2010 Hyundai Sonata body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Sonata:

2010 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 032016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. While attempting to use the driver side interior door handle, the chrome split and created two razor sharp edges. As a result, the contact had three lacerations on his pointer finger, which did not require medical attention. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 38,007.

- Reisterstown, MD, USA

Aug 152016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the rear driver and passenger side door handles detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the rear passenger and driver doors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN and failure mileage were not available.

- Morrow, OH, USA

May 172016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the exterior door handles fractured and detached from the doors. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was confirmed that the door handles were fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The dealer informed the contact that this issue was inherent to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Omaha, AR, USA

Jul 012014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. On several occasions, the door handles fractured and separated from the vehicle. The driver's side door handle was replaced. The contact also stated that the other door handles fractured and separated from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be inspected. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 10/19/16

- North Little Rock, AR, USA

Apr 052016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that both the rear driver and passenger side door handles were fractured and needed to be replaced. The contact mentioned that the rear passenger door failed to open when using the exterior or interior door handles. In addition, the front passenger side door failed to lock. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician verified the failure and replaced the door handles. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Florence, SC, USA

Nov 202015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the door handle fractured on the front driver side of the vehicle. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 09V317000 (latches/locks/linkages), 09V171000 (latches/locks/linkages), and 10V070000 (latches/locks/linkages). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage and VIN were not available.

- Sandy Springs, GA, USA

Feb 262015

Sonata 4-cyl

On February 26th 2015, I walked out to my car to find that the front driver's side door handle had fallen off. This is the second door handle that has fallen off on my 2010 Hyundai Sonata. The first time was the rear driver's side handle on or around 12/23/2011 at 30,125 miles. Although this is an obvious safety concern and a problem that can be found through numerous complaints, Hyundai has not recalled their door handles. This presents obvious safety concerns and despite numerous phone calls, Hyundai claims that it is not under warranty and will not be covered. It is unacceptable to have handles falling off of cars for no apparent reason and Hyundai should rectify this situation immediately.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Feb 172015

Sonata

Outside driver door handle broke and detached.

- Parkville, MD, USA

Jan 072015

Sonata

About a year ago the front passenger side door handle broke off. There was no extreme usage or force and no reason that the handle should have broken. Yesterday, January 7, 2015 the same thing happened to the passenger side back door handle. Again there was no extreme force and I rarely even carry passengers in my back seat.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 182014

Sonata

Rear passenger exterior door handle came off when passenger shut the door after exiting the car. It appears the latch (closest to the key area ) is severed.

- Farmville, VA, USA

Oct 292014

Sonata

Door handle (exterior-front passenger) broken linkage; won't open door. This is the second handle that has failed due to defective linkage.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Sep 022013

Sonata 4-cyl

The door handles on my vehicle have broken without being excessively used. My front passenger side door handle broke off while my mother was getting into the vehicle. 3 months ago I opened the back driver side door to put in groceries and the handle broke. I am the sole user of the vehicle and I rarely have passengers in my car. The dealership charges $200 to repair it each time. I have researched other forums and others are having the exact same problem on the same model and year. It's a safety hazard for me because I have to go around to the other side of my car to put stuff in or take stuff out and in many cases I am in parking lots where this could be dangerous. Someone could easily push me out and/or if I am involved in an accident and have passengers, they wouldn't be able to get out through that door since it will not open from the outside nor the inside. This is getting ridiculous.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Apr 012014

Sonata 4-cyl

The outside rear door handles broke. One came off completely, the other is still attached but does not work. It will not open door.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Jun 192014

Sonata

This actually is the second time within 2 months that an outside door handle came off in our hands. This time it was the front passenger door and the first time it was the driver rear door.. we very seldom use this car except with a driver, so it is difficult to accept this failure. We are now holding our breath for the other handles to come off. The dealership isn't offering to accept ownership for repairing this. We have seen many other complaints for same. Will not recommend this model to others since Hyundai isn't being honest that this is a problem with their autos!

- Port St Lucid, FL, USA

Jan 152014

Sonata 4-cyl

Door handles are breaking off on the back doors and the front handles are on the way out.

- Whiteland, IN, USA

Mar 132014

Sonata

Cpsc:I1430249A. 2010 Hyundai Sonata. Consumer stated the internals of the door handles on the car are made of a brittle, inferior plastic instead of metal. The consumer stated the door handles could easily break off, leaving the occupants in the vehicle trapped, in the event of an emergency. Two of the door handles broke off in one day, on the consumers vehicle.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Dec 192013

Sonata 4-cyl

My door handles, right front, left and right rear has broken off in a 3 months time. There was no pulling hard, or handling the door handles rough. I have one door handle working properly and that is the driver side, if that one breaks, I have no way to get in my car, I went to the dealer near me and they want $460 to repair, place and paint. Am I under warranty, and the answer was no, my car has 68,000. Miles. How can you not recall, or cover a defect in a 2010 vehicle. I'm so afraid my driver handle is going to break, I am going to have to replace the handles myself if Hyundai does not come up with a recall.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 212014

Sonata 4-cyl

Driver door handle broke off. No one driving, no trauma, plastic broken. Was sitting in driveway.

- Venice, FL, USA

Feb 122014

Sonata 4-cyl

Rear door handle was pulled to open the rear door, door opened but the door handle broke where it connects inside the door and now it will not work. Door can still be opened from the inside.

- Wilmington, MA, USA

Jun 042012

Sonata 4-cyl

Rear driver door handle just fell off the car when trying to open door. Had to replace entire handle assembly. Never had this ever happen in any car I have ever owned, and I have owned quite a few older cars.

- St Charles, MO, USA