3.9

2012 Hyundai Tucson engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Tucson:

2012 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments

Oct 232016

Tucson

I was driving the vehicle on the garden state parkway at approximately 70 mph. I heard a bang come from the engine area and the car lost all power. All warning lights came on and smoke was coming out from front of car. I coasted to the shoulder. Fortunately this was early Sunday morning with very little traffic on the highway. T could have been rear ended. I got out of car and noticed a puddle of oil under the car. I had the car towed home. The engine has failed. The car had regular oil changes with synthetic oil. 104K mileage. This car uses the 2.4 theta engine. After researching the failure, I have found this is the same engine used in the sonata and Kia sportage that also have a problem with engine failures.

- Bayville, NJ, USA

Sep 232016

Tucson

Traveling straight on interstate, spontaneously lost all power to vehicle after a loud metal crunching sound. Hardly was able to drift out of interstate traffic on to shoulder of road. I was unable to turn ignition over, oil and engine caution lights were on. No visible issues or leaks from engine. One owner vehicle, traveled mostly highway miles, had regular maintenance from dealer ship where purchased from, and only had 70776 miles on a 2012 model.

- Shamokin, PA, USA

May 072016

Tucson

While driving on the I90 through snoqualmie pass in Washington, moved to overtake another vehicle in the overtaking lane. As I moved into the lane and accelerated, the engine dropped down a gear and a whining noise was heard. At this point I had total loss of power and was travelling at ~70mph. I was able to safely pull over onto the side of the road and the car was towed. There was medium traffic at the time however I was on a slight downhill so didn't rapidly lose speed. Hyundai carpros in renton reported that the piston had failed and had punctured the engine casing.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Jun 052014

Tucson 4-cyl

I pushed on the gas to accelerate and nothing happened except the rpms spiked to around 5-6K and the engine sounded as if I were in neutral and revving it up aggressively. This has subsequently happened dozens of times when traveling between 30 and 65 mph. It is scary, especially when I need to accelerate, say in a passing situation or when traveling to get out of the way. I've taken the vehicle to Hyundai (sheppard in eugene/springfield, or) twice for this issue. Both times, they kept it overnight and returned it to me without fixing anything saying: 1) I was the only one in the world who reported this problem, 2) they couldn't replicate the problem, and 3) there is nothing wrong with my vehicle.

- Oakridge, OR, USA

Dec 202014

Tucson

The contact owned a 2012 Hyundai Tucson. While parked in a driveway, the vehicle caught fire. The fire department was able to extinguish the fire. A police and a fire report were filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- Glenpool, OK, USA

Mar 012013

Tucson

2012 Hyundai Tucson. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle failure to get the fuel economy as advertised. The consumer stated subsequently, he began having trouble with the vehicle; on intermittent starts. The car would idle below 1000 RPM, shudder and misfire. The dealer was unable to locate a problem.

- Patrick Afb, FL, USA

Jan 242013

Tucson 4-cyl

I should start by stating that this has been an ongoing issue with this vehicle since I got it last year. At random times, while driving, my vehicle will not allow me to go above 2500K rpms, even with the gas pedal fully depressed. This may happen while I am on a slow road or, as today, when I am on the highway. It is a safety concern because I will need to merge onto the highway or speed up for some other reason and suddenly I have no power. I will be going 30mph and entering a 70mph roadway. The only way to stop this is to pull over, turn the vehicle off, and then turn it back on. I have taken it to my Hyundai dealer multiple times and they have been unable to fix it or address it in any way whatsoever. It is a huge safety issue that they will not address.

- Belton, TX, USA