CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 14 of 43)

Mar 072016

Sonata

I have excessive free play or separation of the intermediate steering shaft upper and/or lower universal joint cross shaft/yoke; missing, loose or damaged universal joint pinch bolts; improperly assembled intermediate steering shafts with misaligned splines or insufficient spline engagement preventing the universal joint pinch bolt from being secured in the retaining groove when fastened. This was recall 097. A investigation was also conducted investigation #PE10035. My vehicle is currently in the shop and when mechanic called about recall, they stated my vehicle was not affected by this based on VIN number. If this was an issue with the 2011 Sonata's then it should not matter. According to the investigation 119,383 subject vehicles have been serviced under this recall campaign and 58 subject vehicles have received replacement parts as a result. This campaign recall should be reopened and those affected should received the same because I purchased mine as a used vehicle in 2012. Who is to say that previous owner knew of the issue concerning this vehicle and decided to trade it in.

- Sunflower, MS, USA

Feb 192016

Sonata

I took my 2011 Sonata for an oil change last week and was told that the steering coupling was lose and needed to be replaced. The repair would cost me around $350. After doing some reserch I found out that there are thousands of 2011 Sonata owners with the identical problem. My car only has 60,000 miles on it and my understanding is that there was a recall on some of the Sonatas to fix this problem. Why not mine? they're obviously aware of this potentially dangerous issue.

- North Fort Myers, FL, USA

Jun 012015

Sonata

Steering is very loose, shakes, and vibrates very bad driving at normal highway and side street speeds. It feels like you could lose control at any moment!! I've been told it's the flex coupler! there needs to be a recall issued! I've seen this issue a lot on the Hyundai forums!!

- Valley Park, MO, USA

Nov 122015

Sonata

Play in the steering and rattle in column when going over bumps. Sitting still the steering wheel column makes a clicking noise when turning the wheel. While driving down the road the column makes rattle noise.

- Quincy, IL, USA

Nov 102015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at an unknown speed, there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that there was a recall on the vehicle. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering). The contact was informed that the recall was ongoing and any failure would be repaired for free. The dealer declined to do the repair without charging for the diagnostic test. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 67,088.

- San Bernardino, CA, USA

Jan 052016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that there was an abnormal noise and excessive vibration coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V759000 (steering) and 15V568000 (steering); however, it was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V759000 (service brakes, hydraulic), 15V568000 (engine), and 14V434000 (power train). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Plano, TX, USA

Mar 152016

Sonata

This happened numerous times prior to me reporting this and I'm sure I've reported this in the past. The car makes a loud noise when I turnthe wheel. It comes out of nowhere and happens on occasion. It's hard to recreate where the noise is coming from. When I take it to the dealer they are unable to recreate the noise. I've been reading other complaints and it seems to be an ongoing issue with 2011 Sonatas with the VIN starting 5npec4... odd. Please look into this.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Sonata

A clunking in the steering wheel when turning. Replaced oem struts, 4 wheel alignment, front rotors turned & resurfaced, tires rotated and balanced. Still clunking in steering.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Jun 072010

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle pulled to the left without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage and VIN were unknown.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Feb 212016

Sonata

Clunking noise from steering column when parked while turning wheel and driving over bumps.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Sonata

Steering coupler clunk and clicking when steering is turned. This is an active recall on many cars just prior to the date of mine being built.

- Waynesboro, VA, USA

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while having routine maintenance performed on the vehicle, the dealer informed that the steering coupler had failed and would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,853.

- Wileska, GA, USA

Mar 012016

Sonata

Steering wheel shakes when driving and there is a clunk when I turn. Went to the dealership and was told steering wheel coupling needs to be replaced. Charge is $350. I called Hyundai and there was no interest in helping to fix this problem. They said the problem is not affected by any recall.

- Irving, TX, USA

Mar 052015

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while turning the steering wheel slightly in either direction, the front wheels would not turn. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000. Updated 05/18/16 updated 08/03/16.

- Webb City, MO, USA

Nov 092015

Sonata

My steering column has began to rattle and shake affecting the steering of the vehicle, it is especially worsened in the steering wheel and vibrates dramatically over bumps and when braking which is very scary. I've gotten at least 4 recalls on this vehicle since I purchased it and when I asked about this particular issue the dealership immediately knew what I was talking about but stated there was no recall. Instead, they informed me that the services would be roughly around $250 to replace a $2 rubber coupler. I find this very disturbing as this is a known issue and the company will not fix it, instead I was told that continued driving will result in an accident which forces me to either pay for the repair or try to fix this myself. The symptoms started late 2015 and my vehicle only has 80K miles. If this is a defect caused by Hyundai... then it should be replaced by Hyundai. Placing a known defective part on your vehicles and leaving the expense on your consumer is unacceptable. Especially when its a safety hazard not only to the driver but anyone else on the road.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Dec 112015

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 45 mph, the steering wheel shook violently. When the vehicle accelerated while making a right turn, the steering made a clicking noise. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering axle and bearing needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 183,884. Updated 05/20/16

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Dec 012015

Sonata 4-cyl

2011 Hyundai Sonata. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle steering column coupler issues. The consumer stated the part was made out of a flimsy piece of plastic that could potentially fail at any time.

- Vonore, TN, USA

Mar 072016

Sonata

While in motion I noticed that I started having extra play in my steering. I took the car to get the alignment checked out. After repairing 2- tire rods the ase certified technician informed me that the play still existed and that it was a recalled item that Hyundai would repair. I then called Hyundai care and set-up an appointment to get the repair completed. When I arrived at the pohanka dealership they advised me that the repair had been completed in 2010 and that I would be required to pay for this repair. The service advisor did so without inspecting my vehicle.

- Randallstown, MD, USA

Mar 012015

Sonata

While driving the car the steering wheel makes a clacking sound everytime I make a turn, driving the car. This is a hazard and I am afraid of a catastrophe waiting to happen everytime I drive the car.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Mar 012015

Sonata

When driving vehicle it makes a loud clacking sound in the steering column as you turn and while driving vehicle on the road.

- Mckinney, TX, USA