2006 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 8 of 16)

May 292013

Sonata 4-cyl

Dash air bag light came on and stays on. This is a very common complaint concerning the 2006 Sonata (see safercar.gov database). In my case, the dealer says the passenger seat needs replacing at a cost of over $2000. I note in the above data base that there seems to be a wide variety of causes for air bag failure. These problems occur so often in the 2006 Sonata, and create such a dangerous situation that NHTSA should require Hyundai to do a recall and fix these air bag problems for good. I just wonder how many people have been injured or killed because of these defective air bags.

- Clarksville, AR, USA

Dec 012010

Sonata

About 2-3 years ago, the air bag warning light on the console began to illuminate and turn off intermittently without apparent cause or pattern, until it reached a point of staying on all the time. To me, this indicates an electrical problem. I have not had this problem diagnosed specifically, although at one point, my mechanic mentioned off hand that I had a broken seat belt, but, after I looked them over myself, all seat belts functioned perfectly fine, so I did not replace any of them. This may be the cause of the warning light, however, research has shown that this warning light may be on for any number of reasons, and most cases involve expensive and unreliable repairs, and the problem re-occurs without reason. Because of this, I have elected not to pay to have it "fixed." It has not been a problem until this year, when my car only barely passed inspection (prior inspectors have apparently never had a problem with it). Reading further, I am even less inclined to fix it - spending $1500 on a repair that has reports of re-occurrence on a 7-year-old vehicle seems silly. However, I'm lodging the complaint here anyway. I have not attempted to get a dealership or manufacturer to diagnose or fix the problem.

- Norton, MA, USA

May 012013

Sonata 6-cyl

There is an airbag light on in my 2006 Hyundai Sonata. My mother and stepfather are having the same issue with their 2007 Hyundai Sonata. They received a pamphlet regarding a class action lawsuit against Hyundai that their 2007 Hyundai Sonata qualified for a "free" recalibration to "reset" the airbag light. They called their local dealer, and got the car in. They said that the airbag light was on due to a faulty seatbelt, and they would have to remove the entire seat, send it to California and it would cost me $300. I think this is absolutely ridiculous. I also see where there are several complaints online of the very same issue my car is having. Something needs to be done about this, and not a the customer's expense either. Obviously it is an issue Hyundai should be taking care of.

- Saint Marys, OH, USA

Nov 102012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the front driver's side seat belt buckle would need to be replaced. The buckle was replaced four years prior to the recent failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The failure and current mileage was 101,000.

- Wittmann, AZ, USA

Nov 292011

Sonata 6-cyl

On November of 2011, the "airbag" light in my Sonata came on and stayed on. Upon investigation by the Hyundai dealership, I was told that it was a problem with my seat belt. I had it repaired at a cost of $325.79. At that time I made a formal complaint to you. NHTSA id number: 10436650 now I have the same problem again! my airbag light came on the week of 4/7/13 (odometer 112,660) and again I have been told it is the seat belt. Again it will cost upwards of $300. And this is just 19,250 miles since I had it repaired it seems to me that this is an indication of either a defective part or a defective design. I have been told that the airbag will not work when the airbag light is on so I see this as a critical defect that needs to be investigated by the NHTSA. If a vehicle's airbags shut down every 20,000 miles or so, in my opinion the vehicle is a danger to consumers. Judging from a cursory search on the internet, I see that there are many other Hyundai Sonatas with the same issue. Please investigate.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Jan 102013

Sonata 6-cyl

91 year old was driving and hit by another car. The car drove him into a tree. The air bag went off and produced sufficient internal injuries that he died. The air bag went off too hard. If there were no air bag, he would have lived.

- Berkeley, CA, USA

May 082012

Sonata 4-cyl

2/25/2013:air bag light went on driver's side. Took car into dealership they had to replace pretensioner caused by B1706 pass resistance too high buckler pretensioner. They charged us $316.19 I am concerned about the safety of this car as we had an issue on the passenger side on 5/8/2012 air bag light was on. Found codes B1448 passenger weight sensor defect/fault traced and found seat bottom faulty. There was no charge for this they said as it was under warranty. Since there is a class action suit regarding the 5/2012 issue I feel this car is not safe.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Apr 102012

Sonata 6-cyl

While turning corners the engine shuts down and unable to turn steering wheel. Restart car and it works again. Has happened numerous times. Airbag light has been on continuously. Brake lights replaced freq. Cruise control no longer works. ESC light comes on intermittently. Had to use shift lock release numerous times for 2 days at a time. I am unable to put the car into reverse or park and I have to use the shift lock release to move the gears. Heat and air conditioner stop working a few seconds at a time. Engine light comes on for a few days at a time. If I hit the brakes hard the ESC light will come on and do not go off for days. Cigarette lighters replaced and one still will not work. Head lights dim intermittently. I have brought back to dealership many times and have spent hundreds of dollars and time off work and problems return quickly.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Dec 102012

Sonata 6-cyl

The airbag light remains on: Code B1706. The passenger seat belt buckle tensioner failed and now the airbags will not work. Dealer cost is $400 to diagnose and fix with no guarantee.

