CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

3.2

2011 Hyundai Sonata suspension problems

suspension problem

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Dec 272016

Sonata

Fracture of both front coil springs in suspension. Resulting in dangerous situation in which coils could have ruptured tires resulting in dangerous situation. I recognized issue early and had both front coils replaced and sway bar links replaced as well. I see that earlier Sonata models from my same year have been recalled for this concern. I brought this to attention to local Hyundai dealer - they stated my VIN showed no recall. Obviously, recall should be expanded to include my model (made in Nov 2010 in Alabama).

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Dec 262016

Sonata

The steering wheel feels loose and when I try to turn the car acts as if your on ice or like I'm loosing control of steering the vehicle, I was advised by discount tire that the from suspension issue are causing my inner tires to wear and the dealership was only trying to sale me tires for $600 and did not mention any issues with the inner tire on that the tread was a little low. I have been driving on the highway and surface streets when the steering problems occur.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Aug 092016

Sonata

There is an active campaign 133 about my coil possible fracturing, which mine did im confused to why its not listed as a recall for my car I live an Illinois and all other recalls have applie?

- Harvard, IL, USA

Nov 012016

Sonata

I have excessive free play in my steering wheel while the car is stationary and my steering wheel vibrates and shakes while I drive the at high speeds or changing lanes. Also my suspension feels loose when going over bumpy roads.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 012016

Sonata

While driving on the long island expressway in queens NY, an extremely busy highway, the control alarm on my front right tire completely snapped off. This caused me to lose control of my car and go across 3 lanes on a major highway with cars traveling 70 mph past me. Luckily no cars were hit and luckily myself or nobody was killed. Whats more disturbing instead of the dealership doing it's job to make sure my car is completely functional, they let me leave the lot with an issue they clearly knew about and just didn't say anything to me. After all they provided a complimentary wheel alignment so they clearly were examining my wheels at the time. And up to this point the car had been driving fine, smooth, no issues. I just had an oil change about a month back and nothing was noted to me by the mechanic then. I spoke with the dealership a few months back and they told me there had been a recall on the rear control alarms, which I know are about the same parts as the front control alarms. My car wheel just snapped off and I almost died on a highway as a result of this car. And I have been reading consumer complaints that similar issues have happened and there were possible recalls on the front control alarms to the wheels. This incident occurred on 10/1/16. It has been 10 days and Hyundai corporate has not contacted me. They are trying to avoid being responsible for a clear safety and road hazard with my vehicle. In addition my engine ceased on fathers day 2014 and they repaired the engine. Then in April 2016 I had metal fragments in my engine and they performed a complimentary wheel alignment. 3 months later my control arm is snapping of my front passenger tire.

- Woodside, NY, USA

Jul 162016

Sonata

I started to hear a clunking noise every time I went over any type of bump in July 2016. I took it to the dealership and they stated the sway bar end links needed to be replaced on the left and right side. My warranty wouldn't cover it so it took me a month to come up with the money to fix it. Two days ago right before my appointment to get the end links replaced the right side sway bar ended up breaking off while driving. I noticed it hanging off when I parked. I had it fixed yesterday for $285. When I picked up the car this morning now my eps light is on. Waiting to hear back from the dealership.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 192016

Sonata

Over the past several months a progressively worsening clunking noise, with a reverberating rattle, has been coming from the front left side of the car when driving over bumps. In addition, the steering column has made progressively worsening clicking noises and became progressively looser when driving over bumps, to the point where the steering wheel would visibly shake back and forth. A Hyundai dealer said that this issue was caused by a failed steering column rubber coupler (a bushing in the steering column), that this issue is well known, and that eventually it would hinder the ability to safely drive the car. Fearing for my safety, I had the dealer replace the coupler at a cost of $375. Given the age of my vehicle and comparatively low mileage I do not believe that this issue reflects normal wear and tear and is instead related to a defective part.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 112016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact heard a knocking and grinding noise coming from the driver's side of the vehicle when driving in reverse or turning. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the front driver side coil spring was fractured and needed to be replaced. The contact had the coil springs, and front end tie rod assemblies replaced. In addition, a wheel alignment and an oil changed were performed. The failure recurred. The contact stated that the fob key failed to unlock the front driver side door. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,612.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jan 152015

Sonata

This vehicles steering column shakes, rattles, and pops while driving, turning, etc.. I have had to also replace 4 front tires and several front end alignments within a years time frame. The tire couples inside every time I have had to replace from abnormal wear and wires are visible on the inside of the tires. When I reach 55-60 mph the whole front end shakes violently, and as stated front end alignments do not last long.

