CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

3.2

2011 Hyundai Sonata suspension problems

suspension problem

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

May 312014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at 35 mph, there was an abnormal clicking sound in the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the front driver side axle was fractured and the steering wheel intermediate shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The contact stated that the front driver side axle was replaced three times and the front passenger side axle was repaired once. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 57,779. Updated 10/06/15

- Downey, CA, USA

Apr 212014

Sonata

Steering column recall (campaign 97) was identified as performed by Hyundai on November 12, 2010. While having repairs done to 2011 Hyundai Sonata, the mechanic identified that the car had a recall which was characterized by the steering problems/shaking identified. Hyundai was contracted and they scheduled an appointment to have the car diagnosed stating their policy... "once a recall / always a recall." I really did not really like it when I was told that if the problem was not the steering column recall, I would be charged for the diagnosis. I really did have a problem when I was told that they would not tell me what the charges may be. Compounding this, the rims have corroded to the point where they are almost completely black. This has been contributed to be corrosion of some sort by three independent inspectors. When I asked Hyundai mfg. & ES Hyundai for repair/replacement under the corrosion warranty, I was told this is not covered under their corrosion warranty. My repeated requests to have a service manager/technician to look at the rims and help explain what the problem is have been repeatedly ignored. Why can't these people say what they mean and do what they say?

- Summerdale , AL, USA

Aug 072015

Sonata

The coil spring on the left front broke, we don't know when but the car was in for something else. It seems that there are many complaints about the coil springs breaking and luckily we weren't hurt by this. This seems to be a manufacturing defect that shouldn't be passed onto the consumer. The car is only 5 years old with about 55000 miles on it. What happens when the other side breaks and we might be on the highway. I'm worried about this and I believe some kind of recall should be warranted. Thanks

- Tolland, CT, USA

Jul 072015

Sonata

While driving on the highway and attempting to brake the steering wheel shook rapidly. The steering wheel makes a click when in park and I move the steeping wheel slightly off center to the left or the right. When driving at any speed and go over bumps on the road the steering wheel makes a clunk noise. The steering feels loose when driving on the highway at speeds of 60+. this is an issue that needs to be recalled. When I spoke to the dealer they said that my car doesn't have any recalls on the steering! but found right here on this website, shows the tsb#10-01-32. We purchased this car in 2011 with the full waranty intact from crain Kia, which also owns crain Hyundai the vehicle was a dealership demo vehicle. After running a VIN search on this website, it has not been inspected or repaired. This is unsafe and puts the lives of not just the owners/drivers of this vehicle but other drivers on the road as well in severe danger. At this time, if nothing is done, we will pursue legal action against Hyundai North America and crain Hyundai / Kia. For their lack of professionalism, selling "unsafe" cars to the public! please reopen this case immediately and have them repair these darn cars. Sincerely, us soldier and family

- Cabot, AR, USA

Jun 252015

Sonata

Driving and heard a loud "bang" and felt vibration from front of car. The steering became very difficult and car was almost uncontrollable. Pulled over to side of road, exited vehicle and could see car was sitting very low to ground on front passenger side, tire was flat and could see interior side wall was shredded. Replaced the tire with spare and drove approx. Three miles to tire dealer as we suspected it was only a tire failure at that time. They looked at car and stated that the coil spring had broken and had cut the tire. Subsequently had car towed to dealership for repairs. Had been driving car earlier in day with no apparent issues and had not hit any potholes or other road hazards that would have broken a coil spring. There were no issues with road conditions at the point of incident either. Extremely concerning that this would fail with no indication of any issue with suspension/steering system. This seems like a premature time for a coil spring failure. Hyundai has also refused to provide any warranty service as it is 4,000 miles over the 60,000 mile warranty....updated 09/22/15

- Grand Ledge, MI, USA

Jun 232015

Sonata

In the evening of the 22nd the traction control light came on and would not go away when I pressed the button also the car would have a long lag between pressing or releasing the accelerator and the car responding. The next morning when I began driving again the traction control light did not come up but when I began to accelerate and got to 20mph the car suddenly stopped accerating and the engine went idle until I released my foot from the pedle and reapplied it when it would go again with no additional issues. This pattern repeated itself each time the car dropped below 20 mph.

