Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata suspension problems

suspension problem

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jul 162013

Sonata 4-cyl

Dear sir/madam, I'm contacting you to report what I strongly believe is a defect in the steering unit of Hyundai Sonata, 2011. In an article that was published in September 2010 at yahoo news, a recall problem of the Sonata was reported after "complaints have come in about feeling looseness while driving or abnormal sounds coming from the steering columns." ( my problem with Hyundai matches the description of the complaints, with more complication: 1) when I start the car, without driving, if I steer the steering wheel left and right, I could hear an obnoxiously loud noise in the form of "clicking." One consumer videotapes this problem in this video 2) when I drive on a road that is less than perfectly smooth, I can hear a loud rattling noise, a noise that appears to be coming from loose parts in the column. The noise becomes most obvious and loudest when I drive slowly on brick roads. 3) the problem becomes most dangerous when I drive on the freeway. As I slow down to take an exit, the steering wheel goes viciously vibrating, making it hard to control or keep stable. This vibration is associated with a loud rattling noise coming from the steering column. I took the car to the Hyundai dealer and talked to Hyundai usa, both parties distanced the problem from campaign 97 (a steering intermediate shaft recall). The dealer says that I need to replace the entire steering column on my expenses. If the dealer is right that the problem is not related to the recall, then it is a new problem that needs to be addressed and investigated. Please take into account that the safety of Hyundai Sonata drivers could be endangered by this problem if not fixed. I hope to hear from you soon regarding this matter.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Feb 032014

Sonata 4-cyl

Steering column makes clunk/rattle noise driving down rough road, bumps, and small potholes at high and low speed, it more noticeable at low speed. While at standing it makes no noise.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Feb 082012

Sonata 4-cyl

I bought my 2011 Hyundai Sonata back in February 2012 from enterprise car sales and ever since I bought it I been hearing a knocking sound in the front end of my car while im driving from maybe 10mph to 40mph. But on the highway when I reach speeds over 50mph I don't hear anything. I have taken it to the dealer numerous of times I have had certified mechanics check it and they told me it could be one of the motor mounts but the dealer never wanted to change it they kept telling me the car was fine. Now its going to be a year later and my car has that same knocking sound in the front but now its extremely loud. I can feel the knocking through the steering too so now I don't know what to do.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 292013

A weld holding the front subframe assembly to the main frame failed, allowing the subframe to separate from the frame. This stress caused the sway bar link end to break, causing reduced cornering stability, traction, and a loud thumping sound when the car experiences weight shifts to the left front wheel. The servicing dealer informs me the car is unsafe to drive in its current condition.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Oct 012013

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the steering wheel began to vibrate violently. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was being driven. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign id numbers: 10V426000 (steering) and 10V457000 (steering). The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician informed the contact that the steering column and front driver's side axle would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired for the most recent failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 67,382. Updated 12-26-13

- Apopka, FL, USA

Sep 272013

Sonata 4-cyl

While driving at approximately 10mph I heard a rattle from the front of the car. I suspected it was suspension related but then noticed there was some play in the steering. Turning the steering wheel left and right just slightly causes the sound to occur. On the NHTSA website I found there was a recall for steering issues for my year and model car. I took it to key Hyundai in jacksonville and they verified the steering column and intermediate shaft were the source. My car is not included in the recall even though it has the exact issue. The dealer wants $1310.75 to repair my 2 year old car.

- Saint Marys, GA, USA

Jul 182013

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the ball joints, axle and steering needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 31,000....updated 08-08-13 the consumer stated the bearing in the front wheel, joint assembly, bearing bracket, arm control unit and knuckle to the front axle, were all replaced.

- Greenwood , IN, USA

Jul 162013

Why didn't Hyundai alert the nthsb of a new recall regarding lower control arm assembly for 2011 Sonata ltd?

- Lakewood, NJ, USA

Jun 112013

Sonata 4-cyl

When the car is running in park, the steering wheel everytime when turned or rocked in a right to left motion, a clunking loose sound will be felt and heard.

