2008 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Sonata:

2008 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Dec 012012

Sonata 6-cyl

Front passenger warning light:"passenger air bag off" remains lit even when occupied. Hazard: Do not know if air bag is activated or not. Bad OCS module" want recall honored 08V161000. Front visor remains straight down position blocking visibility. When moved to the right blocks entry/exit from vehicle by hitting people in the head. Hazard! what do I do if mfg. Refuses to fix these items--my recourse?"

- Kalispell, MT, USA

Jun 022012

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag warning light was illuminated constantly. As a result, the vehicle was unable to pass state inspection. The dealer was notified of the failure who advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in any recalls and offered no additional assistance. The manufacturer was notified who offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 110,000 and the current mileage was 126,000.

- Portland, ME, USA

Jul 052012

Sonata 4-cyl

The other day, I found the SRS airbag warning light keeps on on the instrument cluster and then I found that the seat belt warning light in the front passenger's side is also on and the "passenger air bag off" indicator is turned off when there is no passenger or luggage on the seat. I went to the local dealer and it turned out to be that vehicle has no communication from occupant classification system (OCS) module under the front passenger's seat.

- West Lafayette, IN, USA

Jun 012008

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. The vehicle was included in the recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 08V161000 (air bags) and was repaired. After the repair, the contact noticed that the air bag warning light was illuminated on the instrument panel while the vehicle was parked. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician performed the recall repair a second time but the failure continued after the second recall repair. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer a third time but the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Easthampton, MA, USA

Apr 132012

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 30 mph, the air bag and seat belt warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic. The technician stated that he front passenger side cushion would have to be replaced. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 08V161000 (air bags) that could have been related to the failure. The technician stated the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Apr 112012

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that shortly after starting, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into a parked vehicle. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was declared destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 75,000.

- Solon, OH, USA

Mar 162012

Sonata 6-cyl

I received a recall letter from Hyundai. I called and got the answer every thing is ok. But a few days ago, I tried to adjust passenger side seat. Suddenly the airbag signal turns on. I went to the dealer to fix it. They said there is no issues in my car. I do not understand where is recall. Airbag is big issue on safety. I must turn the airbag light off. Big problem is still exist. What do I do? they try to hide recall.

- Denville, NJ, USA

Oct 312011

Sonata 6-cyl

Airbag light indicator on passenger seat when occupied not registering person in seat if passenger not in seat. Seat belt light indicates fasten your seat belt with no passenger in seat, not safety @ all someone could get injured, I don't think I need to pay for it to be fixed, manufacturer issue, same problem on wsb news with another person, needs attention soon. Air bag frontal sensor/control module. I contacted all that should be concern but do not care wants my money and car payment company not taking it seriously.

- Calhoun, GA, USA

May 022011

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the sun visor failed and separated from the holder. The air bag warning light also failed and the warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The dealer replaced the sun visor and advised that the passenger side air bag sensor failed, but the passenger seat would need to be replaced because the sensor could not be removed. The air bag failure was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 92, 5000.

- Rocky Hill , CT, USA

Jul 282011

Sonata 6-cyl

Air bag light is on. Dealer states the passenger seat, only the part you sit on needs replaced. $1000.

- Lemon Grove, CA, USA

Apr 102011

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag warning light would illuminate sporadically with or without the passenger seat occupied. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 08V161000 (air bags) but was advised by the manufacturer that the they were no longer honoring the recall. The contact was concerned that the passenger side air bag would not deploy in the event of a crash. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Seattle , WA, USA

Oct 282007

Sonata 4-cyl

Driver side visor impairs visibility significantly. The visor hangs down in drivers view and stays there. We have hit our head on the visor many times, which hurts and causes more distraction from driving. We have not had luck in fixing it and do not have money to replace it due to job loss and high monthly payments. When I sit in the front passenger side, I get the "passenger airbag off" light which comes on randomly and I am way over the limit in weight for it to happen. I have sat correctly and still do as told by my dealer. (which was told to me was the cause of the light on/off randomly). The ESC light comes on right after starting to drive ex. Letting off emergency brake, and placing in 1st gear. This continues for several weeks maybe a month or more, then will randomly go away. This is a danger as we rely on our careful driving and the ESC which has saved us many times in our other vehicle. The paint started wearing a month after we bought the car (which we bought off the showroom floor and it only had 32 miles on it) and "warranty" does not cover it. We now have a polka-dotted car. It continues to rust and peel and makes us extremely dissatisfied with our cars looks as we were so proud to have bought our 1st brand new car. The payments are painstaking but we said, "it has such great reviews and it is a safe car for us and our son, so it's worth it" but you can not put a price on safety and there are several things that are impairing a safe drive especially when my husband has to drive 45 minutes to work everyday-yes, one way.

- Sophia , NC, USA

Oct 282010

2008 Hyundai Sonata red air bag light went on and would not go off after starting vehicle. Problem began on 11/28/10 at approx. 61000 recorded miles. Passenger side air bag light had to be repaired under recall following the purchase of the car (new). Light continues to stay on at 68,000 miles and will not go off when vehicle is started. Vehicle is no longer covered under factory warranty. Dealer wants $124 to check out the problem.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Mar 012008

The passenger side airbag remains off even when occupied by my 17 year old daughter (115lbs) and wife (125lbs). Hyundai initially claimed the seat was operating normally. I then received a recall notice for this exact problem. The seat has since been re-calibrated at least twice and the entire seat replaced once. However, the problem is still exists.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Jun 162010

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated the passenger's air bag warning light continued to illuminate and the vehicle was taken to the dealer. The vehicle received unknown repairs under NHTSA recall campaign id number: 08V161000 (air bags). The dealer advised the passenger would have to meet a certain height and weight specification in order for the air bag to register and activate. The failure recurred. The dealer would not assist with any further repairs. The manufacturer was contacted repeatedly. The vehicle was not further repaired. The current and failure mileages were 27,540. Updated 07/29/10 the consumer also stated the tire pressure monitoring system failed. Updated 08/03/10

- Fondulac, WI, USA

May 172008

I bought a brand new 2008 Hyundai Sonata in November of 2007. I received a letter in the mail back in early 2008 about the recall on the airbag sensor. I took the car in a number of times and the dealership said there was no issue. I took the car in another time and the dealership saw the defect. What happens is the passenger airbag will come on saying the passenger airbag is off, even if there is an adult over 150lbs sitting in the seat in the up-right position. The dealership sent the seat to some place in California to be fixed and then was returned after three days. I got the car back and I was still having the same issues. I took the car back to the dealership again a number of times to get the issue fixed. I showed them pictures and videos but they told me there was no issue with the airbag. My sales-woman suggested that I file the lemon law on the car. She said that as long as I was still under the warranty that I would be eligible for the lemon law. I called the hotline number she gave me and they said I just missed the deadline by one month. The rep for the lemon law said I had two years plus 60 days to file. My deadline would of been January of 2009. I called the hotline in February of 2009. They referred me to the BBB auto line. The only thing BBB did for me was contact Hyundai to set up an appointment with me for the district parts manager to look at the car. The first appointment was given to me with two days notice. I called the dealership to let them know that I was not able to make the appointment on such short notice. I am a manager of a store and I work 9am-6pm everyday except sundays. I was told that Hyundai would schedule another appointment with me but I have yet to hear from them. I was also told that the district parts manager would not arrive before 9:30am and the dealership closes before I would have a chance to get there in the evenings and they are closed on sundays. I also recently found two more recalls issued for my car for the headlights.

- North Port, FL, USA

Mar 112010

I T boned a another person front end of car was completely smashed in my car was totaled. My airbag sensor was checked at the North little rock service hyn Sonata. 2008 it was cleared and said to be air bags did not deploy. The police were surprised they did not go off considering my whole front end was smashed and move backwards a good 2 feet completely across my front end they made note of it in the report and did my insurance company. I did not seek medical attention. The next couple of days my neck was tight..

- Conway, AR, USA

Jan 122010

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. The contact turned the ignition on and the "passenger air bag off" warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. In addition, the "fasten seat belt" warning indicator illuminated while the front passenger seat belt was worn by an occupant. The failures occurred intermittently. The warning indicators remained illuminated until the engine was turned off. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number 08V161000 (air bags). However, the VIN was excluded from the recall defect. The vehicle has not been repaired at this time. The failure mileage was 70,443. The VIN was rejected from the system which will be updated upon receipt of the safety complaint form.

- Kingston , GA, USA

Mar 102009

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that he took his vehicle to the dealer for inspection because he received recall notice # 08V161000 (air bags). Upon inspection the technician did not make repairs, because he could not identify a failure. However after inspection he noticed that the passenger front air bag sensors misclassified an adult as a child. As a consequence in a situation that warrants, the air bags may fail to deploy. The dealer was recontacted, but no assistance was provided. The failure mileage was 8000. The current mileage was 10,000.

- Applefall Heights, MD, USA

Jun 172008

44 times the passenger air bag light has stayed on with a passenger in the seat(6-17-08/7-22-09) Hyundai co. Has repaired attempted to repair the problem Aug, 08, but the problem still exists. I must turn the engine off and restart the veh.. to clear the problem. Very concerned for safety reasons.

- Dinuba, CA, USA