- Clemmons , NC, USA

Sep 012014

Sonata

My wife and I bought a brand new 2011 Hyundai Sonata in late 2010. We have had several recalls but none of them have been related to a steering and suspension problem we have been experiencing. A vibration seems to be coming from the right side and the steering wheel makes a popping noise when rocking it back and forth. There is an increased vibration/shaking at 70 mph or higher speeds in the steering/suspension without much vibration in the steering wheel and it is getting worse.

- Lenore, WV, USA

May 182015

Sonata

Heard a ratlle sound under the driver wheel well, but can't see anything. Continue to drive at 30mph down the road. A few minutes later, heard something felt off. Stopped the car, got out and saw a piece of front suspension coil spring broke off. Got to the dealer 2 days later, fixed the problem. 3 weeks later, the same happened to the passenger suspension coil spring.

- Lindley, NY, USA

Apr 102015

Sonata

In early April, 2015 the vehicle was not driving right. Took in for front inspection and found left front coil spring had broken and damaged the dust boot. According to the mechanic, this part is not supposed to break and can be dangerous if it does. As Hyundai has no recalled on this model for the coil spring, I was advised to make a complaint with ntsb and in doing so, found link for this site.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Apr 102013

Sonata 4-cyl

When driving car the right side wheel sounds like it is rubbing I have brought it to the dealer several times and have been told that this model is known to make the sound they stated that they changed out parts and it will keep make that sound when going over a incline or pulling up a hill or into a parking area.

- Hineston, LA, USA

Mar 022015

Sonata

While at low speeds I hear a little noise coming from left side of car. I took the car to pep boys and they said that I need to replace. Front struts and rear shocks and sway bar links. Now I need to check my warranty.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Feb 232015

Sonata

Model: Hyundai Sonata 2011 limited issue: Rattling/clunking/ knocking sound from suspension you have to know this issue about Sonata 2011 limited. Shock/strut knocking at low speeds 1mph to 40mph sounds is easily noticeable. I mostly drive on freeway/highways/toll and 90% but the sound has started to come loud and annoying. I am afraid of my dear life while driving this car, since at speeds 60 and above the steering too is making knocking sound and hard to control the car at while on turns.this is common issue what I found from forums online and want this issue to be bought to Hyundai notice to issue recall on suspension this is a life threatening situation for any driver who is driving this car since I feel the frame or suspension would break while driving. www.Hyundai-forums.com/yf-2011-Sonata-I45/162764-2011-Hyundai-Sonata-SE-2-4L-suspension-problem.html www.Hyundai-forums.com/yf-2011-Sonata-I45/134299-2012-loaded-Sonata-SE-needs-new-axle.html.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 272011

Sonata 4-cyl

2011 Hyundai Sonata. Consumer writes in regards to automatic transaxle shift lever.* ld the consumer stated several months after the vehicle was purchased, he was notified to make an appointment with the dealer to have the vehicle inspected with respect to campaign 928. The consumer was informed the vehicle had a slight erratic pull/drift to the right. The invoice stated the problem was correct. However, the consumer stated the problem was still present. After the second tire rotation at 16, 000 miles, a pulsating sound developed as the vehicle slowly accelerated. The problem was diagnosed by the dealer as choppy inner edges on all four tires. Their solution, was four new tires and a wheel alignment. The consumer stated he believed the campaign was not completely performed by the dealer.

- Middlebury, CT, USA

Dec 142011

Sonata 4-cyl

This vehicle has pulled to the right since I drove it off the lot. I have been to multiple dealerships to address the issue, no one has a fix. Dealership has told me it my driving style that is causing the issue. Dealership has told me the tires are not balanced, and rotated the tires. Dealer has done alignment, told me a special tool was needed to fix that they did not have, claimed a recalled part was the issue. After recall was repaired the car still pulls. I have had 3 full sets of tires done, working on set # 4 now - all previous sets were worn out due to camber issues.