- New Smyrna Beach, FL, USA

May 032013

I own a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. I have taken my vehicle back to Hyundai in killeen to have the alignment repaired two times. When I initially received the car it pull very hard to the left, then once they "fixed it" it still pulled. I paid initially to have the car certified and alignment it part of it.

- Belton, TX, USA

Mar 302011

The vehicle pulls strongly to the left. A very well documented case of a defective vehicle. Was told by the dealer there is nothing they can do. The car is a lease and I cannot get rid of it and continue to pay for a car which, if I don't hold the wheel with the force of god, will spear off to the left and possibly into a tree.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Mar 042013

I just bought a certified pre-owned 2011 Hyundai Sonata limited. Pretty much since the first time I took it on the interstate, the car wants to drift, mainly to the left but sometimes to the right. There are several complaints about this on the web. I took it back to the dealer and they looked at it. They said the tire pressure was the problem. It is less pronounced pulling to the left but now its all over the place. This vehicle will not track straight and that is a dangerous thing imo. I do a lot of interstate driving.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Nov 152012

Sonata 4-cyl

I had this car from Feb 2011 to present, and the car is constantly drifting left. I almost hit another car when it happened. After this incident I switched out my tires (due to outer wear) and had 2 alignments performed by licensed technicians. The car still drifts left. The technician recommended that the car should be looked at by a body repair shop.

- Englewood, CO, USA

Jun 172011

Sonata 4-cyl

Vehicle pulls to right side all the time brought to dealer did recall for pulling front struts wheel alignment replaced L/front strut again and wheel alignment car still pulls to right.

- Port Monmouth, NJ, USA

Jun 142011

Sonata 4-cyl

From the initial test drive I noticed a pull in the steering. It was mentioned and I was told that it was a simple alignment issue. After purchased I asked about the steering. Unfortunately, (I was told) the dealership did not have the road force balance machine for them to properly test the alignment. I waited till November before this was available. The 2011 Sonata wandered the road and pulled constantly to one side or the other (with no rhyme or reason). At one point it would pull so hard the vehicle would "V-line" off road once letting go of steering wheel. After several repair attempts (replaced struts, camber bolt kits, front tires and several alignments) the pull was still there. There was nothing more Hyundai can do and I was told "that's just how the car is". I have gone through two arbitration hearings with the BBB and Hyundai still continues to say "there's nothing more we can do, the car is performing as it is intended to". negative Hyundai!!! the car still pulls and wanders as it pleases and I have had sway bar links break during normal driving conditions. Hyundai is saying I have hit an "animal" and the impact has bent both of the sway bar links and broke one on the right front. All though there is no body damage from this animal and no scrapes on the undercarriage. I never hit anything in the car and feel this breakage is due to added pressure on suspension/steering parts from adjustment made by Hyundai to "try" and get car to drive straight. My warranty has been denied and Hyundai refuses to make the repairs. So don't let the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty let you make the decision when buying, when they can deny your warranty anytime they want with any made up excuse. I have been fighting for well over 8 months for a refund on this car and I'm still fighting!!

- Port Republic, VA, USA

May 312011

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the tires emitted a loud roaring noise while driving on the highway. The vehicle would also emit a clicking noise when the steering wheel was turned. The dealer replaced two tires, cv joints, and cv axle. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 18,000 and the current mileage was 35,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Statesville, NC, USA

Jan 252012

Sonata 4-cyl

Service campaign 927 confirmed left pull completed straight trak installed struts. Alignment. Update eps. Still pulls left on crowned roads. Steering light and wanders at highway speeds. Called dealer and was told "it is in spec and to contact Hyundai Consumer Affairs". they will not fix. It is now worse than before they tried to fix. I have contacted Hyundai Consumer Affairs two times with no response.

