2007 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Sonata:

2007 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

Feb 202011

Sonata

2007 Hyundai Sonata has faulty air bag lights that appear on dash safety hazard that Hyundai should have a recall for.

- Dupont, OH, USA

Jun 232009

Sonata

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. The air bag light continued to illuminated intermittently after NHTSA# 08V161000; air bags was completed in 2008. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer numerous times for repairs and they could not duplicate the problem. There were Hyundai expert investigators who have also inspected the air bags and were unable to duplicate or diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was contacted and complaints were filed; however, they have continued to refer him back to the dealer. The failure mileage was 7,284 and the current mileage was 15,000.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Nov 262010

Sonata 6-cyl

Airbag light remains on in my 2007 Sonata. Took it to the dealership and they said the driver's side seatbelt clip needed to be replaced at a cost of 500 euros (I'm a us soldier stationed in germany and I shipped my Sonata here from the us). After browsing online, this appears to be an abnormally common complain for Sonata owners.

- Apo, AE, USA

Jul 242007

Sonata

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 30 mph, the passenger air bag warning light illuminated. The passenger seat was occupied at the time of the failure. The failure would recur intermittently when driving at any speed. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer eight times yet the dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure continued to recur intermittently. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 2,000 and the current mileage was 46,000.

- Paramus, NJ, USA

May 262010

Sonata

NHTSA campaign id number: 08V161000 this is for a 2007 Hyundai Sonata passenger seat airbag switch. When my passenger sits there at times the airbag light on dash will show airbag system off. I have pictures that can be emailed to you if needed. I showed this to the Hyundai dealer and Hyundai corporation. They said because it did not fail at dealers location they can not do anything. I showed them the pictures and they still said no to fix. It would be different if I had no proof. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Help me. Thanks

- Long Grove, IL, USA

May 182007

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the front passenger side air bag only functioned on an intermittent basis. The air bag light would show that the air bag was off at least 60% of the time. He took the vehicle to the dealership and was told that they could find nothing wrong with the vehicle. He received a recall notice (08V161000) but the vehicle was not repaired as the dealer stated that there was nothing wrong with the air bags. He wrote letters to the manufacturer but received no response. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The current mileage is approximately 35,000. The failure mileage was approximately 6,000. Updated 3/24/10 updated 07/19/10

- Paramus, NJ, USA

Jan 062010

Sonata 6-cyl

2007 Hyundai Sonata has an air bag and back light problem with recall notice. The consumer stated the defects substantially impaired the use, safety and value of the vehicle.

- Abbeville, AL, USA

Nov 102008

Sonata

I had noticed that the "passenger airbag off" light in my 2007 Hyundai Sonata was sometimes coming on even when there was a passenger in the seat. We then received notice that there was a recall on this specific problem. We took our car to the dealer 11/3/08 and were advised that the passenger seat would be sent to California for repair. I picked up the car 11/9/08. Because we later noticed that the problem continued, we returned the car to the dealer 6/16/09. They again advised us they would return the seat to California for repair. I picked up the car from the dealer 7/6/09. Again the car light continued to indicate the passenger airbag was off when there was an adult passenger in the seat. One evening my husband and I drove the car to the dealer to show them that the airbag off light was on while I was seated in the passenger seat. The asst serv mgr was there and confirmed that the light was not functioning properly. On 9/23/09 I returned the car to the dealer and was met by the central region dist pts & svc mgr who discussed this issue with me. He suggested things to try (having the back of the seat in the straight up position, being sure to be seated in the center of the seat, sitting still for a few seconds after starting the car to be sure everything had engaged properly). He said we should let him know if none of this helped to alleviate the problem. None of these suggestions helped so we again contacted the cntrl rgn dist pts & svc mgr as instructed. After phone calls and discussions between him and my husband we have now been advised that nothing else will be done. Our concerns are: How do we know whether the airbag will work if a crash should occur" we have been told the airbag itself is ok, but if that's true then why can't we get that in writing? if it's just the light that's defective, why won't someone fix it? what are the legal ramifications if a passenger should be injured in our car since we are unsure if the airbag will work or not"

- Ludlow, KY, USA

Oct 152007

Sonata

On 2007 Hyundai Sonata SE limited I have lights telling me that the air bags are not operational. It some time tells me there is a passenger when there is not and sometimes no passenger when there is. Driver side air bag light stays on constantly. Now with the recall for the taillights I am thinking that the vehicle is not safe at all.

- Ft. Campbell , KY, USA

Mar 102009

Sonata 6-cyl

-the contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. The contact had his vehicle repaired according to recall# 08V161000 (air bags). After the repair he noticed that when an occupant sits in the right passenger seat, the front air bag does not detect the presence of an adult. The manufacturer was notified, and a representative concluded that they are unaware of how to remedy the failure. The failure and current mileages were 35,000. Updated 11/23/09 the idler pulley bearing was replaced in the engine. Updated 11/24/09.

- Mineral Wells, WV, USA

Jan 012009

Sonata

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. The OCS (air bag detection system) in the front passenger seat was improperly repaired by the dealer due to a recall. The air bag light does not detect when the seat is occupied. The contact believes that the passenger side air bag will not deploy in the event of a crash. The current mileage was 32,800 and failure mileage was 30,029.

- Hartington, NE, USA

May 282009

Sonata

My husband notice the passenger airbag light was coming on and going off as we were going down the highway at around 20,000 miles. This happened many times for both my husband and myself. I brought the car into 2 different dealers and was told they can't duplicate the problem. Since we didn't notice it happening until we were going down the highway for at least a half hour, I wasn't surprised that it didn't happen while test driving it at slower speeds in town. Since it didn't happen for the dealers, and the ABS light in the instrument panel didn't come on when it happened, there was nothing they could do. Now that the vehicle is out of warranty at 66,000 miles, both the passenger ABS light and the instrument light have come on and won't go out. I also noticed that the passenger seatbelt light was flashing when my husband had his seatbelt on and buckled. I am bringing it to the dealership to see if this will be fixed under warranty but am sure they will say it's not covered and will cost me.

- Fulton, IL, USA

Dec 312008

Sonata

I received a recall notice for passenger side air bag activation defect on my Hyundai Sonata 2007. I was advised that if I have this defect I should contact local dealer and make an appointment to get it fixed. I called local Hyundai dealer in burlington Vermont and they gave my an appointment for Dec. 31, 2008 at 8:00 am. I brought my car to dealer ship. I was told that they need the proof of I am having this problem of not activating the air bags. They need the person with me to show them that it does not work while person is in the car seat. I told them how come you did not tell me when I made the appointment also there is nothing mentioned about me proving it in the notice for recall. I was told that person with whom I made the appointment was not aware of the policy. I was told that it will take two weeks to fix the problem. I was told to bring the car back on Monday Jan. 5, 2009 and they will work on the car at that time. I told the dealership rep. That I can not keep taking time off from my work to get this safety problem fixed. The dealer rep. Agreed to make arrangement to get the car to dealer ship from my home on Monday Jan. 5, 2009. My concern is many people will just live with defect instead of getting it fixed because of road block from the dealer ship.

- Essex Junction, VT, USA

Nov 202008

Sonata

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag indicator remains illuminated even when the front passenger seat is occupied. He received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign id number 08V161000 (air bags). The dealer kept the vehicle for three days. They removed the seat and sent it to the manufacturer for repair. The vehicle was returned to the contact and the air bag indicator remained dim for at least a week. The failure recurred and the dealer would not return his call for approximately three weeks. The failure mileage was 53,000.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Sep 132008

Sonata 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. When a passenger who weighed 130 pounds occupied the front passenger seat the air bag warning light illuminated indicating that the air bag was inoperative. The warning light improperly identified a small stature adult as a child in the front passenger seat. The failure to properly identify the passenger could result in injury or the air bag not deploying when necessary. After the failure occurred he received recall notice #08V161000 for the air bags. The technician replaced the seat and immediately the failure recurred. The manufacturer did not provide any assistance. The vehicle has not been properly repaired. The failure mileage was 6,500 and the current mileage was 8,000. Updated 01/14/09. Updated 01/15/09.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Aug 142007

Sonata

Since I purchased my 2007 Sonata, the passenger airbag light will intermittently stayed illuminated when a small adult is in the front passenger seat. In the month of October I received the recall notice 08V161000 (airbags) and immediately called the dealer to schedule an appointment to have this fixed. When I arrived the service manager had another employee sit in the passenger seat. The light went off so they said nothing is wrong. When I got home, I called the Hyundai customer assistance center and explained my situation. They informed me that the dealer should have told the this problem may happen when small adults are in the passenger seat and that they should have used a small adult to do their test. They proceeded to tell me that they can only fix the problem if the witness the light on and can hook it up to a computer to see if there is a problem. They said I would need to wait until it happened again, pull over, do not turn the car off, call roadside assistance, when roadside assistance got there tell them they need to tow the car with the engine running to the nearest Hyundai dealer service department so they can check it out. On 11/23/2008 (Sunday) the light stayed on when a small adult was in my passenger seat, when I called roadside assistance they could tow me to a Hyundai dealer service department but since it was Sunday they would be closed. Every dealer I call says they cannot do anything for me because Hyundai said they need to actually have the light on at the service department in order to send the seat in to be fixed. Hyundai's recall process for the airbag issue is terrible and inconveniences the owner. Can someone help me get this problem fixed?

- Omaha, NE, USA

Oct 012007

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. On October 2, 2008, the vehicle was taken to the dealer to be repaired according to NHTSA campaign id number 08V161000 (air bags). The dealer stated that they should be able to locate the failure by only testing the seat, but they were unsuccessful. The dealer then advised the contact to bring in the passenger. When the passenger was brought to the dealer, the failure still could not be located. On October 27, 2008, the dealer decided to send the seat to California to be re-calibrated. On November 1, 2008, when the contact retrieved the vehicle, he noticed that the failure was not corrected. The dealer stated that nothing else could be done to repair the vehicle; however, they will have the regional mechanic inspect the vehicle. A report was filed with the manufacturer. The contact will take the vehicle back to the dealer. The failure mileage was 29,500 and current mileage was 31,000. Updated 02/03/09.

- East Islip, NY, USA

Nov 142006

Sonata 4-cyl

2007 Hyundai Sonata had recall work done for the air bag deployment switch. Consumer states that the repairs were unable to fix the problem. The consumer stated the air bag light was on when an adult was sitting in the seat. The manufacturer informed the consumer that nothing else could be done and the problem was due to how the passenger sat in the seat.

- Uncasville, CT, USA

Oct 102008

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag sensor does not detect when an occupant is in the passenger seat. The manufacturer referenced NHTSA campaign id number 08V161000 (air bags). The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were less than 35,000. Updated 11/25/08. Updated 11/25/08.

- Swanton, VT, USA

Sep 202008

Sonata

Re: NHTSA campaign id number: 08V161000 I took my vehicle to best Hyundai, the dealer in houston where I bought it, after receiving the recall notice on the subject campaign. Service writer jonathan confirmed that when I sat in the passenger seat, the dashboard "passenger airbag off" light stayed on. He said he would call me when they got in a loaner car. He never did. I eventually talked to the service manager, and he had my vehicle checked out. He said since there were no codes in the computer and no faults found, since that time when I sat in the seat the light turned off, no work was needed. But work is needed. Please help me get best Hyundai to fix this airbag problem.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA