2012 Hyundai Sonata drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Sonata:

2012 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 152012

Sonata 4-cyl

On three separate occasions, the most recent, 2/4/13, I required quick acceleration to avoid a collision. A sudden thrust of the accelerator pedal should result in rapid acceleration, instead the car hesitates, de-accelerates, presumably while it tries to find a solution (battery vs gas), stalls, then slowly accelerates. This delay is dangerous and will result in an accident. Specifically, I approached a busy intersection where the traffic signal was not working. Drivers treated the intersection as a four way stop, as they should, when it was my opportunity to turn left, I executed my turn normally, but then noticed a truck crest the hill to my left at a high rate of speed about block away, I tried to accelerate quickly to finish my turn and get out of the way. The car felt like it powered down, sat there for a second, then accelerated slowly. The truck swerved and slammed on its breaks to avoid colliding with me. I have been driving for 30+ years, I am a safe, defensive driver. I have also owned another hybrid car (2007 Toyota Camry) where this problem did not occur. I have reported this problem to the dealership where I acquired the vehicle and filed a complaint with Hyundai corporate office. Additionally, two other issues I have experienced with this vehicle are; I have driven this car for 1,883 and recorded my mileage and gas purchases using the tools from fueleconomy.gov and have realized an overall mpg of $23.73. For a car that is supposed to achieve between 34 and 39 mpg, it misses the mark. The hybrid battery will not charge above 50%. occasionally, during highway driving, the hybrid battery will charge above 50%, but quickly depletes the battery to below 50% within a few miles. I wonder if this affects the cars lack of electric reserves when evasive driving measures are required. Hyundai service indicated the battery charge levels are normal.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jun 012012

Sonata 4-cyl

This is a hybrid vehicle. It chugs, hesitates and almost stalls when accelerating from a complete stop. The service people tell me that it is normal but this is my 3rd hybrid and this is not normal.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Mar 082012

Sonata

Vehicle check engine lit and all dash lights lit upon starting the car. It would not let me shift it into any other gear. Car was towed to dealer for several days with them consulting with Hyundai. They replaced some control module to repair it. -------------------------- two weeks later, the same problem occurred. Idiot lights were on after starting the car, but I could not shift it out of park. Dealership swears its a different issue and they are consulting Hyundai yet again. My car has been in the dealership for over a week now and they can't tell me when I'll get it back.

- Cumberland, RI, USA