- Whitehall, OH, USA

Jul 082011

Sonata 4-cyl

On 7/7/11, I purchased a 2011 Sonata gls. The next day I notice the car pulled to the right at various speeds. I set up an appointment for 7/18/11. I picked up my vehicle and immediately noticed that the vehicle was still pulling to the right. I had to continue to correct the vehicle so I would not go into the next lane or off the road. I brought the car in on 7/25/11 and went on a test drive with the technician. Technician stated he could see the vehicle pulling right. The vehicle was released to me and immediately I noticed the vehicle was now pulling to the left especially at higher speeds. The service department rotated the tires and performed a four wheel alignment. Now I noticed that the vehicle had returned to pulling to the right at all speeds. Brought the vehicle in 8/2/11 and the service manager test drove the vehicle with me and verified a pull to the right. I returned on 8/4/11 to pick up my vehicle. Service manager stated that the tires were road forced balanced and an alignment was performed. Again, immediately as I left the dealership I noticed that the vehicle was still pulling to the right. I returned to the dealership and stated that it had not been corrected. The service manager test drove the vehicle with me again and reconfirmed that the vehicle was pulling to the right. After the car was looked at again it was test driven by district parts and service manager who released the vehicle. I was frustrated as the vehicle was still pulling to the right and I had to continue to correct the steering. However, I was moving out of state in 3 days and would need to deal with issue after the move. Car broke down in pa during move and was there for 2 weeks for a ground wire. Received a urgent recall notice in the mail and brought car back to original dealer. Car was released to me and is still pulling severely to the right after being in the shop 6 times.

- Hamden, CT, USA

Aug 012011

Sonata 4-cyl

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T has been tracking and pulling to the left and has a side to side motion that has caused my daughter to become nauseous since I bought the car new on August 1, 2011. I went to two different dealerships on three separate occasions. Both dealerships acknowledge that it pulls to the left and the side to side motion. Both have not been able to fix the problem even after three attempts. Hyundai has done a voluntary tsb campaign (#927) to fix the problem but so far the all the dealerships have done is balance the tires and align them and that has not fixed the problem. At highway speeds the car feels unsafe but Hyundai doesn't seem to care. I tried calling their Hyundai usa toll free number but have not had any help from Hyundai usa. I think that there needs to be a full recall to have Hyundai correctly address and fix the problem. I've spent almost two months and three trips to dealerships to have them mickey mouse around and tell me that the problem was a "simple balance problem" or a "simple alignment problem" when clearly the car still pulls to the left and moves side to side. It seems to be that Hyundai did not do proper engineering because the problem is only with the 18" wheel and tire package.

- Walnut, CA, USA

May 102011

Sonata 4-cyl

Purchased car on May 10, 2011 at local dealership. Didn't have new car window sticker in car or at dealership. I was told I wasn't looking hard enough for it. Dealership got me one in July. I have pictures of test drive with no window sticker. Found hail damage on car after the paperwork while still at dealership--finally fixed in July. Found out while doing paperwork the car had 1500 miles on it--didn't know that until then--should have stopped then---in my book not new!!!! car pulled to left real hard on way home from dealership--realigned front end--still pulling left. Dealership service dept. Admits to recall and doesn't have equipment/tools to repair. The car had deep scratches on front passenger side bumper at delivery--finally fixed somewhat--you can still feel and see the scratches if looking for them. Drivers seat fraying apart at material at 2900 miles. Trim damaged by hail repair person--still waiting on that repair. Just left dealer complaining to manager about everything and found paint flaking off of rear drivers wheel. Strong smell of burnt charcoal coming from trunk area---manager in service dept. Said that's a normal smell. I have purchased 5 new from same dealership and none of the others have had that smell. I purchased a 2011 tucsan the same day--no problems. Owner of dealership said that they are allowed to sell new cars without "new car window stickers", I looked it up--it's illegal. Also told there was communication problems about the sale of my car---not telling me everything--like the scratches, hail damage, replacement of parts. The manager today said he did not know anything about the Sonata's pulling to the left---I told him to google it. I have never had so many problems on a new car or even a used one. Current mileage is 3100 miles. Just did a carfax and found no repairs from dealer? I guess they are beyond the law of reporting it.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA