CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 8 of 43)

Aug 182016

Sonata

Every time I go over a bump in the road even a bump so small most people dont even feel, a rattle comes from the steering column. While in the shop for multiple other recalls I ask them to look at this and he tells me the sterring coupler has been a major issue and probably needs to be replaced but I would need to pay to have it checked. This same issue has occurred on many other 2011 through 2014 Sonatas. It is going to cost over $300 to get it fixed. Given the many issues with this part, it appears to be one of the recalls. I love my car but this is starting to be a bit much seeing how I only have 67,000 miles on the car. Ready to sale it and get something else if Hyundai cant provide a safe and decent care for me and my family!

- Gardendale, AL, USA

Nov 142015

Sonata 4-cyl

2011 Hyundai Sonata. Consumer writes in regards to steering wheel shakes erratically, due to defective steering wheel coupler

- Florissant, MO, USA

Aug 162016

Sonata

61,149 miles and about a month ago I was on the expressway and noticed the steering wheel start shaking when I hit about 65mph, drop to around 60 and it would stop. I thought it was the tires, alignment or something else but then I started noticing that even going over small bumps or sewer lids the steering wheel would shake and make a knocking noise. I took it to a mechanic who said this was a recall and should be covered, went to dealer and they said its not covered because general warranty just expired, called and told me it was the steering coupling, it was not under recall and it would be $427! ebay has the part for $5.45! after researching and reading these complaints I am glad that I am not alone, however a lot of us are unfairly out a lot of money if we had to pay to replace this rather than risk our lives! with the eps recall and the other steering gear assembly recall, why isn't this part of it and why isnt it covered" seems to me that there are enough complaints and owners having this issue, and not all of them have made complaints here. It also seem that this is happening right after warranty, 60K miles?? ironic? this is my 2nd Sonata and I and the 2nd time that right after the warranty expires, something all of a sudden goes wrong. I have persuaded others to purchase Sonata and elantra and planned on purchasing another Sonata but this is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth. A week after my last Sonata warranty expired I started to have problems, problems that were of course no longer covered under warranty althought when it was covered they told me there was nothing wrong yet after warranty they found the issue" I ended up spending over 2K out of pocket and then decided to purchase the 2011 Sonata. I really hope this problem is investigated, corrected and added to the recalls!

- Northlake, IL, USA

Aug 082016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving various speeds over a bump in the road, the steering column rattled. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously serviced per NHTSA campaign number: 16V190000 (steering), but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the steering had not improved before the recall repair was performed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,200.

- Cerritos, CA, USA

Aug 162016

Sonata

I was driving down a highway when I noticed my steering wheel started to feel very loose and make a clunking noise. I contacted my local Hyundai dealership and was advised the it is a known issue and without even looking at the vehicle knew that it was the coupling. Although my car is on the list for the steering recall, they coupling isn't a part of the recall and they will only fix it for almost $500.

- Rotan, TX, USA

Apr 052016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V190000 (steering). The dealer and manufacturer indicated that they were unable to determine when the parts would be supplied for the recall repair. The contact was unable to determine when the vehicle would be repaired. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

Jun 122016

Sonata

Rubber steering coupling. Poor design using a cheap part which will not hold up. It will break and impair steering ability. Part cost $12. Labor $380.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

May 012016

Sonata

The steering wheel makes a clicking and knocking noise when making turns and reversing, I was told by the Hyundai dealer that the steering column has to be replaced and that its dangerous to drive because the steering column can get separated and cause a crash. I noticed that there are many complaints regarding the same issue. The car is no longer under warranty and they can do the repair at a cost to me. The issue at hand is that it is a common issue among Hyundai Sonatas and therefore I feel that they should cover the repair. It seems to be a lot of steering problems with this make and model

- Reynoldsburg, OH, USA

Aug 082016

Sonata

Steering coupling on the electric power steering deteriorated requiring replacement due to this being a safety issue failure would result in loss of steering control. This is a very common problem with these vehicles creating a unsafe condition.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Aug 112016

Sonata

While driving my wife's Sonata, I felt a distinct "clunk" in the steering column while moving the steering wheel left and right. This occurs when stopped as well as when the vehicle is in motion. I am confident that this is a very serious safety issue that deserves an immediate safety recall response. It is also my understanding that this specific steering complaint (coupler failure) has been reported by numerous Sonata owners with no remedy issued by NHTSA. Why is that" does someone have to lose control of their vehicle and parish, before action is taken" please help...tombstone justice is not the answer!!!

- Harvest, AL, USA

Aug 112016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that an abnormal clicking noise emitted from the steering wheel without warning. The contact stated that the failure occurred after the vehicle was serviced per NHTSA campaign number: 16V190000 (steering). The dealer was notified, but the vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Hollidaysburg, PA, USA

Mar 262016

Sonata

My steering had a popping sound in it and I just got it in March and they told me it was just a one of the sounds now it has got worse and everytime I go at high speed or hit a bump it rattles and jerks off the road.

- Sulphur, OK, USA

Jul 262016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 30 mph, the steering wheel became loose. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering coupler failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 43,000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jul 292016

Sonata

Clicking noise coming from the steering wheel when turned right or left. The noise also happens when hitting a rough spot or bump. I have researched this problem and found that this problem is affecting a large number of owners. Hyundai has failed to issue any remedy for the complaints.

- Paris, TX, USA

Aug 092016

Sonata

How many more complaints will it take for Hyundai to recall the steering coupler issue. The steering is very loose and makes a clunking sound with excessive vibration at highway speeds to the point that I feel this vehicle is unsafe to drive. The issue started at about 60, 000 miles, out of warranty of course. I am told by the dealer that the culprit is a 4 dollar rubber part, see attached pic, that will cost hundreds to repair. Along with the other recalls related to steering, I'm hoping no one gets killed before this gets recalled.

- Poquoson, VA, USA

Jul 052016

Sonata

While sitting still, when steering wheel is slightly turned to one side or the other, there is a loud clicking/popping noise. This also happens when turning while driving. When driving and hitting a slight bump, the clicking/popping is so bad that it sounds like the steering wheel is going to break into pieces. There is also some "play" in the steering wheel.

- Clinton, MS, USA

Jul 282016

Sonata

Driving on interstate steering began getting loose, frequent shimmy. When backing up at a gas station the steering was making clunking sounds and had more play in the steering wheel. Went to a dealership next morning, the power steering coupler was replaced.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Jul 072016

Sonata

Having a poping noise in the steering column.when turn to left or right.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Aug 012016

Sonata

The steering on my 2011 Sonata makes a popping noise when I turn the steering wheel right or left when the car is stationary. When driving it sounds like the steering wheel is going to separate from the rest of the car when I drive over any potholes, bumps, or seams in the the road. I am fearful the steering wheel will separate from the car at speed. This occurs consistently when I drive the car.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Aug 042016

Sonata

When turning the steering wheel 5 percent in either direction L or R, there is a clunking sound. The bearing at the bottom of the steering column needs to be replaced the car in question only has 43,000 miles and is 4 months past its warranty, cost id $350

- North Palm Beach, FL, USA