CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 7 of 43)

Aug 252016

Sonata

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE with severe knocking and banging in steering wheel and column.my dealership diagnosed this as steering coupler failure. This is a safety issue despite Hyundai and it's dealers denying this fact. Steering is notably harder with low speed driving and feels uncomfortable at higher speeds. My spouse is afraid to drive the car until this is repaired. This issue is common on these early model Sonatas as well as the Kia optima. The dealerships avoid this issue until after warranty period is over, then they tell customer that it's now their responsibility to repair at $400-600.00. They are even telling customers that there is steering column failure and charging them thousands of dollars in replacement. I cannot understand how this is not considered a safety issue due to it being steering related.

- Canton, MS, USA

Sep 012016

Sonata

Brought the car in for the steering recall and they tell me the steering coupler is bad will cost $400 to replace and is not covered under the recall. I see numerous people are having serious steering issues because of this faulty part. The 2011 Sonata with 68,000 should not be having this issue. Why wasn't this included with the recent steering recall

- Atcp, NJ, USA

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving various speeds, the steering wheel shook. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000. Updated 12/01/16 the power steering electric motor coupling was replaced. Updated 12/19/16.8jb

- Flemington, NJ, USA

May 022016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 5 mph in reverse, there was a loud popping noise coming from the vehicle. Also, the steering wheel felt as if it would detach. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who diagnosed that the shaft joint was separating from the steering column and a repair was needed. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Lexington, NC, USA

Jun 012016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds or making left or right turns, there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that a steering boost needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. However, the remedy for NHTSA campaign number: 16V190000 (steering) was performed. The vehicle was then taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the steering rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,467.

- Glassboro, NJ, USA

Sonata

Takata recall issues with steering after recall-steering coupler issues with seatbelt lamp after recall-clockspring issues with lighting-interior malfunstions issues with turbo feed line issues with A/C lines leaking

- West Warwick, RI, USA

Aug 262016

Sonata

Intermediate steering shaft is giving me problems

- Tampa, FL, USA

May 012016

Sonata

Steering not precise on road (larger play in wheel) and loud clunking noise when going over bumps. Took to dealer and it was a steering wheel coupler that needing changing. Original was rigid and they changed the design on later models. Issue on play the N wheel and noise at all speeds, however felt more dangerous on freeway. Car was 5.5 years old and 86K miles of mainly freeway driving.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sonata

Steering has become "loose". it started out a month ago with just slight vibration when driving, now when turning steering wheel in either direction, wheel clicks and shifts from side to side. Also, when going over bumps, the steering wheel makes clanging noise.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Mar 092016

Sonata

When turning, a popping noise is heard and also felt in the steering. Also, when traveling at interstate speeds, the steering wheel shakes. In addition, when turning the wheel while backing the car the popping noise is also heard and felt something is very wrong, please help!

- Millbrook, AL, USA

Aug 022016

Sonata

Had no idea there was this many complaints about the steering I as well had a rattle in the steering when I went over a bump or turned my wheels it would make a loud noise, was told by someone in my hometown they had an elantra that something in steering broke and caused them to brake so I was really paranoid then. I called the dealer told me exactly what it was as soon as I told him how it was doing and that's a $200 fix I said this must happen a lot reply was yes in Sonatas and elantras why isn't there a recall my car doesn't even have 58,000 miles on it and have never had anything like this happen in any other vehicle I have owned. Once drove one for 15 years never had this problem!!

- Ripley, MS, USA

Aug 242016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, a loud clicking noise emitted from the vehicle. In addition, the contact stated that the sound was heard when making a left or right turn and became louder when driving over bumpy roads. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering coupling failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 53,000.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Aug 162016

Sonata

After recall repair on steering the steering started a harsh bumping when turning steering wheel left or right while in motion on highway or stopped. The steering went from no problem to a severe problem shortly after the recall. Hyundai service said the relationship to the recall was puirely coincidental. Problems like this usually occur gradually. The service agent stated that he had seen hundreds of Hyundai with this problem. Please investigate this as a possible recall.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Dec 142015

Sonata

I bought my Hyundai Sonata gls 2011, in 2010, and since then there have been several recalls on it. I have done my research, and have found that a manufacturer must repair, replace, or supply a new vehicle to the owner when a recall is mandated. I have taken my vehicle to the dealership for each recall, and what they do is inspect the vehicle, and in most cases, tell me my car doesn't apply to the recall as they find nothing wrong. I am disturbed by this because again, everything I have read, everyone I have talked to, etc... tells me that the dealer must do something in order for the recall to be considered complete. I am driving around in a vehicle with things wrong with it, transporting a toddler, and am stuck with finding resolution on my own. How is this fair to the consumer? the manufacturer has all of its money, as my car is paid off, and my car isn't worth anything for trade or resell due to negligence. If I can make a difference by filing a complaint, and possibly save someone's life, I am willing to try everything and anything in my power to do so.

- York, PA, USA

Aug 242016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at 65 mph, the steering wheel violently shook without warning. The contact was able to maintain control of the steering wheel with excessive force. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000. The VIN was not available.

- New Providence, NJ, USA

Aug 232016

Sonata

My steering column started clicking and getting more and more play in it. I took it to Hyundai and they already knew what was wrong with it but my car was not on the recall list-same problem as the cars that are on the list except I have to pay-put my car on that list and give my money back. Please this is a dangerous situation

- Hiram, GA, USA

Aug 232016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving various speeds, the contact heard a clicking sound when turning the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the washer located in the steering assembly needed to be replaced. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V190000 (steering). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 99,000.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Aug 182016

Sonata

I made a previous complaint NHTSA # 10896943...I just wanted to confirm when I picked my car up from the shop because my brake lights would not go off which caused my battery to die and multiple other problems, this was actually my 4th recall to be fixed on this car. They confirmed the rattling and lose steering wheel is because the steeling coupler needs replaced. There is no recall and it is going to cost over $300 to get it fixed. While the car was in the shop I found out there was 2 other recalls 6 total recalls since I bought this car. The shop had to order parts for one of the recalls so I am having to take my car back when the part arrives. There needs to be a recall on the coupler as well, if I do not pay to have this fixed and it breaks while driving it could cause me to lose steering which obviously is not a situation I want to put my family or myself in!! this needs to be addressed before someone get seriously hurt or killed due to all these failures!!

- Gardendale, AL, USA

Sonata 4-cyl

2011 Hyundai Sonata. Consumer writes in regards to electronic power steering recall notice issues, brake light switch repairs, tail light assembly problems and steering coupler/column replacements. The consumer stated there were loud noises coming from the vehicle and the steering wheel would shake, when the braking. Also, the brake light began stay on which caused problem during highway driving.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jul 162016

Sonata

I started to hear a clunking noise every time I went over any type of bump in July 2016. I took it to the dealership and they stated the sway bar end links needed to be replaced on the left and right side. My warranty wouldn't cover it so it took me a month to come up with the money to fix it. Two days ago right before my appointment to get the end links replaced the right side sway bar ended up breaking off while driving. I noticed it hanging off when I parked. I had it fixed yesterday for $285. When I picked up the car this morning now my eps light is on. Waiting to hear back from the dealership.

- Sacramento, CA, USA