- Tinton Falls, NJ, USA

Aug 302013

Sonata 4-cyl

2011 Hyundai Sonata turbo--when driving, the front end pulls to the right. I am replacing tires yearly. The shop says they can't find any problems, turbo when applied smells like burning rubber.

- Apex, SC, USA

Jan 012013

Sonata

Two issues: 1. I purchased the vehicle used in December 2012. Immediately noticed a left pull, so the dealership agreed to align the vehicle prior to us driving off the lot. Since then, the car has never been properly aligned with the dealership consistently stating "you must be hitting too many potholes". I drive a Sonata, not an off-road vehicle. Absolute bologna! I've gone through 2 new tires and three alignments since with the left pull still occurring. Finally, I decided to give up on the dealer and take it to a local repair shop who informed me I'll need to install an aftermarket camber bolt kit and this is a known issue in Sonatas. I'm hoping this will fix the problem, but it seems utterly ridiculous that none of the Hyundai dealerships would ante up and take the blame for this and consistently took my money for an alignment that never fixed the problem. 2. loud clicking when turning left or right at any speed which is getting significantly worse. The clicking was mild when I first purchased the vehicle and has since gotten significantly worse. When I spoke with the dealership about this, they want to charge me another $200+ to fix. **needless to say, I will never purchase a Sonata again. They don't take responsibility for anything.

- Cornelius, NC, USA

Apr 232014

Sonata 4-cyl

I purchased my 2011 Hyundai Sonata on Dec 15,2013 from a Hyundai dealer. In April I noticed that my vehicle was pulling to the right side. I took it to a different location and after several attempts of them correcting the issue they called me and told me they could not figure out what was wrong. I then took it to the Hyundai dealer and they replaced a sensor and told me it was done. Again my car will not stay in the lane. It pulls so much to the right and is very unsafe. I took it in again and they are telling me it is just the alignment. They even stated that someone else in my house hit something. I looked online and saw that there are numerous complaints of cars pulling to left or right. I was told there was a recall campaign 927 but they only did an alignment on December 23,2011 and nothing else was done but then it was closed, indicating that it had been fixed. They want me to pay for the alignment and told me my tires are bad because of how it drives. Hyundai is aware of the issues and gives me the run around.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 232014

Sonata 4-cyl

I was informed by several co-workers that there were recalls for our car, the 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The problems that are affecting my 2011 Hyundai Sonata are: Exterior lighting: Brake lights: Switches, brake light and steering: Gear box: Shaft sector. The only recall that the Hyundai dealer honored was from campaign 123. Campaign 110 and 122 will not be honored due to the manufacture date of my vehicle which is March 28, 2011. If my car is having the same problems as the other 2011 Hyundai Sonatas why can't my vehicle be repaired under the recall. I feel that this is unfair to consumers of the 2011 Hyundai Sonata due to a manufacturing date. Please give me some type of remedy for this matter!!! had I known about the business practices of Hyundai I would have never purchased this vehicle!!!

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jun 102014

Sonata 4-cyl

My wife was driving the car about 35mph and heard a very loud mechanical sound, said like something metal/major fell off under the hood. She pulled over and looked for anything on the side of the road that she thought looked like it came from the car. I had the car checked by Hyundai, but nothing. I have noticed the car pulls to right a bit, she does not. It also makes a bang or popping sound while backing up sometimes. I have not heard that till yesterday. I started looking around, checking tire pressure and spotted a broken right front coil spring. There is about 4" of the coil spring missing and now it all makes sense. It must have broke off, got thrown by the tire and bounced off the bottom of the car. Thank god this did not happen at high speed with grandkids in the car and punctured a tire like the veracruz recall. Hyundai add the Sonata to your recall list !

- Saraotga Springs, NY, USA

Feb 032014

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated there was a loud banging noise under the vehicle while driving 65 mph. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer several times and they were not able to duplicate or diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000. Updated 10/07/14 updated 3/16/2015

- Plantation, FL, USA