2006 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 7 of 16)

Nov 152008

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V161000 (air bags). The vehicle was taken to the dealer for the recall repairs however, after the repair the air bag warning light illuminated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 36,000.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 302011

Sonata 6-cyl

The dummy airbag light in my 2006 Sonata has been on for a few years. The last time I brought it in to service, in July 2012- I was told that my passenger seat may need to be sent out, but that I would also need 2 new seat belts. I was told the air bags wouldn't deploy if I was in an accident.the mechanic was able to turn the dummy light off but only for a day or two. This November 2013, the seat was sent out to ca under a recall notice I was sent by Hyundai, and I paid to have my seat belts replaced, but I feel the whole thing is related and should have been a recall. Everyone I have spoken to about it feels the same way. The seat belt replacement cost $350 per seat excluding tax. Hyundai has known of this problem (through my dealer) since July 2012 and the problem had been ongoing for months prior to me taking it in for servicing, not realizing it was a dangerous situation. I missed the 5 year 60K warranty probably by 10K miles or less. I would like to know how many other Sonata owners have had to replace their seat belts and whether or not we should be suing Hyundai to have them cover this "repair". I could get no statistics from Hyundai when I called them regarding how many people have complained about this problem. The explanation provided to me is that they are separate problems, not inter-related and that the seat belt issue is an electrical issue and the service center was given a code to diagnose the issue.

- Norwich, CT, USA

Oct 292013

Sonata 6-cyl

2006 Hyundai Sonata. Consumer writes in regards to air bag recall notice. The consumer would like to know, why the diagnosis was not covered under the recall. The OCS test resulted in a pass/compliant, but the passenger seat belt buckle pre-tensioner didn't pass.

- Shelbyville, IN, USA

Jul 112012

Sonata 4-cyl

Back when I purchased this 2006 Sonata I went back in airbag light was on the car was in less than ten minutes dealer said all set and I went in to a local garage for inspection but the car legally shouldn't pass inspection due to said airbag issue and the gentleman put it through but said airbags will not deploy due to the fuse was pulled put one in been on since and it is all over Hyundai forum same problem/2 my front suspension is rattling bad and come to find out same thing on Hyundai forum they always don't know what this noise is/3 my check engine light on code search says evap leak but need 2 say yes its not fuel cap this is a known Sonata problem fuel tank is plastic and there is a part in top that is metal rust out and causes fuel tank to crack this part alone is 1500 plus labor these cars are lemons will not buy another one this is all in 2 yrs of owning not counting there was a recall I just had done but never got notice on any prior to his I want to see all that were supposedly done thanks very dis satisfied customer.

- Coventry, RI, USA

Nov 182010

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 3/31/14 the dealer informed the consumer, the air bag light was not a safety factor. In 2013 he received a recall notice, regarding a defect with the air bag. However, the dealer stated it was not recalled. Updated 04/2/41/4

- Jacobsburg, OH, USA

Jul 072006

Sonata 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated while starting the vehicle the air bag warning indicator illuminated continuously with an occupant in the front seat. The failure recurred while driving. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer numerous times. The passengers seat cushion which housed the OCS unit was replaced and also recalibrated. The failure persisted after the repair was performed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 185. Updated 01/07/14

- Laguna Woods, CA, USA

Oct 302013

Sonata 6-cyl

I called to bring my car in (Saturday) to glendale Hyundai for a recall but nobody pickled up so I left a message. After nobody called after a many hours later I called back. I was told to drop in on a weekday. On Monday the employee and manager did not fix my car because I refused to pay for a diagnostic fee. A recall in my opinion should be free. I called customer service that day and was given a case number. I made an appointment for 4:45 pm with Hyundai customer service to go to the glendale Hyundai. On my arrival the employee refused to check my car because he said they don't fix cars at 4:45. I arrived early, about thirty minutes early, but he said it was too late. The Hyundai customer service has a history of making appointments that don't match up with the Hyundai dealer hours. I called customer service to make an appointment and they told me there should be no diagnosis fee. When the appointment was made they took back their claim. They said I must pay a diagnosis fee for a recall. My car is a salvage title car in good condition but has the air bag light on. I have no choice but to not fix a recall for the car. I don't feel it is correct to pay a diagnosis fee for a recall incident. I will no longer be shopping for Hyundai or Kia products in the future. They wasted my time and want to charge me for a recall.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Oct 302013

Sonata 6-cyl

"air bag" light stays illuminated at all times. Received recall notice for the OCS on 10/29/13, called dealership, they said it would cost me to have it checked out. I thought that was the whole purpose of a recall notice. There is a problem and should be fixed at no charge to customer.

- Sapulpa, OK, USA

Oct 242013

Sonata 6-cyl

While driving on a busy street it felt like my gas pedal was not responding then without warning it suddenly lurched forward enough to screech my front tires. I do not have a floor mat on the driver's side. Thank god no one was in front of me, surely there would have been an accident. I have also had the air bag light on since the car was new. During Hyundai new car service one of the service men noticed and mentioned it, but did nothing to correct the problem and today I got a recall on the air bag system stating I missed the 1st recall. My front passenger seat belt light goes on and off sometimes it is on when someone is in the seat buckled up and sometimes it is on when no one is sitting in the seat. I am taking my car in to Hyundai for the recall I am going to mention the lurching and let them know about all these complaints! I believe they are ultimately responsible for these problems!!

