2012 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Sonata:

2012 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Sep 292011

Sonata 4-cyl

Three problems cropped up immediately or shortly after initial ownership. The car pulls to the right, and the steering wheel must be turned to the left of center to compensate when driving on a flat surface. Second, the sunroof area developed a loud creaking sound when the car is driven through a turn or over uneven road surface. Third, and most alarmingly, the cruise control intermittently fails to disengage when the cancel button is pressed. It also intermittently fails to engage when the set button is pressed. If the cruise control has failed to disengage, tapping the brake or pressing the main on/off button will cause it to disengage. However, the confusion that comes from the cancel button failure may lead to an accident. The dealer cannot replicate the problem during a short test drive and refuses to replace or test the electronic modules.

- Jeffersonton, VA, USA

Sep 012011

Sonata 4-cyl

I have had issues with my Hyundai Sonata gls from day 1 (purchase date 8/31/11) with regards to the steering alignment. The car will either drift or pull to the right. I returned it for service 3 days after I purchased the car and they "fixed the alignment". I returned the car on 10/10/11 with the same problem and they told me that Hyundai recently issued a recall just a "couple of weeks ago" which I cannot find and that Hyundai has found a fix for this problem. They checked the alignment and said it was "spot on" and they did something to the tires. According to the service center this will fix the problem. The car still drifts to the right.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Sep 252011

Sonata 4-cyl

At highway speeds I noticed a slight drift, car seems to be teetering on center and require lots of corrections to go straight. Feels ok at lower speeds.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 132011

Sonata 4-cyl

Have been in dealership 3 times for repair all 3 times car has been out of alignment. The car has a sharp pull to the right that can cause a very serious accident if you do not pay attention. I was by Hyundai dealership that they will not work on it and that they say it is in company specs. They told me not to take my hands off the wheel when I am driving.

- Ocoee, FL, USA

Sep 052011

Sonata 4-cyl

Vehicle pulls to the right all the time. Dealer indicates alignment is ok per their alignment calibration machine but the mechanic acknowledges it is still pulling to the right. The frustrating part of all of this is that the 2011 Sonata we test drove also had the pulling to the right issue and the salesman just told us it needed an alignment.

- Cumberland, RI, USA

Aug 222011

Sonata 4-cyl

Car pulls to the right start in the left lane on a five lane road it will be in the first lane in one city block had it back for service three times still the same.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 292011

My brand new 2012 Hyundai Sonata pulls hard to the right. Took it in for repair, dealer said nothing was wrong. Left the car dealership and nothing was fixed. Still pulling hard to the right. I set another appointment to take the car back in.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 092011

Sonata 4-cyl

Vehicle pulls right. Constant correction needed when driving. The slightest amount of crown slope makes it pull to the right. Even on a flat surface like a parking lot it will drive to the right.

- Quakertown, PA, USA

Jun 302011

This is for a 2012 Sonata. Your options to select this make and model only showed 2011 as the option year. This complaint is for a 2012. I purchased a 2012 Sonata in late June. Technically this is the second one I purchased. I can explain it this way. The first one I bought had a horrible pulling issue. It pulled right aggressively. Before I took delivery I test drove it and had the salesman drive with me. Even he said, this is dangerous and not right. The dealership put it in the shop and they said they fixed it with an alignment. I test drove it again and it was even worse. I refused to buy that car. They found me another one. At first it seemed to drive fine on the test drive. I should have driven it more then a couple blocks. Same issue as the first one after I took delivery. The car pulled and still pulls right, especially at highway speeds. Border line dangerous on the highway. So, the dealership took it in again and worked the camber. It still pulls now it goes to the left or right and is very unpredictable. I have researched this on line. Edmunds forums, various Sonata columns, yahoo forums etc¿there are people all over the country having the same problem with the 2012 Sonata steering. Some Sonata techs say it's the same problem they had in 2011 when the recall was announced. This will be the third time this vehicle is in the shop and my frustrations driving it are high. It can be dangerous at highways speeds. Constantly having to correct the vehicles path.

- Katy, TX, USA