- Lynden, WA, USA

Aug 032011

Sonata 4-cyl

Passenger right side airbag warning light is intermittently on. Diagnosis was "passenger side pre tensioner" since this time the problem has not been solved. The seat itself was replaced, but the problem still remains in December 2012. Service says that the occupant weight less than 110 may cause the warning, but the December 2012 diagnosis used 3 different people (100,120, and 170 pounds) and found no problem. When the light is on, there is no assurance that the airbag will function in a crash.after the December 28 check the warning light has not come on but only one short drive from dealer.

- College Station , TX, USA

Apr 022012

Sonata 4-cyl

My airbag light has been on for approximately 8 months. I had it to the dealer and they said it was a loose connection. They "re-connected" and the light went off. Now it has been back on for about 2 months. Also I have a hard time connecting my driver seat belt, one time I had to drive without it at all since I could not get it to snap in at all. Also the passenger seat belt display light flashes even when there is no one sitting in the seat. I called and apparently I am not a part of the recall for the airbag. My sister has the same car, same year and has the same issues. I find this hard to believe that this is an isolated problem.

- Hinckley , OH, USA

Jun 232008

Sonata 4-cyl

Upon starting the vehicle, the dashboard "check airbag" light was constantly illuminated. Took vehicle to the dealer (23jul08) where they diagnosed code B1701 and replaced the front drivers seat belt buckle assembly. At 43,340 miles (03feb09) I needed the passenger seat belt buckle assembly (B1706 code) replaced. At 57,106 miles (06nov09) I needed the drivers seat belt buckle replaced (code not documented by dealer). Now (19dec12) the "check airbag" light is lit again (103,121) and the codes B1701 ad B1706 both show up. Most likely replace both driver and passenger seat belt buckle assembly. An unbelievable number of seat belt buckle replacements in the life of this vehicle. Since seat belt issues like this illuminate the "check airbag" indicator light, I have to believe this is a safety factor related problem.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Dec 112012

Sonata 4-cyl

Air bag light on the dash board will not go out it illuminates and goes out and stays on now.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 142007

Sonata 6-cyl

My airbag light comes on, it was fixed at the dealership in May 2007, it repeatedly goes on and off. The dealership has informed me that it is no longer covered under warranty. The airbag light prevents me from obtaining an inspection sticker from the state without a large expense.

- Cranston, RI, USA

Dec 102011

Sonata 6-cyl

I was involved in an accident and noticed that the air bags never deployed. I noticed that the passenger air bag sensor light kept flashing and now it never comes on. Now my air bag sensor light in the dash came on so I took it in to have it looked at and the mechanic told me that there was a recall by Hyundai to repair the issue. I called the dealer to see if they were aware of the recall and they told me that not all of the cars were recalled for this issue. So now my air bags have been deactivated because of the bad sensor and is not safe to be driving. I'm looking to get this issue covered by a Hyundai dealer.

- Troy, MI, USA

Nov 112012

Sonata 4-cyl

On or around 11nov12, the air bag warning light for the passenger seat became illuminated on my 2006 Hyundai Sonata. My local mechanic says the code represents a problem with the air bag sensor in that seat, and a recall was issued in 2008 for this problem. However, Hyundai claims that my vehicle is not covered by the recall despite its falling within the model years. The cost to repair could be in excess of $1,000us, and Hyundai will not cover this under the aforementioned recall notice. From reading online, this appears to be a prevalent issue with this model, and I submit that a new recall ought to be considered or the existing one ought to be expanded.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Oct 252012

Sonata 4-cyl

Driver's airbag light on dash stayed on, and the pass airbag light goes on and off at varying times (w/pass in seat). In 2010, in the summer (?) the dealer replaced a brake light switch under recall. The car most likely had under 80,000 miles on it. At that time I told the dealer's (van horn Hyundai of fond du lac, wi) service person about the pass airbag light and I was told there was no warranty on it. When the pass light would come on I would stop the car and turn the ignition key to the off position. After restarting the car the light would usually stay off.

- Berlin, WI, USA

Mar 012010

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while traveling at an unknown speed the air bag light illuminated. The vehicle was able to be driven to the contact's destination. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was confirmed that the passenger side air bag sensor had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was unavailable.

- Hudson, OH, USA

Sep 272012

Sonata

The air bag light on dashboard stayed on while driving. The front passenger seat belt light blinked on and off. The only way to make it stop was to fasten the passenger side seat belt. I took the car to dealership and was told that the OCS (occupant classification system) sensor in front passenger seat had "burnt" itself out. Failure to replace sensor would cause airbags to fail. Did some investigating and found that a recall had been issued for this sensor back in 2008. The dealership informed me that my car was "not" part of the recall. My VIN number was not "on the list". same make, same model--not part of recall"??? the repair cost $1000 for a new seat. How many other owners of Hyundai vehicles are "not" part of recalls"

- Windsor Locks, CT, USA

Sep 132012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated constantly (code B1706). The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised the contact that there was a recall for the failure under NHTSA campaign id number: 08V161000 (air bags). The contact was advised however that her vehicle was not included in the recall campaign. The dealer advised that they could repair the failure at the contact's expense. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 137,000.

- Castro Valley, CA, USA