1.9

2002 Hyundai Sonata suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Hyundai Sonata:

2002 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Jan 282009

Sonata

My wife owns a 2002 Hyundai Sonata, and last week she noticed that the car was pulling hard to the right. She drives 60 miles round trip to her job 5 days a week. Once she told me about it, I took it in for service thinking it was in need of a wheel alignment. My technicians called me back to the service area and showed me where the sub frame had rusted completely through on the right front side. Also the right front wheel as tilted to the side slightly. I told them to begin repairs immediately, as my wife's safety is my top priority. I called Hyundai on 2/3/09 and informed them of the problem. I was given a case number, and told that they would contact me in 3 to 4 business days. I expect full reimbursement, as I now understand that this a common problem on this particular vehicle.

- Joliet,, IL, USA

Dec 012007

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Hyundai Sonata. The contact took the vehicle to the repair shop because the steering became difficult to control while driving 20 mph. The mechanic stated that the failure was in the passenger side front subframes. There was a large hole that rusted all the way through the frames, which prevented the vehicle from being driven. After researching the issue, the contact found numerous complaints for the same defect and believes it should be recalled. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 100,000 and current mileage was 106,000. Updated 01/07/09. The sway bar ends links and bushings were worn. Uupdated 01/09/09.

- Acton, MA, USA

Apr 012002

Sonata

Vehicle has problems with front vibration. The vehicle veered left and the consumer lost control of steering. The cause was found to be broken U-bolt. The vehicle began to vibrate from front end while the consumer was driving and the cause was determined to be front left axle failure, which was replaced. Brakes constantly squeak and pulsate, but the dealer could not duplicate the problem.

- Worcester, MA, USA