- Texarkana, TX, USA

Mar 252016

Sonata

Hyundai recall 133: On Friday, March 25, I was driving and in motion when I heard a metalic, clanky sound when I drove over a few bumps in the road. I finished my trip and again while driving on the way back to my home, I heard it again and heard metal drop on the road underneath the car. I looked out the rearview mirror and saw a metal piece bouncing and then come to a stop in the middle of the road. I pulled over and picked up the part. I had my husband inspect it and he said it may be from the front coil spring. We immediately took the car to our local mechanic and had them inspect the vehicle. The mechanic confirmed that it was the front spring coil that had eroded and fractured. The mechanic also informed me that the spring was under recall. However, when I inquired about the recall, Hyundai motors of America informed me that my car was not covered under the recall notice 133. I have an open case with Hyundai motors of America (case # 8968274).

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Mar 252016

Sonata

While driving the car I heard a metallic noise when I hit small bumps/cracks in the road. I pulled over to inspect the vehicle and could not find anything out of the ordinary. Further down the road I heard a bang/pop and a clunk. I then saw a small piece of metal fall out from under the passengers side of the car. I turned around and found the piece in question. It is a part of the front coil spring. I did some research online and found that Hyundai has a recall for this exact problem. I called the Hyundai customer care line and was told that my car did not fall under this particular recall. My car was manufactured 4/28/10 and the cars being recalled were manufactured between 12/11/09 and 02/28/10. I called the dealer and was told that the repair would cost $529. I was told that because of my manufacture date, that my car is not covered. I asked him if the springs involved in the recall were different than the ones in my car" he said he didn't know. If there is a known issue with these springs breaking at what point did Hyundai switch to a different spring? my car was manufactured within 2 month of the effected vehicles, my assumption is the spring in my car is the same spring that is in the recalled vehicles. Hyundai did not know there was an issue with the spring until 10/2014..... how many vehicles have the exact same spring installed as the "official" recalled vehicles" this is a known issue and Hyundai has a current recall for it, my vehicle should be repaired under the same recall, I'm sure it has the same broken spring as the others.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Mar 202016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 20 mph, the contact heard an abnormal noise coming from underneath the vehicle. Upon further inspection, the contact noticed that the front passenger side coil spring fractured. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 15V629000 (suspension); however, the VIN was not included. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Mar 112016

Sonata

A clunking in the steering wheel when turning. Replaced oem struts, 4 wheel alignment, front rotors turned & resurfaced, tires rotated and balanced. Still clunking in steering.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Jan 252016

Sonata

I have 71,000 miles and was told by Hyundai dealership, I need to replace axle. It is my understanding that I think in 2010 there was a recall, obviously they did not fix the problem. On the internet I am seeing several complaints about the axle on the 2011 Sonata.

- Naples, FL, USA

Oct 012015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V629000 (suspension). The parts needed for the repair were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time to provide the repairs. The dealer was unable to verify when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was made aware of the delay. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Dec 012015

Sonata

Noise from left front of car diagnosed by dealer as "rack and pinion housing worn out" slight vibration in steering column going over bumps.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 272015

Sonata

First this is apart of the campaign 133 recall. A remedy is not available yet I am not willing to pay to correct a design flaw. Regarding the recoil spring issue. Second separate issue all four oxygen sensors went bad at the same time how is that possible.

- Aliquippa, PA, USA

Nov 122015

Sonata

Recently purchased a vehicle. Didn't get a proper test drive. Turns out the car has major defects especially in the steering. We figured out that this vehicle had defects while in motion on a city street

- Frisco, TX, USA

Jul 092015

Sonata

I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata and recently had to have both front axles replaced, as the front end clunked when turning the wheel to park or driving over a pot-hole. The front end made a sound like it was "bottoming out". I was informed by the manager at kerry Hyundai of florence, that there is a recall up to 2010 Sonata's regarding the front axles. I contacted Hyundai regarding replacing the axles as the axles are usually the last part that wears out on an automobile. It cost $640.76 without tax to have them replaced. Hyundai relayed to me that the highway department handles recalls and referred me back to the dealership (like they are going to refund me)! thanks

- Fort Mitchell, KY, USA

Sep 222015

Sonata

When doing 70mph and hitting the brakes the front end starts to vibrate, under 70mpn no vibration. Plus my steering wheel making a clicking sound.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA