2.2

2009 Hyundai Sonata brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Sonata:

2009 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 142016

Sonata

The light turns on and you try to push the switch to it back on but it does nothing. This is the second time this has happened to me. The first I had some sensor replaced but its back on doing the same thing again

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Sep 012016

Sonata

My ESC & check engine light come on and car stalls and shuts off while driving on streets and the freeway.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Sep 022016

Sonata

When start the engineering and drive for 2-3 seconds, the ESC off light will light and stays on, will not go off. I heard it had recall on 2006-2008 model for this, but not 2009models.

- Chesterfield, MO, USA

Aug 202016

Sonata

My light keeps coming on and off on the ESC not sure why or what to do.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

May 142016

Sonata

While driving the car at a rate of 30 to 40 mph, I felt a jerk in the engine or transmission speed of my vehicle, and afterwords noticed my ESC off light and engine lights had been illuminated and unable to be shut off with my ESC switch. I also noticed that I was unable to rev my engine past 3000rpm's, consequently affecting my vehicle's usable power band and rendering me(the driver) unable to control the car's overall speed. After turning my vehicle off and then back on, the problem would go away, but only temporarily until I was again driving. I then went to a mechanic to have my car's computer scanned and found that there was a problem with my crankshaft or crankshaft sensor. My computer was then reset, but the problems persisted again shortly after.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Jan 072016

Sonata

The motor in the driver side window has gone out. When I told a cousin of mine who owns a Sonata said that hyundias are known for that problem, really!!

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 012016

Sonata

ESC light keeps coming on and then going off. Happens on a regular basis.

- Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

Nov 112015

Sonata

ESC light comes on intermittently common problem with Hyundai. Previous recalls and current recall on some models. I am filing a complaints with national safety so that a recall can be extended to more vehicles. Hyundai is unwilling to fix these issues without a recall. Want people to pay out of pocket for something that is a manufacturing defect.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 252015

Sonata

While driving on highway doing around 75mph ESC off light come on...

- Dolton, IL, USA

Oct 042015

Sonata

ESC light on does not goes when using ESC button

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Jun 172015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 20 mph, the stability control warning indicator illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was restarted and the warning light shut off. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000. The VIN was not available.

- Morristown, NJ, USA

May 162015

Sonata

Hello, 2009 Sonata: The ESC off light comes on. If I shut the car off and re start, the dash light goes out sometimes; may return the next time I start the car. I heard that this is a common manufacture defect. Thank you.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Aug 012012

Sonata

ESC light still comes on intermittently. Shutting off car and turning back on will make it go off, but does not keep it off. Even after stop lamp switch replacement for the recall, the problem continues. I see many many others with continuing issue and would like to know what's being done to resolve the issue.

- Marysville, WA, USA

Jan 012015

Sonata

As I was turning the corner from a stop sign, (I believe it may have been wet on the road that morning) I was not turning fast/sharp or hard; kinda slow because of the wet ground and how that road is, I slowly turned corner and then the light flashed on and I looked at my dash and then saw that the ESC light came on and stayed on. I drove about another 20 mins to work and the light never went out. After I got to work, I cut the car off and the light went out, but later that evening when I was leaving work, it came back on and has been on ever since and today is Jan. 13, 2015. So it has been on a little less than a week now. Need some idea on what is causing it to come on and what needs to be done.

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Dec 022014

Sonata

ESC off light turns on intermittantly. The ESC on/off switch does not put it out. If I turn the car off and re start, then the ESC off light goes out sometimes. Also, it returns when I start the engine next time.

- Athens, GA, USA

Aug 302014

Sonata 6-cyl

The ESC has turned off (dash light comes on) at various times. Previously my brake switch was an issue and my cruise control would not disconnect by tapping the brake. I had that replaced a few years ago. Now, the ESC turns off after 30 minutes of driving. If I turn the car off, it is fine for about 30 minutes. Also, periodically, I press the volume adjustment on the steering wheel and it does the opposite... in other words, I press volume down and the volume actually goes up. The electronics seem to be very messed up...

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Jul 242014

Sonata

ESC off light came on after starting engine when parked. I shut car off and attempted to restart engine. The engine shuddered and would not start. I turned off ignition and waited a few minutes. I again started the car, this time with no problem and the ESC off light did not stay on. The ESC off light has come on previously(once) and subsequently (once) at highway speeds with no apparent accompanying issues. I have taken it into the Hyundai dealer twice. The dealer replaced the stop light switch the first time but the light came on again (65mph). The second time in, the dealer checked out the car but could not find any problem as the ESC off light was not on at the time of inspection. My research on the web leads me to believe that this is a significant safety issue. I am not driving the car out of town until I can resolve the issue.

- Newhall, CA, USA

May 242014

Sonata 4-cyl

The "ESC off" light was on the dash and remained until I turned off the engine. It was gone for a while then came back again often like every several hundred miles.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 292014

Sonata 4-cyl

The ESC light has been going off intermittently in my vehicle for the past 2 weeks, causing the shifter to downshift instead of keep moving the car when I press the gas, and the gas pedal becomes unresponsive. This happened on the interstate (I-78) today, and I almost got into an accident in the middle lane. I researched the problem, and it seems there was a recall on previous Hyundai models, yet Hyundai has failed to address this issue in the 2009 Sonata. There needs to be a recall regarding this issue. It is very dangerous, and could be related to the crankshaft sensor or a number of things, but bottom line, it causes the car to become unresponsive while in motion, and the driver needs to pull over, shut off the car, and turn it on again for it to maybe work, maybe not. This is a horrible headache that needs to be addressed, and I am sure that I am not the only Sonata owner with this issue. Here is evidence: www.sonataforums.com/forum/Hyundai-Sonata-engine-technical-discussion/1906-ESC-off-light-comes-intermittantly.html so please get it done and issue a much needed recall for this major safety issue before someone gets hurt.

- Somerset, NJ, USA

Dec 262013

Sonata 4-cyl

ESC off light comes on a few minutes after starting the vehicle. Resets after vehicle is shut off only to come back on a few minutes later. Additional sometimes cruise cannot be turned on and under no circumstances will engage with ESC off light on.

- Austin, TX, USA