's the middle of the summer without any rain and definitely no snow on the ground (I'd say perfect road conditions) so no real reason why my traction control should be turning on around corners. Very concerned about this issue! also, I should note that these issues have been happening long before 1600 miles. I noticed them the first week or so that I took the vehicle home so definitely less than 500 miles as I bought it new. For a brand new, fairly expensive vehicle I shouldn't have to feel like my confidence in it's basic performance is compromised.

- Turners Falls, MA, USA

Apr 152016

Santa Fe

On April 15, our brand new Santa Fe was involved in an accident. While driving in low speed traffic suddenly, while my fiance rear ended someone. To this day she cannot figure out what happened. She is a careful driver, does not speed and knows that the area were she was driving is high traffic and was coming up to a red light. Both of her hands were on the wheel and she wasn't on a phone or anything. She believes she hit the breaks, and as stated before still does not know what happened. After reading these complaints we are wondering if we had the same issue as someone else who reported and is the cause of the accident. We figured we would report this. We are also wondering if other people are having similar accidents since there has been a major issue getting parts to repair said car (car has now been off the road for 11 weeks most parts required for repair have been externally backordered and Hyundai has been extremely unhelpful to help us get our car repaired)

- Saddle Brook, NJ, USA

Jun 202016

Santa Fe

When depressing the accelerator at speeds less than about 10mph, the vehicle has a very significant hesitation - about 2 seconds when the vehicle is completely non-responsive. Happens every time at low speed turns, and is dangerous with vehicles behind.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Jun 102016

Santa Fe

The car appears to hesitate upon acceleration from a low speed, most noticeably coming out of turns. The hesitation is random and jerks the car forward and back. I took in for service and they say no fix is available. Dealer said it was not a safety issue but a satisfaction issue. That is a false statement, as it is indeed a huge safety issue. Others have indicated a similar problem as well in the Santa Fe online forums (

- Indianapolis, IN, USA