2006 Hyundai Sonata suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 122015

Vehicle front suspension makes sound when we drive on uneven roads, bumps. Checked with couple clinics, all says design fault. I have this sound for 2+ years and I am worried. Front both tires suspension makes this sound.

- Prospect Heights, IL, USA

May 012016

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. While braking, the vehicle veered right or left and a scrubbing noise was present. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the front suspension arm was faulty. Also, while driving, various speeds, the vehicle suddenly shut off and the front driver side air bag sensor light illuminated. The cause of the failure was undetermined and the manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 157,000.

- Albany, GA, USA

Jan 302016

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. While making a left turn at 20 mph, an abnormal sound emitted from the vehicle and the check engine and ESC warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the front and rear control arms needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,348.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 262016

Clunking, trunking and squeaking noise from front side side when going over bumps or turning.complained to dealer in 2008 and 2011.they test test drove and said it is normal or can not reproduce the 2016 they are saying it need replacement of front upper and lower control arms costing around $2000. I see from discussion forums this is a common problem with this vehicle. Dealer and manufacturer may be avoiding to address when vehicle is under warranty.

- Plainsboro, NJ, USA

Dec 012015

Air bag light in instrument panel remains on at all times. ESC indicator turns off at random times while driving. Rear suspension knocks when fuel tank is low (I.e. near empty).

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 102012

I own a 2006 Hyundai Sonata, at 100,000 (hwy miles) the front upper control arms became squeeky and detatched from the rubber bushings, making a horrible ride and clunking sound when I would put the car into gear. This problem makes the car bouncy and unstable. There is also a knocking or loud clicking sound in the engine at crusing speeds, when I barley push the gas pedal. It sounds like the air intake control valve. It goes away when I accelerate. The radio and cruise control electornics seem to work only when they want too!

- Placerville, CA, USA

Jun 192015

My car currently has 83000 miles and already has bad upper control arm in the front. I should not be having this issue this early and it began when I had less mileage than 83000. I hear squeaks when going on cracked pavement.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 042014

Sonata 6-cyl

2006 Hyundai Sonata. Consumer writes in regards to replacement of drive belt issues. The consumer stated there were no issues with the vehicle, prior to the drive belts being replaced. A few weeks after the belts were replaced, the vehicle was not performing well when driven. There was hardness on the accelerator pedal, there was a slight, faint chirping, faint grinding sound when the A/C was turned on. The manager informed the consumer, the noise was coming from the A/C/panel and maybe a loose flap. However, the noise continued. The vehicle was returned to the mechanic, who inspected the vehicle and discovered the belt that was installed was not the correct one for the vehicle. However, after the original belt was installed the noise was still present, but not as loud. Also, the struts were replaced due to hearing a noise when going over bumps.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 252015

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at 15 mph, the ABS indicator illuminated. The contact maneuvered the vehicle to the side of the road where it was discovered that the rear driver side tire was outwards. The contact stated that the tire was able to be adjusted back into place, but was not safe to drive. The vehicle was towed back to the contacts residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 13V354000 (suspension); however, the failure recurred. The contact stated that the dealer did not repair the cross member assembly and only sprayed the cross member with a coating. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 220,000.

- Jacobsburg, OH, USA

Aug 172015

On 17 August 2015, I was driving my 2006 Hyundai Sonata at 75 mph in the left lane of I-64 near nitro, wv. As I passed a tractor trailer while entering a slight curve to the left, without warning my car violently fishtailed causing the rear end of my car to momentarily go under the tractor trailer while my front end was headed toward a four foot high concrete median. By the grace of god I was able to steer out of the situation without hitting either the truck or the wall. Corrosion of the steel cross member in the rear end caused the left rear control arm to detach suddenly. I had the vehicle towed to the local Hyundai dealer where I had previous routine maintenance and recall work performed. Later that evening I researched the NHTSA site for recalls on my vehicle and found the following notice which I had not received: Report receipt date: Aug 12, 2013 NHTSA campaign number: 13V354000 component(s): Suspension when I questioned the service personnel as to why I did not receive the notice, their records showed my vehicle as registered to the original owner. I purchased the vehicle in 2007. There appears to be gross negligence on the part of both the dealer and Hyundai in not informing me of this recall. As stated above, the dealer had performed recall work on my vehicle while it was in their shop for routine maintenance over the past 3.5 years.

- Hurricane, WV, USA

Mar 142014

Problems with right control arm and from strut mounts. Thump noise when bumps are there. Initially, the dealer said everything looks fine. I asked them to check thoroughly and they said that problem with right front lower control arm. The dealer reported that it cost around $1220 to repair. I am concerned about the safety me and my family. A similar recall has been done (number 113). It is too expensive to hear with no fault of ours. The Hyundai need to take care of it. It still makes a noise under hood.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Jan 152014

Car has started making clunking sound from rear end of car. Took to an auto mechanic replaced struts wheel bearings has spent hours on trying to find noise, even to the point of riding in the trunk for 15 blocks.very concerned this could lead to something bad.