- Reno, NV, USA

Dec 072012

Sonata 6-cyl

My air bag light stays on all the time. In a crash my air bag may not deploy, this is a safety issue. Looking into the computer I'm not the only one with this problem. This should be a recall matter.

- Burgettstown, PA, USA

Oct 172012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed however, the contact was not aware of the exact repairs needed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Oct 162012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated the air bag warning light illuminated. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Sikeston, MO, USA

Aug 272013

Sonata 6-cyl

Re: ocssettlement.Hyundai.com dear representative: My car make and model is involved in the Hyundai airbag class action suit. I took my car so that the dealer could do the recalibrating to the seat on 8/27/2013. They told me before they sent it to California for the recalibrating to be done to the seat. The service advisor told me that due to an accident the impact jars the seat connection and causes codes and that the light will still illuminate when it came back and it is. He said I have to pay some $600 to get something repaired and the attorney advised against me paying that is not my fault. The attorney for the class action already told me Hyundai is coming up with all kinds of reasons; even the inspector they sent seemed biased for the company. The attorney also stated that the car is under recall and if the light is on whatever they say doesn't matter that they have to offer me something under the settlement and they are not. The case involves the air bag lights being illuminated indicating that there is something is wrong with the system. Since the light remains illuminated and the system is not functioning properly, I and whoever rides with me are in danger because the air bag will not deploy. Hyundai will not repair without me paying. I should not pay. I have not had an impact. I got a letter from Hyundai today stating I should keep this letter in my vehicle and they listed that this contact should be written if I am unsatisfied. I am not satisfied and feel I am not getting the offer options in which I am entitled. Please inform me how I should proceed if better business bureau does not comply. I call the attorney over the class action and they inform I should be persistent and I have. But with Hyundai over the inspections, etc., I feel this will not come out fair. Please inform what I need to do. Thank you.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Oct 102013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact received NHTSA campaign recall number 08V161000 (air bag). The dealer and the manufacturer informed the contact the recall closed on September 20th. The air bag light was illuminated and could malfunction during a crash. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Dardene Praire, MO, USA

Oct 222011

Sonata

A part on the driver's side seatbelt buckle has failed once per year for the last three years. The failure of this part causes the airbag light to go on, rendering the airbag ineffective in the event of a crash. We have taken the car in as soon as this happens, but are concerned about the frequency of the failures. We also don't understand why this repair was covered twice, but not the third time since this is clearly a problem with this same part and the time period in between part failures was almost identical.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

May 292007

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the passenger's side front air bag indicator light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer numerous times for the failure. The driver's side seat belt buckle and the front passenger's side air bag sensor was replaced. In addition, front passenger's seat sensor was reprogrammed under NHTSA campaign number 08V161000 (air bags); however the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not fully repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000 and the current mileage was 100,000. Updated 10/24/13

- Westerville , OH, USA

Aug 252013

Sonata 6-cyl

I turned the car on and the dashboard lights indicated all affected parts listed above went on. Drove the car for 3 miles and shut it off for 2 hours. Turned the car back on and had the same problem. I've read many owners with the same issue, but haven't seen a resolution this problem. This is a very serious issues god forbid the air bags don't eject in a accident. What do I do??

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Jul 012013

Sonata 4-cyl

2006 Hyundai Sonata. Consumer writes in regards to a class action suit of the passenger seat " OCS" issue. The consumer stated he has been attempting to get the passenger seat fixed for years. The consumer stated the occupant classification system (OCS) failed to identify when someone was sitting in the front passenger seat. As a result, the air bag system was disabled.

- Northbridge, MA, USA

Jun 172013

Sonata

The air bag light on our 2006 Sonata started intermittently going on and off several years after we purchased the vehicle. We brought this to the attention of the dealer at our regular service. They claimed they could not get the light to come on. At a later date the light came on permanently while driving. I brought this to the attention of the dealer in 2010, who charged me $100 inspection fee. He concluded that the light was on as a result of a seat malfunction but told us not to worry about the light. In June 2013, we were on a trip to the East coast and needed axle work (which was covered by warranty at 85,000 miles) and I again asked that dealer to check the seat belt light. He indicated that the problem was with some bolts in the seat belt restraints and that my air bags were not functional as long as the light was on. Even though I purchased the extended dealer warrant for this vehicle, I was again charged for the inspection and neither the manufacturer or warranty company will step up to cover this repair. This leads me to believe that this is a much more widespread safety problem than it appears and that both the manufacturer and trade knows this life threatening flaw exists. I am appalled by the frequency of airbag complaints that have been lodged and that the dealer would allow us to drive for years without the benefit of these safety features.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jul 062013

Sonata 6-cyl

The air bag light came on for no reason, the car has never been in an accident. I only have 38000 miles on the car.

- N Ft Myers, FL, USA