- Blueeye, MO, USA

May 212014

Sonata 4-cyl

At 110,615 mileage on car had installed link assy fr stabilizer, bush-stabilizer, link assy-fr stabilizer, joint assy-cv LH and washer-inr also replaced: Lf cv axle shaft and swaybar linkages and bushings. Above was due to clunk type noise front when turning both direction:they found swaybars bushings worn and swaybar linkages had excessive play causing knocking type noise. They also mentioned something was rusted? not sure, as they did not note that verbal comment on service report. Since I had this car brought in at 99,000 miles for a complete warranty check and was told all was good and I have had all my maintenance done at the dealership repairs were a onetime goodwill repair. Now my car is brought back in at 111,000 due to a clunking, knocking in the back! seems to happen when at 20-30mph and breaking. Car has been with the dealer since May 21, 2014 today is May 26, 2014 and they still do not know what is wrong.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

May 142014

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that he was notified while NHTSA recall campaign number 13V354000 (suspension ) repair was being performed that the front engine support had deteriorated. The dealer also stated that the front engine support needed to be replaced in order to repair the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 86,586.

- Rexford, NY, USA

May 042010

Sonata 4-cyl

Had to replace front tie rods and bottom plate holding right front strut. Part failed again and replaced the plate and strut a year later. Still, problem of rough ride on any bump, crack or rut in the street occurs. Appears that front suspension is non-existent except on smooth streets and freeway. Hate driving this car. Only has 68,000 miles on it now.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Sep 202013

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V354000 (suspension) the contact stated she was concerned to drive the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The VIN was not available. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Wintersville, OH, USA

Mar 282013

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that there was an abnormal vibration in the vehicle when driving various speeds. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V354000 (suspension) but to no avail. In addition, the air bag warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician was unable to diagnose the problem. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 032010

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that a loud noise was heard from the front end of the vehicle while driving an unknown speed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where the failure was located at the front lower control arm, which was severely corroded. The lower control arm was replaced. The failure and current mileage was 159,000.

- Park Forest , IL, USA

Nov 132013

Sonata 6-cyl

This vehicle was taken to the authorized service center of Hyundai on October 29,2013 for the safety recalls received from Hyundai motor America (NHTSA campaign number 13V-354 and failure of OCS recall by NHTSA).since the service personnel insisted to do 70,000 mile service I agreed and after 1 hour he called me and said there is a leak in the radiator hose. This car has always been serviced by authorized Hyundai service centers and always had persistent problems like oil leaks (changed gaskets (paid$400), power steering leaks (paid $300), brake rotors problems which I had to pay $1300 to replace at 30,000 miles etc etc.this car comes with 10 year/100,000 bumper to bumper warranty that is fake.I had also paid ($1200) for an extended coverage for this vehicle when I bought this brand new. But Hyundai did not honor it since it was a dealer package and that dealer no more exist. On October 29,2013 after the recall service I paid $400 since the service manager said he did all that is urgent for this car. Next day morning I found my car in a pool of multiple fluids.I decided to take it back to the Hyundai dealer, but on the way the car was engulfed in smoke. I pulled over to the gas station which had a work shop, found that no coolant in the car. They filled the coolant and put a new clamp on the hose which was loose. I made a complaint to the Hyundai motor America after 2 days. Case number is 6156086. Since then I escalated the case calling them several times, but no reasonable effort from there side to help me. On November 13, the car again burned and got engulfed in huge smoke when my wife was parking in the drive way after returning from work. (I have the video on my cell phone). Again I called Hyundai America and they told me to contact the dealer. I called the dealer (Hyundai of paramus) and they said the service manager will call back. But never did.

- Bergenfield, NJ, USA

Jul 112012

Sonata 4-cyl

Back when I purchased this 2006 Sonata I went back in airbag light was on the car was in less than ten minutes dealer said all set and I went in to a local garage for inspection but the car legally shouldn't pass inspection due to said airbag issue and the gentleman put it through but said airbags will not deploy due to the fuse was pulled put one in been on since and it is all over Hyundai forum same problem/2 my front suspension is rattling bad and come to find out same thing on Hyundai forum they always don't know what this noise is/3 my check engine light on code search says evap leak but need 2 say yes its not fuel cap this is a known Sonata problem fuel tank is plastic and there is a part in top that is metal rust out and causes fuel tank to crack this part alone is 1500 plus labor these cars are lemons will not buy another one this is all in 2 yrs of owning not counting there was a recall I just had done but never got notice on any prior to his I want to see all that were supposedly done thanks very dis satisfied customer.

- Coventry, RI, USA